[comp.os.os9] msdos -> os9

hartlemp@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael P Hartley) (05/10/91)

   I am having some trouble transfering files from an MS-DOS machine to
a DEC rainbow running OS/9, via kermit.  The problem is that on the dos machine
the files are fine, but after transfer, the files on the OS/9 machine are not
correct.  All of the return characters have been replaced with control-J's.
since ^J is a backpace, this really screws up attempts to replace them with
returns at the os/9 end.   Any suggestions?

---Mike

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (05/10/91)

hartlemp@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael P Hartley) writes:
>   I am having some trouble transfering files from an MS-DOS machine to
>a DEC rainbow running OS/9, via kermit.
>The problem is that on the dos machine
>the files are fine, but after transfer, the files on the OS/9 machine are not
>correct.  All of the return characters have been replaced with control-J's.
>since ^J is a backpace, this really screws up attempts to replace them with
>returns at the os/9 end.   Any suggestions?

Those are linefeeds :-).  If you have the "tr" command, just do a:

 tr \0a \0d oldfile >newfile

To change them all to returns.  best - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

PS: I think kermit has an option to do that?  Not sure.

pete@wlbr.imsd.contel.com (Pete Lyall) (05/10/91)

CTRL J's are LINEFEEDS.

Make sure that both the originating and the receiving Kermits
are setup for text or ASCII modes. On os9, this amounts
(usually) to omitting the '-i' (image mode) flag on the command
line.

On the DOS side, make sure that your kermit isn't setup for
binary. On my Procomm Plus, I believe binary is the default.

Pete Lyall

--
Pete Lyall [GTE]   Compuserve: 76703,4230   Internet: pete@wlbr.imsd.contel.com
                UUCP: {hacgate,jplgodo,voder}!wlbr!pete

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (05/13/91)

In article <12127@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> hartlemp@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael P Hartley) writes:
>   I am having some trouble transfering files from an MS-DOS machine to
>a DEC rainbow running OS/9, via kermit.  The problem is that on the dos machine
>the files are fine, but after transfer, the files on the OS/9 machine are not
>correct.  All of the return characters have been replaced with control-J's.
>since ^J is a backpace, this really screws up attempts to replace them with
>returns at the os/9 end.   Any suggestions?

control-J isn't backspace (that's control-H).  control-J, if I remember rightly,
is line feed.  MSDOS uses CRLF for end of line, OS-9 uses CR.

Kermit takes care of that conversion, unless you explicitly tell it not to.
When you're sending text files, *don't* type "set file mode binary" at either
Kermit, and don't use i or -i on the Kermit command line.

	James Jones