[net.works] More Visi On

BRACKENRIDGE@USC-ISIB@sri-unix.UUCP (08/12/83)

From:  Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@USC-ISIB>

Here is a response to my Visi On message and a reply as carried in INFO-IBMPC.

Date: 7 Aug 1983 15:00-PDT
Subject: Visi-On
From: William "Chops" Westfield <BillW @ SRI-KL>
To: brackenridge@ISIB
Remailed-To: info-ibmpc

Just how much of a "virtual machine" is provided by Visi-On?
Normally, when someone mentions a virtual machine, I envision
something like Smalltalk, where object code is trasnportable from
machine to machine, and the underlying "engine" ends up interpreting
byte codes or some such.  However, from the general tone of your
message, I got the impression that Visi-On provides more of an
operating system type environment - You have a set of system calls
that are callable from many languages, and are present on all
machines.  Sort of like Unix, which is the only major operating system
that I can think of that runs on a bunch of different hardware.

Bill W

------------------------------

Date:  7 Aug 1983 2103-PDT
Subject: Re: Visi-On
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@USC-ISIB>
To: William "Chops" Westfield <BillW@SRI-KL>
cc: info-ibmpc

I suppose "virtual machine" is a misnomer as it has come to mean so
many things as to be "virtually meaningless".  I believe the preferred
terms are Visi Host for the low level stuff and Visi Machine for the
higher level code.

The system calls are not callable from many languages -- Visi C is the
only language.  Visi C is a fairly restricted subset of C designed for
maximum portability and to be independent of word size while currently
optimized for 16 bit words.

I think in the Visi On system we see something fundamentally different
from any portable operating system like Unix or CP/M.  The Visi On
system incorporates a model of a machine with a large virtual address
space, a bit map display, and a mouse.  Currently a hardware
implementation of such a machine is not competitive in the office
marketplace.  The best compromise was to take a cost effective machine
like the PC and write a lot of assembly language code to do raster-ops
and memory management in software.

I think Visi Corp was wise not to adopt a p code model. It makes
terribly inefficient code on the current generation of PCs and
as Perq and Xerox have shown us it is difficult to compete in
the marketplace with special purpose hardware.

Some of the UCSD Pascal people were at the Visi seminar.  Their intent
is to write Pascal to C translators that could port the UCSD base of
programs into various C environments.  I haven't looked in to the
details, but I suspect some built in Pascal functions could be
directly mapped to Visi On machine calls.

Many of the low levels of the Visi On system may be made available in
silicon.  I expect many of the PC compatible companies will make super
set PC machines to exploit the Visi On model.  Currently, for example,
the Compaq has a high resolution screen mode that is a superset of the
IBM-PC graphics capability.

Some of the people from the Intel display processor chip design team
were at the seminar.  The current Intel display processor (and the NEC
equivalent) are selling about as well as stand alone word processors
or dumb video terminals.  Texas Instruments has already announced
their chip entries in the raster-op race.  They have a dual ported RAM
that has a built in shift register and a raster-op engine based on the
TMS320 architecture (fast multiply, built in barrel shifter, etc.)

The Intel 286 processor is code compatible with the current 8086 but
some dozen times faster.  An upgrade to this chip would speed up
memory management and provide memory protection while requiring no
changes in user or Visi Machine level code.  I don't think MS-DOS or
applications that run directly under MS-DOS will be able to utilize
the 286 without extensive recoding and a basic change in memory
management and process structure.

Unix is a great program development environment. While not
competing in that area, Visi On corrects some of the basic
flaws in Unix. I already mentioned that Visi On has a bit
mapped screen/mouse model of interaction.  More importantly the
Visi On environment improves on the Unix shell in that programs
can pass typed structured data. Currently the only exotic
data type that I know of is spread sheet format, but if I
decide my activity wants to import and export LPC encoded
speech I can register my structure with Visi Corp and other
applications may or may not accept it.  While this is not as
exotic as one might find on a Lisp machine it is practical and
efficient as the types are checked at installation time.

-------