[comp.os.os9] Games/MM1

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (06/10/91)

cheselka@cactus.org (Mike R. Cheselka) writes:

> [...] said there was a hardware limitation to the graphics
> co-processor that prevented 256 colors at the high end of
> the scale( that is, 720x480, etc.). Can this be gotten around?

No, not without adding another video card.

> What about the trouble with group permissions?
> Does 2.4 support modules directories?
> Is OSK being kept up with OS-9000?

Dunno about the user/group.  No module directories yet.  Better ask
all those on comp.os.os9, perhaps.

> Will the MM1 come with Source Level Debugger( SrcDbg)?
> Any of the other debuggers?

Regular Debug and SysDbg, plus one in rom with its own screen/keyboard
driver.  Sysdbg is handy since it can link to a stub file with all your
global variable and subroutine names, and use those.

> Any news about the coming ANSI C compilier or X-windows for the MM1?

Sounds like Q's for Microware again.  IMO, an X client on the MM/1 might
be okay, but a 68000-based server would probably be awful slow ;-).

One piece of good news: the DMA hard disk driver works great if you format
at 1:1 interleave.  One guy with a WREN was getting 1.8megabytes/second
under OS-9, which I wouldn't have believed possible.  1MB/sec will probably
be more common with most HDs.

> What communications programs will come with it?

As far as I've heard, the MW Com and STerm... xmodem and B protocols.
Others are being worked on, I hear.

(crossposted to comp.os.os9)  cheers - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>