[comp.os.os9] When will cc68 support ANSI?

manning@halley.tmc.edu (Arthur T. Manning) (06/04/91)

It would be nice to be able to have a real ANSI compiler.  Is GNU cc
the best bet for the forseeable future?

Maybe some of those smart Microware programmers could get busy on something
like this now that the bug-free (dream on...) XWindows release is complete.

--
Arthur T. Manning   <manning@halley.est.3m.com>
3M Center 518-1    St Paul MN  55144-1000        \___/______

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun4.131723.20007@mmm.serc.3m.com> manning@halley.tmc.edu (Arthur T. Manning) writes:
>It would be nice to be able to have a real ANSI compiler.  Is GNU cc
>the best bet for the forseeable future?

We will be releasing an ANSI C compiler (as well as K+R for backward
compatibility) in the near future.  Check recent _Pipelines_ for details,
availibility will be noted here.
 # Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill  #
 # Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond OS/2!!  #
 ######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!######

cheselka@cactus.org (Mike R. Cheselka) (06/12/91)

I am definitely getting an MM1 and would like to ask a few questions.
Will MM1 owners be able to upgrade to the new ANSI c compiler due out
by the end of the summer? I would like to have srcdbg or gdb available
to make it easier to learn c. I've two heard different versions: the MM1
comes with srcdbg and the MM1 does not come with srcdbg? What about terminal
emulation? Gif viewers? Usenet support? Does umacs support elisp?
Thanks for any answers I get.

--
cheselka@cactus.org
cs.utexas!cactus.org!cheselka

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (06/13/91)

> I am definitely getting an MM1 and would like to ask a few questions.
> Will MM1 owners be able to upgrade to the new ANSI c compiler due out
> by the end of the summer?

While I can't speak for what IMS or MW might do, my own response is:

I don't think IMS should be asked to pay the extra costs.   Heck, they
went to great length and expense to include the software they do already.
OTOH, perhaps someone (or a bunch of users) can make a mass purchase in
order to get a discount on the new compiler?  Or maybe IMS sales will
be large enough that they can make the purchase if the demand is there.

There will also be the free GNU C and C++ compilers, btw.

> I would like to have srcdbg

So would I, but it also costs a lot.  See above.  I hear it's nice tho.

> What about terminal emulation? Gif viewers? Usenet support?
> Does umacs support elisp? Thanks for any answers I get.

People are talking about setting up a group or at least a mailing list.
I know there have been GIF viewers for quite some time now.
   best - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>