[comp.os.os9] New 68030 board

mkelly@maxzilla.encore.com (Michael Kelly - Consultant) (06/10/91)

The following information is posted on behalf of a new company. The product
they make is called the SYS030.  Please do not send E-mail, you may contact
them directly at:

	Cogent Engineering
	45 Lakeside Ave., #20
	Marlboro, MA 01752
	(508) 624-6447

The following is description of the product(s):

	Conceptually, the SYS030 can be viewed as a base board with optional
I/O modules attached.  Physically, the SYS030 is 7" x 10", while the indiviual
modules are 2.8" x 6".  Three modules are mounted parallel to the SYS030 above
it while three more are mounted under the SYS030.  Most modules will be one
module sized (2.8" x 6"), but a custom module may span two or three module
spaces.

	Functionally the SYS030 has the following features:

	25Mhz MC68EC030 - This chip is performance and pinout compatable
	  with the MC68030, but has no MMU.  For those applications that
	  require the MMU a 68030 may be substituted for an additional cost.

	16-25Mhz MC68882 - A socket on the SYS030 allows the customer to add
	  this chip for math intensive applications.

	2Mbyte DRAM - This memory is standard on the SYS030.  Additional
	  memory can be added through the MCHMEM dram module.  The system
	  allows up to 48Mbytes of memory (parity is optional on MCHMEM).

	Two RS-232 serial ports - A single SCC2692 provides the console I/O
	  and one additional channel.  The MCHSIO module adds 8 additional
	  RS-232 ports for serial intensive applications.

	Printer port/ clock tick - An MC68230 chip provides a PC compatable
	  parallel printer port as well as the system tick timer.

	Clock/calendar - An MK48T02 device provides a battery-backed clock/
	  calendar as well as 2000 bytes of battery-backed static ram.

	Boot EPROM - A single 28-pin socket holds a 64Kbyte EPROM that may
	  be used to hold the boot code.  The MCHROM module allows the user
	  to add additional EPROM/ROM devices for non-disk applications.

	Six Module spaces - Up to six different modules may be added to
	  the SYS030.  The module bus provides the following features:
		25 Mhz syncronous operation
	 	32 bit data
		26 bit addressing
		Low noise termination
		Interrupt request/acknowledge per module
		Bus request/acknowledge per module

	The following is a list of the modules that are currently available
for the SYS030:

	MCHDSK - Combination floppy/SCSI controller board.  Both the floppy
	  and the SCSI interfaces come with 32Kbytes of on-board buffer.
	  The floppy interface supports  720K and 1.44 Mbyte 3.5" drives.

	MCHSIO - Eight RS-232 serial ports using four SCC2692 devices with
	  on-board interrupt vectoring.

	MCHNET - Thickwire or thinwire ethernet interfaces.  On-board 64Kbyte
	  buffering off-loads the cpu for most applications.  Based on the
	  SEEQ NQ8005 network interface device.

	The following is a list of modules that are currently in development:

	MCHMEM - 4 or 8 Mbytes of parity protected dram. Available Sept. 91

	MCHROM - Up to 8 32-pin jedec compatable devices organized as either
	  8 individual byte addressed devices or as two 32-bit addressed
	  banks.  Flash eproms supported.  Available Sept. 91

	MCHVID - Inmos G300 based video display controller.  Resolutions
	  supported will be 1280 x 1025 x 1, 4 or 8 planes.  Vram will be
	  used for high-performance.  Contact factory for availability.

	Note that each module is designed so that up to four of each module
may be installed in the SYS030 at a time.

	The SYS030 was designed from the ground up as an alternative to
VME based systems.  The chosen operating system is Microware's OS/9.  A
complete port of the OS is currently available (Internet will be available
Aug. 91).  Prices for OS/9 are not yet set as negotiations with Microware
continue.  Prices for the hardware are as follows:

	SYS030 w/2M memory			$995

	MCHDSK Floppy/SCSI controller		$295

	MCHNET Ethernet controller		$395

	MCHSIO 8 port serial I/O controller	$195

	Prices for modules not yet released will be announced at a later
date.

jcobie@ssc-vax.UUCP (John C Oberholtzer) (06/12/91)

We are currently using PDOS operating system for development of software for
the 68030 VME bus boards. The compiler we have from Force Computer has
too many limitations.

Any info on replacement Multitasking Operating systems would be a help.
We would like to develop code on a PC (386 or 486), debug the code then port
over to the 68000. We could compile on the PC and port to the 68000 or what
makes the most sense... It would be nice to debug on the 68000 also.
We are using c but would like to switch to c++ also. Ada bah.

Any input email or address to:

John Oberholtzer   206-773-7006
Boeings  8Y-61
PO 3999
Seattle Wa 98124-2499

Thanks much..

rick@Eyring.COM (Rick Graham) (06/19/91)

In article <4096@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> jcobie@ssc-vax.UUCP (John C Oberholtzer) writes:

>We are currently using PDOS operating system for development of software for
>the 68030 VME bus boards. The compiler we have from Force Computer has
>too many limitations.
>
>Any info on replacement Multitasking Operating systems would be a help.
>We would like to develop code on a PC (386 or 486), debug the code then port
>over to the 68000. We could compile on the PC and port to the 68000 or what
>makes the most sense... It would be nice to debug on the 68000 also.
>We are using c but would like to switch to c++ also. Ada bah.
>
>Any input email or address to:
>
>John Oberholtzer   206-773-7006
>Boeings  8Y-61
>PO 3999
>Seattle Wa 98124-2499

PDOS currently offers an ANSI C compiler that I am sure will take care of
the limitations you are fighting.  This compiler is available for native
and cross development.  Cross hosts include PC, SUN, VAX, and HP systems.
Remote source level debugging is also available.

We will also have a C++ compiler available before the end of this year.
If you have any other questions please contact me at:

Richard Graham   801-375-2434
Eyring
1455 W. 820 N.
Provo, UT.  84601