[comp.os.os9] Multi-User Chat System

Steve@sandv.UUCP (Steve Laisch) (06/13/91)

Okay.. here is what I would LIKE to do and if you can, can you people tell me
how to do it, how to go about it, or perhaps if it is even possible. I would
like to write a multi user chat program in BASIC09 for the 512K Color
Computer 3. The type of chat I am talking about is on (708) 964-5281, (708)
432-0928, & (708) 481-1157 just so you know what I am talking about. What I
am wondering about is what kind of subroutines I have to set up and what kind
of kind time-saving help is built into OS9 Level II that can help
me.(I$_READ, I$_SEND, ect).. Any help will GREATLY be appreciated :-).

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (06/15/91)

In article <97@sandv.UUCP> Steve@sandv.UUCP (Steve Laisch) writes:
>Okay.. here is what I would LIKE to do and if you can, can you people tell me
>how to do it, how to go about it, or perhaps if it is even possible. I would
>like to write a multi user chat program in BASIC09 for the 512K Color
>Computer 3.

It's definitely possible, since RCIS BBSs running on CoCo 3s under OS-9 do it.
How to do it?  There are various possibilities--perhaps it would be easiest to
have a data module that processes running chat could link to, insert text into
and read text from.  One would need some sort of mutual exclusion mechanism,
of course.

	James Jones

Steve@sandv.UUCP (Steve Laisch) (06/17/91)

Whats an RCIS BBS?

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (06/19/91)

In article <98@sandv.UUCP> Steve@sandv.UUCP (Steve Laisch) writes:
>Whats an RCIS BBS?

It's a BBS running with code written by a fellow named Steve Rottinger,
who runs RCIS HQ BBS (somewhere in New Jersey).  It is a multiline BBS
(easy to do with real multitasking), and there are various such BBSs
around the US (they call one another at night and trade messages, much
as FIDO BBSs do).  I believe RCIS stands for "Rainbow Connection Information
System."

	James Jones

Warren.Hrach@f610.n202.z1.uucp (Warren Hrach) (06/19/91)

-> From: Steve@sandv.UUCP (Steve Laisch)
-> Date: 17 Jun 91 02:47:57 GMT
-> Newsgroups: comp.os.os9

-> Whats an RCIS BBS?
-> .

Steve,
   RCIS BBS is an OS9 Lev II package that has most of the capabilities
of the RiBBS BBS package. However it does not support FIDO capabilities.
I was quoted a price of $150 for the package. RiBBS on the otherhand is
Shareware and registration is $10 and has wide support.
For more information on RiBBS you may contact my BBS at (619) 224-4878
8n1 2400 baud. Or RiBBS HQ at (303) 343-6707.

I am a RiBBS beta site and provide a 5 disk set with RiBBS ready to run.
Just ask about 'RiBBS to Go'. It is free.

-Warren Hrach, sysop Ocean Beach BBS, RiBBS beta site.
-

--
UUCP: ...!ucsd!serene!jbbs!610!Warren.Hrach
INTERNET: Warren.Hrach@f610.n202.z1.uucp

Steve@sandv.UUCP (Steve Laisch) (06/21/91)

Can you give me some #'s for some RCIS systems?

Steve@sandv.UUCP (Steve Laisch) (06/21/91)

Yeah but I dont want to run a BBS!! I want to run a chat system.. for
examples call (708) 964-5281, (708) 481-1157, & (708) 432-9028..