[rec.humor.d] RACIST JOKES

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (11/20/88)

Note: I crossposted over to news.misc for the sake of bringing out into
the open JEDR's veiled threats against Brad Templeton.  The question of
what is or is not funny belongs in rec.humor.d, where followups are di-
rected.

In article <666@fcs280s.ncifcrf.gov>, shore@ncifcrf (Melinda Shore) writes:
>						What I find appalling,
>profoundly appalling, is that we as a community tolerate it.

And what I find saddening is the existence of humorless people.

>							       There
>is nothing funny about racial, religious, or sexual stereotyping.

Sure there is.

>When somebody tells a racist joke at work, what do you do?  Do you
>let the teller know that the joke is offensive and not amusing, or do
>you laugh?

It depends.  If the joke is FUNNY I laugh.  If the joke is UNFUNNY, I
do not laugh.  If the joke seems to be not only UNFUNNY, but seems to
be an absurdly thin cover for racist hatred and so on, my reaction fur-
ther depends on how big and/or stupid the person telling the joke is.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720