[rec.humor.d] Legislating courtesy

RWC102@PSUVM (R. W. F. Clark) (11/29/88)

Nancy Gould writes:

[Referring to how wonderfully liberal and enlightened thing called censorship]

>It's called politeness and consideration for the feelings of
>others.

Neither politeness nor consideration for the feelings of others
can, or should, be legislated.  One might think that referring
to Brad Templeton as being the next worst thing to a Nazi is
hardly polite or considerate.

>No one person can be the authority.  I think it just depends on how
>many people complain.  If the number is significant, maybe the joke
>really is offensive.

There is no law against being offensive.  If there were,
perhaps Makowsky, Richmond, and their ilk would have been
imprisoned quite some time ago.

fc

RWC102@PSUVM (R. W. F. Clark) (11/29/88)

[Referring to a wonderfully liberal and enlightened thing called censorship]