[rec.humor.d] The Good, the Bad, and the Stupid

clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long) (11/23/88)

A play involving various evil-doers making stupid comments.  I could
have let them stand on their own (the gibber content is that high),
but I couldn't resist a few cheap jabs.

Cast of characters:

The good:  Brad Tempelton, persecuted moderator of rec.humor.funny .

The misguided:

Jonathan E. D. Richmond, leader of the misguided:

"My ultimate goal -- to reply to question 4 -- is the elimination of
racist jokes from rec.humor.funny."

My ultimate goal -- to reply to Jonathan Richmond -- is the
elimination of Jonathan Richmond.

action which will result in the elimination of racist "humor" from
rec.humor.funny."

racist humor, [noun], something Jonathan Richmond doesn't like.

"Gary, let's please not speculate on what I might or might not do --
I have simply given Brad Templeton notice that if he cannot find
sufficient control to be reasonably selective by himself, I am
inclined to take further action.  I haven't said what that action is."

Start filling those bottles with gasoline ... that'll show 'em.

"As it so happens, I have been informed that Brad Templeton in fact
owns his firm, so there doesn't appear to be a question of contacting
his employer (there may be other options, though.)"

Looks like you'll have to switch to the backup plan.

"As I said in an earlier posting, I very much support the right of
freedom of speech, but that is rarely the only "right" under consideration.
The right of ethnic and religious groups to not feel persecuted is
another and, by the way, Canadian law is much stricter on this than
American law.  Mr. Templeton happens to live in Canada, so we should
consider the Canadian case as well as the American one."

The right of Jonathan Richmond to censor everything he doesn't like
is another and, by the way, Moron law is much stricter on this
than American law.

Nancy M Gould, his second-in-command:

"If enough people from ANY ETHNIC GROUP feel offended, the jokes
should not be posted."

The Chris Long ethnic group sez, Nance stop posting!

"How unfortunate.  It doesn't say very much for the values of
other people."

I never did like other people, now I know why.

"In 1933 a significant amount of German's found such humor to be funny
also.  Who cares about what the majority of net readers think!
Whatever happened to the rights of minorities!"

In 1988 a significant amount of news readers found knot jokes to
be funny also.  Who cares what the majority of news readers
think!  Whatever happened to the rights of little bits of string!

"Because Jonathon's viewpoint represents a commonly accepted moral
principle--one that is accepted by virtually every religion
(Christianity as well as Judaism), secular humanists, and
even some atheists and agnostics."

Gee, even some atheists!  I thought we were all Satanists.

"If enough people from ANY CATEGORY have reason to feellthat they are
being discriminated against (and history shows that their fears are not
totally unfounded), consideration and respect should be given to their
feelings."

The Chris Long minority sez, Nance stop posting!

David Makowsky, toadie bigot:

"The fact of the matter is that the presence of a moderator IMPLIES
censorship.  Isn't that what he is there for in the first place?"

And I thought he was there to screen joke quality; guess ya learn
something new every day.

"If you do not like censorship, complain about the whole idea of
having a moderator.  In the meantime, as long as there is a
moderator, "jokes" that are offensive in the slightest bit should
not be given the light of day by the moderator."

I find you to be a joke, and offensive.  Go away.

Betsy R. Schwartz --aka-- Kinyan Cattery, a random bigot:

"Do not be deceived by the numbers.  Some of us who are deeply
offended have kept silent, because we have been taught that as a
minority our voice will not be heard unless the majority wants it to
be heard.  The rights of the minority, apparently do not count."

The right of free speech, apparently does not count.

"The white, christian, male support that Brad gets makes
him feel justified.  The if you don't like it, leave it attitude
(Don't subscribe if you are offended)  does not address the issue."

The censoristic, moron, gibber support that Betsy gets makes
her feel justified.  Go away, bigot.
--

Chris Long
Mathematics Department

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) (11/23/88)

In article <Nov.22.16.54.04.1988.3254@topaz.rutgers.edu> clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long) writes:
>Gee, even some atheists!  I thought we were all Satanists.

No, you guys are just heathens. Now us Christian rockers,
we are supposed to be Satanists...

>"The white, christian, male support that Brad gets makes
>him feel justified.  The if you don't like it, leave it attitude
>(Don't subscribe if you are offended)  does not address the issue."

I stayed out of it at first, just so this kind of argument
would not get used (it WAS soc.culture.jewish), but now that they
know our secret, we are OUT of the closet. Actually, while most
of the support I read for Brad was male (based on my gender-guess at
account names*), a substantial amount was ... Jewish (AIEEEE!!!!),
and predominantly NON-Christian. So Nancy slipped up there. There
were a NUMBER of avowed aetheists/agnostics/etc (watch those etc -
they REALLY proselytize...) supporting Brad. Perhaps Nancy meant
to say,oh... "caucasian, non-Jewish, male", since I am sure she
would never assume goy == Christian.

And of course, while we may asSUME the posters are caucasian,
there is no evidence of that over the net, except for what our
preconceptions tell us, are there (except when we KNOW the
poster, of course)?

Chris - an excellent response on your part.

MileS

*Even there, more than guesswork, I went by claims as to genderness
made by many of them in soc.men & soc.women. I had to assume they were
telling the truth...

nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Nancy M Gould) (11/23/88)

In article <Nov.22.16.54.04.1988.3254@topaz.rutgers.edu> clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long) writes:

>A play involving various evil-doers making stupid comments.  I could
                                            ^^^^^^
>have let them stand on their own (the gibber content is that high),
>but I couldn't resist a few cheap jabs.

Which is exactly what they are--cheap jabs.

>Cast of characters:
>

>The good:  Brad Tempelton, persecuted moderator of rec.humor.funny .
>

>The misguided:
>
>Jonathan E. D. Richmond, leader of the misguided:
>Nancy M Gould, his second-in-command:
>David Makowsky, toadie bigot:
>Betsy R. Schwartz --aka-- Kinyan Cattery, a random bigot:

Chris Long has just made a personal attack Jonathon Richmond, David Makowsky,
Betsy Schwartz, and myself without seriously addressing what
we had to say.

If people on the net wish to attack the contents of one's postings,
by all means, go ahead, but please refrain from making personal
attacks on one's character (and labeling people who disagree with
your point of view as "misguided" and "stupid".

Please, people, let's act grown up!!!

--
"When the writer becomes the center of his attention, he becomes a nudnik.
And a nudnik who believes he's profound is even worse than just a plain

clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long) (11/23/88)

Let me make one thing clear: I respect the opinions of Nancy Gould and
company.  I completely disagree with these opinions, as my last posting
shows.  If my posting has offended the parties involved, then I have
done what your postings have done to me.  If I have not seriously
addressed the issues involved, it is because there is nothing to
seriously address, i.e. I have addressed the issues in the only
manner they deserved to be addressed, to be made fun of.  How any
rational human being could seriously consider for even a moment that
rec.humor.funny should be censored (yes CENSORED) is completely
beyond me.

The censoring of any point of view, no matter how offensive you
find it, is *never* called for.  To do so would justify the
burning of Jewish literature during WWII (because the Nazi's found
it offensive), to do so would justify the censoring of certain
forms of literature in South Africa (because the white supremists
find it offensive).

I did not call any of the parties involved stupid (I called comments
stupid), Nancy et. al. are obviously both intelligent and sane
(though, I will admit, I have to keep telling myself this over and
over again when I read what they wrote).  As to calling David Makowsky
and Betsy Schwarz bigots, well they ARE bigots.  White, male,
christian support, indeed!  *smack*
--

Chris Long
Mathematics Department

gsmith@BOSCO.BERKELEY.EDU (11/23/88)

In article <1092@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu>
nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Nancy M Gould) writes:
>In article <Nov.22.16.54.04.1988.3254@topaz.rutgers.edu>
clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long) writes:

>>A play involving various evil-doers making stupid comments.  I could
>>have let them stand on their own (the gibber content is that high),
>>but I couldn't resist a few cheap jabs.

>Which is exactly what they are--cheap jabs.

  Cheap jabs? Do you remember who made the following cheap jab?

  "The fact that you have ignored my previous postings just goes
to show your own anti-semitism."

>Chris Long has just made a personal attack Jonathon Richmond,
>David Makowsky, Betsy Schwartz, and myself without seriously
>addressing what we had to say.

>If people on the net wish to attack the contents of one's
>postings, by all means, go ahead, but please refrain from making
>personal attacks on one's character (and labeling people who
>disagree with your point of view as "misguided" and "stupid".

  Let's see that again:

  "The fact that you have ignored my previous postings just goes
to show your own anti-semitism."

  In other words, the fact that I may not have considered your
postings extraordinary for their wisdom as well as their wit and
seen fit to suitably acknowledge both with exclamations of awe
and gratitude is taken by you to be a slight not to your ego but
to your religion and/or ethnic group. You state I have either a
slavering eagerness to burn down synagogues and desecrate Torah
scrolls or at least the germs of such a feeling because I have
not until now found your musings especially worthy of note.

  That was then. Now you are saying that character assassination
is really not nice, and personal attacks perhaps not altogether
polite. But you see, you really need to make up your mind on that
score. Is it fine and dandy to discern anti-semitic tendencies on
the basis of "evidence" which does not even make coherent sense,
but less fine to label opposing points of view "misguided"
or"stupid"?

  Of the four people on your list, only Mr. Richmond has (to my
knowledge) refrained from name-calling. He has found other ways
of annoying people, perhaps. In any case, the promoters of net
politeness are seen in some cases (yours, alas, being one of
them) to have a disturbing tendency to want to enforce a standard
on other people they are not willing to meet themselves. And this
whole question of ethnic jokes is at root a politness issue.

  This was the essence of my original complaint against Makowsky,
which led to so much hollering. I still think it is valid, and
think that person engaged in slinging stones should check first
the composition of their walls.
--
ucbvax!garnet!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
ucbvax!bosco!gsmith                  Institute of Pi Research

mccarrol@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark C. Carroll <MC>) (11/24/88)

] == Chris Long
} == Nancy Gould

]A play involving various evil-doers making stupid comments.  I could
]                                           ^^^^^^
]have let them stand on their own (the gibber content is that high),
]but I couldn't resist a few cheap jabs.

}Which is exactly what they are--cheap jabs.

]
]Cast of characters:
]
]
]The good:  Brad Tempelton, persecuted moderator of rec.humor.funny .
]
]
]The misguided:
]
]Jonathan E. D. Richmond, leader of the misguided:
]Nancy M Gould, his second-in-command:
]David Makowsky, toadie bigot:
]Betsy R. Schwartz --aka-- Kinyan Cattery, a random bigot:

}Chris Long has just made a personal attack Jonathon Richmond, David Makowsky,
}Betsy Schwartz, and myself without seriously addressing what
}we had to say.
}

Nancy, I hate to say this, because I've really liked a lot of what
you've had to say on other subjects, but: I think Chris is justified
in that posting. The point of is how stupid this whole thing is.  Brad
posted a JOKE (Get that? Joke?) to an open public forum. A bunch of
oversensitive jerks have decided to be offended, and carry this thing
to absolutely insane proportions. Have you people heard of freedom of
speach? You have NO right to decide what CAN and CANNOT be posted to
ANY group on usenet. I find it particularly disgusting seeing jews
in favor of censorship. I don't care if it was a potentially offensive
joke. You have NO right to try to silence it! Who the hell do you
think you are?

}If people on the net wish to attack the contents of one's postings,
}by all means, go ahead, but please refrain from making personal
}attacks on one's character (and labeling people who disagree with
}your point of view as "misguided" and "stupid".
}

When you act stupid, sometimes it's appropriate to point it out
to you.

}Please, people, let's act grown up!!!

Yes, let's. Let us open our minds, and try to not be so sensitive.
Let us try to understand that we can't try to destroy anyone who dares
to post something we don't like. If I tried to have everyone who
posted something that I considered disgustingly offensive removed,
that's what I'd spend my life doing. But people have the right to say
what they want, and we don't have the right to silence them. Maybe
you should grow up a bit and try to understand that. Remember, to
some people, everything we believe in as jews is horribly offensive,
and should be banned...

		-Mark
--
\  Mark Craig Carroll                \  /"On and on, the rain will fall       /
 |   perhaps better known as: <MC>    \/  like tears from a star             |

hwt@bnr-public.uucp (Henry Troup) (11/24/88)

In article <1092@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Nancy M Gould) writes:
>"When the writer becomes the center of his attention, he becomes a nudnik.
>And a nudnik who believes he's profound is even worse than just a plain
>nudnik."                         --Isaac Bashevis Singer  (1904-   )
>Nancy M. Gould

Please read your own quote.  This whole discussion is a pure waste.
Henry Troup		utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not
Bell-Northern Reseach   hwt@bnr (BITNET/NETNORTH) 	     | responsible for
Ottawa, Canada		(613) 765-2337 (Voice)		     | my opinions

nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Nancy M Gould) (11/24/88)

In article <Nov.23.11.54.06.1988.29466@topaz.rutgers.edu> mccarrol@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark C. Carroll <MC>) writes:
>}
>
>Nancy, I hate to say this, because I've really liked a lot of what
>you've had to say on other subjects, but: I think Chris is justified
>in that posting.
> Have you people heard of freedom of
>speach?

If you had read my postings more carefully to begin with, you
would know that I was not calling for censorship so much as
for an honest acknowledgement of the consequences of telling
ethnic jokes.  Sean Engleson wrote a long, eloquent article
on the subject, which expressed my exact views.  Didn't you
read it.

> You have NO right to decide what CAN and CANNOT be posted to
>ANY group on usenet.

Of course, I have no legal right to decide what can and cannot be
posted. But I do have the right to my personal opinion of what
SHOULD  and SHOULD NOT be posted.  Please respect it.

> I find it particularly disgusting seeing jews
>in favor of censorship.

Why just Jews?

 >You have NO right to try to silence it! Who the hell do you
>think you are?

Again, I do have the right to express my opinion on the subject.
You have NO right to try to silence that.

>}
>
>When you act stupid, sometimes it's appropriate to point it out
>to you.

Fine.  But if you wish to give me constructive criticism about
my personal characteristics, all standards of politeness and
netiquette indicate that the appropriate place to do this would
be by e-mail

>}Please, people, let's act grown up!!!
>
>Yes, let's. Let us open our minds, and try to not be so sensitive.
>Let us try to understand that we can't try to destroy anyone who dares
>to post something we don't like.

Excuse me, but have I tried to destroy any one?  All I've done
is post my honest opinions publicly to the net!

You want freedom of speech?  Fine!  But, remember, it works
both ways.

--

Infinite@cup.portal.com (Merril S Weiner) (11/24/88)

Nancy M Gould writes :

>People, people, let's act grown up!!!

I always thought that one of the purposes of the rec.humor
areas was to act childish and crack silly jokes!  Oh well.

Nancy, I think you failed to realize the humor that was
intended in Chris Long's reply to all the humor bashing that
has been going around.

But the point has been well made.  Maybe rec.humor should
be further divided.  How about breaking rec.humor.funny down
into "rec.humor.funny" and "rec.humor.offensive" sound to
you all?

-Merril Weiner

Note : The above opinions may or may not belong to this persona
       so labeled as Merril Weiner.

peggy@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peggy Shambo) (11/25/88)

Okay, okay, okay.

I have been wading thru megabytes of argument re:  ethnic/racial
discrimination and/or slurs.  Seems that only the Jewish and Black
(with strong emphasis on the former) voices are crying out the
loudest.

I don't hear anyone crying out about the Italian jokes.

I don't hear anyone crying about the Russian jokes.

I certainly didn't cry out about either the Catholic or Irish jokes.
I found them humorous.  They did not denigrate my ethnicity nor cultural
or religious background.

Why is it considered "okay" to tell certain <ethnic> jokes, but not
others?

Peg Shambo                | The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts
peggy@ddsw1.mcs.com       | working the moment you get up in the morning

nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Nancy M Gould) (11/27/88)

In article <2229@ddsw1.MCS.COM> peggy@ddsw1.MCS.COM(Peggy Shambo) writes:

>Okay, okay, okay.
>
>I have been wading thru megabytes of argument re:  ethnic/racial
>discrimination and/or slurs.  Seems that only the Jewish and Black
>(with strong emphasis on the former) voices are crying out the
>loudest.

Probably because the Jews and the Blacks have been discriminated
against more than any other ethnic groups in this country.

>I don't hear anyone crying out about the Italian jokes.

Including Italians.

>I don't hear anyone crying about the Russian jokes.

Including Russians.

>Why is it considered "okay" to tell certain <ethnic> jokes, but not
>others?

Did any one here say it WAS okay?

The point is that if certain ethnic groups do not find such
jokes offensive, it ceases to be an issue.  But other ethnic
groups, having suffered a significant amount of discrimination
DO find such jokes offensive, and their wishes should be
respected.

--

byte@gryphon.COM (Byte Felinus) (11/27/88)

In article <1099@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Nancy M Gould) writes:

>The point is that if certain ethnic groups do not find such
>jokes offensive, it ceases to be an issue.  But other ethnic
>groups, having suffered a significant amount of discrimination
>DO find such jokes offensive, and their wishes should be
>respected.

1. Why?

2. How does one determine what jokes "other ethnic groups" find
   offensive?  Who is the authoratative spokesperson for an ethnic
   group?

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (11/27/88)

In article <1099@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Nancy M Gould) writes:

>Probably because the Jews and the Blacks have been discriminated
>against more than any other ethnic groups in this country.

Nah. Native Americans.

--
             Never confuse fruit flies with french frys.
richard@gryphon.COM    gryphon!richard    gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

jet@chinet.chi.il.us (John E. Thomason) (11/28/88)

In article <1099@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Nancy M Gould) writes:
>In article <2229@ddsw1.MCS.COM> peggy@ddsw1.MCS.COM(Peggy Shambo) writes:
>>
>>Okay, okay, okay.
>>
>>I have been wading thru megabytes of argument re:  ethnic/racial

...rest of the gratuitous junk omitted.
Ladies, take a look at the newsgroups line.  Was it really necessary to
post to all these?  Please do alt.flame a favor, at least, and either
FLAME OR EDIT IT OUT OF THE NEWSGROUPS LINE!   TWITS!

Cheers,
Wasser

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (11/28/88)

In article <2065@uokmax.UUCP> russ@uokmax.UUCP (Random J Nightfall) writes:
=He understands fine.  So do the rest of us.  Kindly stop explaining.  The
=point is, noone made you read it.  The ONLY POSSIBLE problem here (except
=what might be in your head) is the failure to ROT13 the given post.  Brad
=apoligized.  I'm satisfied  (actually, I was never perturbed).  I don't
=think you're going to have his intestines for dinner, though.

I don't want anyone's intestines for dinner, luch, breakfast or a snack!
I just find it hard to justify the attitude that says that if something
offends me, I shoud ignore it.  But you're right in at least one thing:
what I write here is not going to change that attitude

=->Are you student or faculty, Chris?  Just curious.
=->
=Don't tell me you're about to propagate a ... stereotype!

Do *you* have a stereotype in mind for faculty and/or students?  Where
do you see any "propagation"?

OK, OK.  I call "uncle".  I'm happy to say that given the general
conditions of 1988 USA, I'm not terribly worried about a physical threat
to any of the persecuted minorities whose negative stereotypes have been
perpetuated  on usenet -- thank God!!

Pete

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Nancy M Gould) (11/28/88)

In article <8980@gryphon.COM> byte@gryphon.COM (Byte Felinus) writes:
>In article <1099@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Nancy M Gould) writes:
>>
>>The point is that if certain ethnic groups do not find such
>>jokes offensive, it ceases to be an issue.  But other ethnic
>>groups, having suffered a significant amount of discrimination
>>DO find such jokes offensive, and their wishes should be
>>respected.
>>

>1. Why?

It's called politeness and consideration for the feelings of
others.

>2. How does one determine what jokes "other ethnic groups" find
>   offensive?  Who is the authoratative spokesperson for an ethnic
>   group?

No one person can be the authority.  I think it just depends on how
many people complain.  If the number is significant, maybe the joke
really is offensive.

--

RWC102@PSUVM (R. W. F. Clark) (11/29/88)

Newsgroups: alt.flame,news.misc,soc.culture.jewish,rec.humor.d
Subject: Legislating courtesy
Date: Monday, 28 Nov 1988 14:29:28 EST
From: R. W. F. Clark <RWC102@PSUVM>

Nancy Gould writes:

[Referring to how wonderfully liberal and enlightened thing called censorship]

>It's called politeness and consideration for the feelings of
>others.

Neither politeness nor consideration for the feelings of others
can, or should, be legislated.  One might think that referring
to Brad Templeton as being the next worst thing to a Nazi is
hardly polite or considerate.

>No one person can be the authority.  I think it just depends on how
>many people complain.  If the number is significant, maybe the joke
>really is offensive.

There is no law against being offensive.  If there were,
perhaps Makowsky, Richmond, and their ilk would have been
imprisoned quite some time ago.

fc

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) (11/29/88)

In article <1094@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Nancy M Gould) writes:
>The above quote that you are referring to was not by me (I believe it
>was by Betsy Schwartz).
>If you are going to be so opinionated on an issue, please, please,
>PLEASE read the postings more carefully.  And make sure that when
>you respond to an article, you respond to the right person  next
>time.

Nancy-

This is a public apology. I can only plead that long hours
sometimes make me act brain-dead. I really do try to
pay attention to such details. But I am sorry for attributing
the quotes wrongly. I also apologize to the original
poster (Betsy???).

Anyway, I didn't feel it was that opinionated; I felt
the original poster was, and was pointing out why I
felt that way.

-miles

rasar@wright.EDU (Ravin Asar) (11/29/88)

In article <2229@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, peggy@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peggy Shambo) writes:

> I don't hear anyone crying out about the Italian jokes.
>
> I don't hear anyone crying about the Russian jokes.
>
> Why is it considered "okay" to tell certain <ethnic> jokes, but not
> others?

Well, I don't know about the Italians, but you don't find anyone
objecting to Russian jokes because :

   a) They're true
   b) Humor is a capital crime in Russia, hence "jokes" are not
         defined in their system
   c) Crying is a heinous crime in Russia (second only to humor)
   d) There aren't too many Russians on the net

Take your pick.

 - Ravin Asar
As a rule, man's a fool, when it's hot he wants it cool
When it's cool he wants it hot, always wanting what is not.
                                                     -My Dad

rob@violet.berkeley.edu (Rob Robertson) (11/29/88)

In article <1099@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Nancy M Gould) writes:
>>I have been wading thru megabytes of argument re:  ethnic/racial
>>discrimination and/or slurs.  Seems that only the Jewish and Black
>>(with strong emphasis on the former) voices are crying out the
>>loudest.

>Probably because the Jews and the Blacks have been discriminated
>against more than any other ethnic groups in this country.

Huh?  The people who are discriminated the most, are those that look
"different".  I'd put Blacks, Orientals, Indians, Native Americans and
Hispanics way up there.

Also remember that in 1942, a hundred thousand Japanese were interned
for the duration of WWWII, all because they were of Japanese heritage.
No such thing happened to German Americans or Italian Americans.

	     bigots may be stupid, but they aren't blind.

rob
				william robertson
				rob@violet.berkeley.edu

nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Nancy M Gould) (11/29/88)

In article <17505@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, rob@violet.berkeley.edu (Rob Robertson) writes:
> In article <1099@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Nancy M Gould) writes:
> >>I have been wading thru megabytes of argument re:  ethnic/racial
> >>discrimination and/or slurs.  Seems that only the Jewish and Black
> >>(with strong emphasis on the former) voices are crying out the
> >>loudest.
>
> >Probably because the Jews and the Blacks have been discriminated
> >against more than any other ethnic groups in this country.
>
> Huh?  The people who are discriminated the most, are those that look
> "different".  I'd put Blacks, Orientals, Indians, Native Americans and
> Hispanics way up there.
>
> Also remember that in 1942, a hundred thousand Japanese were interned
> for the duration of WWWII, all because they were of Japanese heritage.
> No such thing happened to German Americans or Italian Americans.

Let me clarify my position.  I'm sorry I left out American Indians,
Hispanics, Japanese, etc.  The reason I only mentioned Jews and
Blacks was because those were the two ethnic groups that the
original poster referred too.  Certainly, there have been other
ethnic groups that were discriminated against every bit as bad as
the Jews and Blacks.  But the ones she mentioned (Italians and Russians)
don't fit that category.

I thought it was interesting that the poster mentioned Russians
because most Russian Americans are in fact Russian JEWISH
Americans.  Many Russian Jewish Americans, when asked their nationality,
will reply "Russian" because they are afraid of anti-Semitism.
I know that in my childhood, nobody ever called me a "dirty Russian".
I have, however, been called a "dirty Jew".

I think we can pretty safely say that ethnic groups of Asian
and African origin are more discriminated against than those
of Western European origin.

--

In article <1861@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:

I originally wrote:

>>If you are going to be so opinionated on an issue, please, please,
>>PLEASE read the postings more carefully.  And make sure that when
>>you respond to an article, you respond to the right person  next
>>time.
>
>Nancy-
>
>This is a public apology.

And this a public acceptance.  Thank you.  :-)

>Anyway, I didn't feel it was that opinionated; I felt
>the original poster was, and was pointing out why I
>felt that way.

Sorry.  I guess I owe you an apology as well.

--

veve@tank.uchicago.edu (jack lewis vevea) (11/29/88)

In article <1106@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Nancy M Gould) writes:
>In article <1861@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:

      (text deleted)

>>Nancy-
>>
>>This is a public apology.
>

>And this a public acceptance.  Thank you.  :-)

      (more text deleted)

>Sorry.  I guess I owe you an apology as well.

	Isn't this sweet?
	Votes for a new newsgroup, rec.apologies, anyone?

Saepe fidelis.

In article <390@thor.wright.EDU> rasar@wright.EDU (Ravin Asar) writes:
>Well, I don't know about the Italians, but you don't find anyone
>objecting to Russian jokes because :
>
>   a) They're true
>   b) Humor is a capital crime in Russia, hence "jokes" are not
>         defined in their system
>   c) Crying is a heinous crime in Russia (second only to humor)
>   d) There aren't too many Russians on the net

I have another reason.  Most Russian Americans are in fact Jews.
They probably don't have time to object to Russian jokes because
they are too busy fighting the Jewish ones.  :-)

--

mayville@tybalt.caltech.edu (Kevin J. Mayville) (11/29/88)

>>>But other ethnic
>>>groups, having suffered a significant amount of discrimination
>>>DO find such jokes offensive, and their wishes should be
>>>respected.
>
>>1. Why?
>
>It's called politeness and consideration for the feelings of
>others.

Nancy, that does not answer the question by any stretch of the
imagination.  One of the basic tenets of comedy is that it respects
*nothing*.  Nothing is sacred.  You can hop up and down, stamp your
feet, and yell 'Discrimination!' for as long as you want, and this
will never change.  Or if it does, that will spell the end of comedy.

>>2. How does one determine what jokes "other ethnic groups" find
>>   offensive?  Who is the authoratative spokesperson for an ethnic
>>   group?
>
>No one person can be the authority.  I think it just depends on how
>many people complain.  If the number is significant, maybe the joke
>really is offensive.

But nobody (well, nobody rational) really cares if some people think
a particular joke is offensive.  Millions if not billions of people
think, say, Richard Pryor's comedy routines are offensive.  Yet that
hasn't stopped him from releasing new albums, or me from enjoying
them.  And I don't recall any great setbacks to the civil rights
movement caused by the ethnic flavor of some of his jokes.

Kevin
mayville@tybalt.caltech.edu

"She's beautiful, popular, and obviously going through some
emotional shoot-out to consent to date....the human tater-tot.
What did you do, Keith, threaten her life?"

david@mirror.TMC.COM (David Chesler) (11/30/88)

(I think Nancy said the following:)
>->Or maybe you just don't understand.  Don't feel badly; lots of people
>->don't understand how perpetuating the negative stereotypes of persecuted
>->minorities can lead to further persecution.  You may just have to live
>->through it.
>He understands fine.  So do the rest of us.  Kindly stop explaining.  The
>point is, noone made you read it.  The ONLY POSSIBLE problem here (except
>what might be in your head) is the failure to ROT13 the given post.

  Obviously the author of the above paragraph (russ) does not understand.
If someone were to post "All the Jews ought to be killed" I would not
be offended, because I would just figure the author is a jerk.  Nevertheless
I would object to the posting because someone else, a third party, might
read the post and be more willing to act on it.
  I don't think one such post would be enough to convince anyone on the
entire Usenet to commit murder, but enough of them can lead to an environment
where physical acts against myself and my people become more commonplace.
As this has happened before in recent and older history, it is something
that I do watch out for.
  Whether or not I read the comment, whether or not I subscribe to the
group containing it, those third parties read it.  It is for this reason
that many object to posting.

(Disclaimer: I didn't find the particular joke to fit into that category,
but many people whose opinions I respect did; their reasoning is perfectly
valid, it is only their specific-case judgement with which I disagree.)

              -- David Chesler (david@prism.tmc.com, mirror!david)

RWC102@PSUVM (R. W. F. Clark) (11/30/88)

In article <20312@mirror.TMC.COM>, david@mirror.TMC.COM (David Chesler) says:

>If someone were to post "All the Jews ought to be killed" I would not
>be offended, because I would just figure the author is a jerk.  Nevertheless
>I would object to the posting because someone else, a third party, might
>read the post and be more willing to act on it.

I can understand objecting to the posting.

However, many parties in this discussion have either
supported forcing a person's employer to remove him
or actually attempted to do so.  Mr. Richmond made
quite an idiot of himself in these endeavors.

It is not that censorship on the net is such a
terrible thing, but these parties have made ar-
guments which are not only directed to this sort
of thing on the net, but are very easily extendable
to the real world.  If anything which offends anyone
'should not be published,' then any idiot pressure-
group is free to restrict publishing of any sort,
leaving us with a literary heritage as useful and
interesting as a TV documentary.

>  I don't think one such post would be enough to convince anyone on the
>entire Usenet to commit murder, but enough of them can lead to an environment
>where physical acts against myself and my people become more commonplace.
>As this has happened before in recent and older history, it is something
>that I do watch out for.

Watching this is a good thing.  The continued distribution
of Moral Majoritarian garbage is a leading cause of bigotry
in this nation.  The use of advertisement as a brainwashing
tool for political moguls is a leading cause of the breakdown
of our political process.  However, trying to stop this by
limiting advertisement or publishing is not to be allowed.

>  Whether or not I read the comment, whether or not I subscribe to the
>group containing it, those third parties read it.  It is for this reason
>that many object to posting.

When they _object_ to the posting, I am not bothered.  When they
attempt to harass the person making the posting, I am impressed
by their own lack of courtesy and respect for others.

>(Disclaimer: I didn't find the particular joke to fit into that category,
>but many people whose opinions I respect did; their reasoning is perfectly
>valid, it is only their specific-case judgement with which I disagree.)

Their reasoning is as valid as the reasoning of any
censors or proponents of censorship.  That is to say,
dead wrong.

fc