[rec.humor.d] KW Record Article on Joke Debate

abie@jtsv16.UUCP (abie) (12/06/88)

Are jews an ethnic group or a religious group.

Was the Scott in the joke that causing all this controversy a JEW. Or was
the Jew a SCOTT.

There are Italian jews and Scottish jews and Black jews. There are
even  Canadian jews.  I know Canadian(of other religious persuasion.
Notice I said religious not ethnic), find it very hard to accept this fact.

Are catholics an ethnic group?
Are protestants an ethnic group?

Would you say that catholic Canadian is

	a.  a canadian
	b. an ethnic

Then why do you classify jews as an ethnic group.

Does Luisa D'Amato and the editors of The Kitchener-Waterloo Record
know the difference between an ethnic groups, and a religious groups.

The opinion expressed here are my own
--
Abie Groberg		    UUCP: ...!{geac|utzoo|utgpu}!syntron!jtsv16!abie
JTS Computer Systems Ltd.     or: jtsv16!abie@uunet.uu.net

dan@ivucsb.UUCP (Dan Howell) (12/08/88)

In article <2421@looking.UUCP> funny@looking.UUCP (Funny Guy) writes:
|The following article appears today on the *Front Page* of the Kitchener-
|Waterloo Record, the major daily in the town in which I live.
|===========
[...]
|One recent joke depicts a black man, who is dating a gorilla and isn't
|allowed to buy it a drink in a bar.  He dresses, shaves and puts
|makeup on the animal, which is then let into the bar and
|is mistaken for an Italian woman.
|
|Another joke describes a Jew who is murdered after he tricks a Scotsman
|into buying him dinner.
[...]

Gosh, some people just don't know how to tell a joke. :-)

Why would anyone mistake a shaven gorilla for an Italian woman? :-)

-- Dan Howell  <...!pyramid!comdesign!ivucsb!dan>  <dan@ivucsb.UUCP>
-- The Heineken Uncertainty Principle:
--	You can never be sure how many beers you had last night.

crscott@sdrc.UUCP (Scott_Klosterman) (12/15/88)

In article <443@ivucsb.UUCP>, dan@ivucsb.UUCP (Dan Howell) writes:
> Gosh, some people just don't know how to tell a joke. :-)
> Why would anyone mistake a shaven gorilla for an Italian woman? :-)

    Or a shaven Italian woman for a gorilla? :-))

rdaulton@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM (Richard.H.Dick.Daulton) (12/15/88)

>OLD article asked:
> how could you confuse an Italian woman with a gorilla ?

1. maybe if you were a jew or a scot that had nothing better
	to do than go out to dinner with a scot or a jew ??

2. if you were Jonathan Richmond !  AHA ... you say but can
	it be proven ?  in pure logic, YES !!!
	(i'm kinda rusty at this so hold on...)
	PREMISE: Jonathan didn't object to the "joke"
	PREMISE: the funny part was obvious to Jonathan
	CONCLUSION: Italian women can be mistaken for shaven
		gorillas.

3. Jonathan either dates an Italian or a Gorilla.

4. Both Gorillas and Italians have turned down Jonathan's
	advances, so he doesn't mind seeing them picked on.

--
dick.daulton@dayton.ncr.com * THE FUTURE'S NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE
             but, then again, THE PAST'S NOT WHAT IT'S GOING TO BE