[rec.humor.d] Where's JJ when you really need him?????

greggy@infmx.UUCP (greg yachuk) (12/13/88)

In article <2413@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM(Karl Denninger) writes:
>In article <1991@stiatl.UUCP> john@stiatl.UUCP (John DeArmond) writes:
>>What I think needs to be done is for us in the Usenet community to form
>>a legal defense fund so that Brad can file a libel suit ...
>
>Here's a pledge of a $5.00 donation... where do I send the check.

I think you send it to JJ care of Portal... :-)

Greg Yachuk	Informix Software Inc., Menlo Park, CA	(415) 322-4100
{uunet,pyramid}!infmx!greggy	why yes, I DID choose that login myself

jj) (12/14/88)

>I think you send it to JJ care of Portal... :-)

Greg, please don't start this "jj" grap up again.  There has been
a "jj" on the net for (well, I don't know, since everyone got feeds
from "duke" or something like that... a long time, netwise).  This
jj was at USENIX last spring (as a guest, his spouse was the
conference attendee) and at least four (yes 4, IV) people actually
made physically expressed threats when they found out I was "JJ",
all of them thinking that "jj" was "jj@cup.portal.com".  Finding
out that it was "alice!jj" seemed to relieve this threat.

I'm not pleased by this reception. <Well, one fellow that I met
at Coit Tower was considering, so he said, pushing me off the retaining
wall, until he figured out that I was the wrong "jj".>

Please, folks, let the "jj@cup.portal.com" issue die a nice, kind,
polite death.  (Unless the critter who did it shows up with another
attemt, naturally.)
--
jj@alice.att.com, who has no affiliation whatsoever with (the former) jj@cup.portal.com
Curmudgeon (n) curmudgeons (pl) - a former optimist who has seen reality, in a certain isle tongue, cur mudgeon, one who kicks dogs.

nyssa@terminus.UUCP (The Prime Minister) (12/17/88)

In article <8531@alice.UUCP> jj@alice.UUCP (alice!jj) writes:
>                                                              This
>jj was at USENIX last spring (as a guest, his spouse was the
>conference attendee) and at least four (yes 4, IV) people actually
>made physically expressed threats when they found out I was "JJ",
>all of them thinking that "jj" was "jj@cup.portal.com".  Finding
>out that it was "alice!jj" seemed to relieve this threat.

If this is the reaction JJ got, can you imagine how JEDR will be
received at any future event?

I suspect that he may not be able to work in a computer related field...

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (12/19/88)

In article <14032@terminus.UUCP> nyssa@terminus.UUCP (The Prime Minister) writes:
>If this is the reaction JJ got, can you imagine how JEDR will be
>received at any future event?

May not have to wait that long. Apparantly, JEDR has been ``jumped''
several times as a result of this incident.

>I suspect that he may not be able to work in a computer related field...

Oh come on. USENET is not the whole world. There are about 300,000 people
on 11,000 machines comprising the NET.

There are 22 million microcomputers out there, and a great number of them
are 8 bit Commodore machines and MS-DOS computers.

Can you think of a better revenge ?

--

               ``Wake me up when it's time to go to sleep''
richard@gryphon.COM {b'bone}!gryphon!richard  gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

denny@mcmi.UUCP (Dennis Page) (12/21/88)

In article <8531@alice.UUCP> jj@alice.UUCP (alice!jj) writes:
>conference attendee) and at least four (yes 4, IV) people actually
>made physically expressed threats when they found out I was "JJ",

I don't know, I wore a sticker at a party last Usenix which said
"HELLO, My name is JJ."  Only five or six people even made the
connection who JJ was supposed to be (although almost everybody
remembered the Ass@Portal).

"Hangin's too good for him"  :-)

Denny
--
Good health is merely the slowest rate at which one can die.

tjw@cisunx.UUCP (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (12/22/88)

>In article <8531@alice.UUCP> jj@alice.UUCP (alice!jj) writes:
>>conference attendee) and at least four (yes 4, IV) people actually
>>made physically expressed threats when they found out I was "JJ",

Sorry to hear that people think that "jj@alice" == "JJ@portal".

I think that we've missed the boat to "get even" with "JJ" (note the
caps).

You see "JJ" is this poor kid who's dying and wants to get into the book
of records by having the most mail ever delevered to his P.O. Box

So here's his address: :-)

Terry

--
(UUCP)     {decwrl!allegra,bellcore,cadre,psuvax1}!pitt!cisunx!cisvms!tjw
(BITNET)   TJW@PITTVMS