[rec.humor.d] Looking for Computer Folklore

isusevm@pyr.gatech.EDU (Vernard C. Martin) (01/26/89)

First there were the Egyptians, then the Chinese, then the Greeks and those
pushy Romans. Now, it's time for the mythology of the COMPUTER! I am looking
for stories. Heard any tales second- or third-hand that sound possibly true but
that "happened to a friend of a friend" in different places at different times?
Good God, man or woman, that's a computer myth!

I'm also interested in stories that might have started in actual fact but that
have become so popular that they keep popping up. For instance, did you hear
about the zero-sum check? Someone gets a computerized bill from a credit card
company saying they owe the company zero dollars and zero cents. They ignore
it but keep getting bills and increasingly nasty computerized notes, so they
finally write out a check for zero dollars and zero cents and send it in, and
the computer never bothers them again.

Or, there's the story about the guy who falls asleep in front of his
terminal with an ELIZA program running and his boss logs on and thinks he's
talking to him but is actually talking to the program, and gets pissed off.

OR, there's the dilemma in which computers keep crashing because an
operator wears a silk slip that gives off static electricity like nobody's
business, OR the bank teller who embezzles millions from his bank by creating
a file to collect the fractions of pennies that the bank rounds off from
accounts.

Some story categories are:
1. machines going physically berserk.
2. women/computers/sex/sexism and/or romance.
3. sabotage.
4. breaking security (no, I don't have classified clearance, goddammit!)
5. great hacks.
6. computer gods (such as Norbert Weiner, a genius in AI who lost his family
   when they moved to a new house and he forgot where it was).
7. tales of massive catastrophe due to seemingly mysterious means
   that turn out to be something strange, like magnetized pollen.

Of course, there are more categories. Got a great tale you want to share?
Reply to isusevm@pyr.gatech.edu. If you'd rather talk, leave your phone
number and I'll try to give you a ring.
Karla Jennings
This account is temporarily being used as a collection point for mail.
isusevm@pyr.gatech.edu

pt@geovision.uucp (Paul Tomblin) (01/29/89)

In article <7143@pyr.gatech.EDU> isusevm@pyr.gatech.edu.UUCP (Vernard C. Martin) writes:
>[asking for computer myths]

I can remember a few that supposedly happened where I used to work before
I started there:

1) A computer kept crashing, and every time service was called, it
worked fine.  It turned out that one of the users would come in, sit
down at the console and put his papers and stuff on the top covering the
cooling vents.  When it crashed, he'd pick up his stuff and leave,
removing the evidence.  Service people didn't figure this one out until
they decided to watch him work to see why it crashed.

2) We had an IBM cluster controller controlling some 3270 terminals.  We
paid $5000 for an upgrade that would allow more users to be connected to
the controller.  The IBM service rep came in and REMOVED a board, that
was put there to deliberately slow things down.

3) (This one happened to me)  A Northern Telecom 3270 terminal caught
fire, with flames coming out of the top.  I guess I was doing some hot
stuff.  I was not putting stuff on top of the terminal cooling slots.

4) Somebody working on an Airline Reservation System, trying to get
maximum response out of the machine, was looking at a OS listing and
found a delay loop that was executed by a timer interrupt every 100th of
a second.  Removing it brought the performance up, but they had to
replace one of the chips in the machine that wasn't fast enough.

I don't know if these classify, but it's the best I could come up with.
--
Paul Tomblin,  Second Officer, Golgafrinchan B Ark      |   o o     Are we
    UUCP:   nrcaer!cognos!geovision!pt ??               |    v      having

jackg@tekirl.TEK.COM (Jack Gjovaag;6160;50-321;LP=A) (02/01/89)

In article <532@geovision.UUCP> geovision!pt writes:

>2) We had an IBM cluster controller controlling some 3270 terminals.  We
>paid $5000 for an upgrade that would allow more users to be connected to
>the controller.  The IBM service rep came in and REMOVED a board, that
>was put there to deliberately slow things down.

In a similar vein, the GE 415 and 425 CPUs were identical except that
the 415 had an extra wire that slowed the clock down a bit.  To upgrade
to the 425, after paying your money, the wire was removed.  Some
users knew about this and one of them made up a realistic looking
letter supposedly from GE saying something to the effect :
"CAUTION. Do not remove the wire from pin 4AB to 7FL in the CPU
enclosure.  This wire is located approximately 7 inches up
from the bottom of the backplane in bay 2 and should not be removed
by using a GE 112-3 wire unwrapping tool, first not removing the
wrapping from 4AB, then pulling the wire from under the other
wiring to its bound end at 7FL, followed by not unwrapping the
bound end from 7FL.  Not removing this wire will result in the
normal clockspeed which is 1.6 times slower than with the wire
removed and will not cause corresponding increases in system
throughput."  Naturally most of these wires got removed.

Another interesting but kludgy fix to a problem came from a user
of an IBM 7044.  The 7044 had a HALT instruction that stopped the
CPU clock.  The user was doing some realtime processing or something
of the sort and didn't like the idea of the CPU ever being able
to stop itself.  He asked IBM how much it would cost to disable
the instruction and they gave him some large quote which contained
the implicit message "We don't want to do it and this price is set
high enough to make you change your mind about the request."
The user didn't want to pay the money so he fixed up a photodiode
over the light on the console that was on when the CPU was running
and hooked it up to a solenoid that would push the RUN button whenever
the light went out.  The cost was a couple of dollars.

  Jack Gjovaag
  Tek Labs

lm03_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Larry Moss) (02/03/89)

I heard one story about a guy that was using an Apple IIe at work a few
years ago. He was ready to give up with computers because every disk he
ever tried to use would lose all of the files on it.

It turned out that he kept little reminder notes attached to the disk
drive - with magnets.

albert@endor.harvard.edu (David Albert) (02/03/89)

>2) We had an IBM cluster controller controlling some 3270 terminals.
>paid $5000 for an upgrade that would allow more users to be connected to
>the controller.

You had a cluster that could control three thousand two hundred and
seventy terminals at once and you wanted an upgrade?!

:-)
David Albert				    | Roses are red,
UUCP: ...{think, rutgers}!harvard!albert    | Violets are blue,
INTERNET: albert@harvard.harvard.edu	    | The sky is bleen,
SNAILNET: 33 Oxford St./Cambridge MA 02138  | And the oceans are grue.

jeff@stormy.atmos.washington.edu (Jeff L. Bowden) (02/03/89)

In article <768@ur-cc.UUCP> lm03_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Larry Moss) writes:
>It turned out that he kept little reminder notes attached to the disk
>drive - with magnets.

Oh Gawd!  Not again!

Make it stop!  Make it stop!  :-)
--
"Everything I need to know I learned from watching Gilligan's Island."

saal@sfsup.UUCP (S.Saal) (02/03/89)

I heard of someone that put a computer in
the microwave to dry it off.  I think
one of them, either the microwave or the
person that did it, exploded.
--
Sam Saal         ..!attunix!saal
Vayiphtach HaShem et Peah HaAtone

aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) (02/04/89)

Back when TRS-80s had just come out, my friend bought one. One day we were in
a Radio Shack, and one of the guys working there gave a diskette to my friend.
My friend folded it up and put it in his pocket....

aem
a.e.mossberg aem@mthvax.miami.edu MIAVAX::AEM (Span) aem@umiami.BITNET (soon)
He that complains, acts like a man, like a social being. - Samuel Johnson

In <4744@sfsup.UUCP>, <saal@/doc/dsg/saalUUCP> wrote:
>I heard of someone that put a computer in
>the microwave to dry it off.  I think
>one of them, either the microwave or the
>person that did it, exploded.

It was a poodle, not a computer.

heh heh

mthome@bbn.com (Mike Thome) (02/04/89)

In article <1357@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> aem@Mthvax.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
>In <4744@sfsup.UUCP>, <saal@/doc/dsg/saalUUCP> wrote:
>>I heard of someone that put a computer in
>>the microwave to dry it off.  I think
>>one of them, either the microwave or the
>>person that did it, exploded.
>It was a poodle, not a computer.
This is a true story - The lady who owned the well-done dog sued Amana
(really! Anyone know (1) for how much $$, and (2) if she won?)

The only other good (& also true) microwave story I know is:
	The Amazing Randi, in his Big Sting of the Psychic Researchers
Operation had two young unknown magicians pose as psychics to be
researched... one of the feats of mentalist powers they were asked to
demonstrate was "to do something" to a pair of digital watches. Well,
they stared and kneeded the watched without effect until lunch, when they
palmed 'em and nuked 'em for a minute on high.  After lunch the
researchers were astounded!

peggy@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peggy Shambo) (02/04/89)

This is a true story (honest!):

A friend was having a problem with a sticky keyboard for his Mac.
He was talking to another friend who off-handedly suggested putting
into the dishwasher to clean it up.  So, my friend did just that!
Needless to say, the keyboard didn't function any too well after
that.  :-)

Peg Shambo           | Sophisticated Lady, I know.          |  Ellington/
peggy@ddsw1.mcs.com  | You miss the Love you had long ago   |  Mills/Parish
		     | And when nobody is nigh, you cry.    |

peggy@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peggy Shambo) (02/04/89)

Yet another true story:

I was at GE Consulting's Training and Education Center in Albany, NY taking
a course on the PC.  Well, there were some inexperienced PC users there,
so we had to go through the "basics" for them (ie, the do's and don't's of
disk handling)

Well, according to the instructor, there had been one student who had driven
up from Bridgeport, CT (corporate offices are there).  He had stayed at a
nearby motel overnight, leaving his briefcase in the trunk of the car.  (Oh,
let me add that it was sub-zero weather at the time of this incident).  In
the morning he arrived at T&E, opened up his briefcase, took out a floppy
disk, inserted into a drive... then *c-r-a-c-k*!!!  It shattered into little
pieces.

Gee.. I hope it wasn't critical information on it, with no backup  :-)

Peg Shambo           | Sophisticated Lady, I know.          |  Ellington/
peggy@ddsw1.mcs.com  | You miss the Love you had long ago   |  Mills/Parish
		     | And when nobody is nigh, you cry.    |

robert@jive.sybase.com (Robert Garvey) (02/05/89)

  Heard a story about a company whose PC software was being blamed for
  the consistent failure to read backup data off floppies.  Unable to
  determine the cause, they finally sent someone to sit beside the
  system's user the entire work day.  Nothing unusual was seen until
  the very end of the business day when the user took the floppy out of
  the drive and started to label it.  A blank label was put on and the
  disk inserted into the carriage of an electric typewriter...

The humor of the anecdote overrides any concerns for veracity.
--
Robert Garvey                                       Sybase, Inc
robert%sybase.com@sun.com                           6475 Christie Ave

Zap@cup.portal.com (Tim Philip Cadell) (02/05/89)

. My friend folded up the diskette and put it in his pockete.

(from mem)

When I used to work at a Radio Shack store, we got a call one day from
a man who was trying to load a program (Blackjack, I believe) off of tape
into a TRS-80 Model I computer and run it.  A friend of mine went to the
phone and told him that after he loaded it, type "R U N" and press enter.
He got a syntax error and after reading it back, it turned out that he
had typed "Are You In?" and pressed enter.

No Lie, I WAS THERE.

Zap Savage
"Go on, pull the other one!"

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (02/06/89)

In article <35619@bbn.COM>, mthome@bbn.com (Mike Thome) writes:
> In article <1357@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> aem@Mthvax.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
> >In <4744@sfsup.UUCP>, <saal@/doc/dsg/saalUUCP> wrote:
> >>I heard of someone that put a computer in
> >>the microwave to dry it off.  I think
> >>one of them, either the microwave or the
> >>person that did it, exploded.
> >It was a poodle, not a computer.
> This is a true story - The lady who owned the well-done dog sued Amana
> (really! Anyone know (1) for how much $$, and (2) if she won?)
>
> The only other good (& also true) microwave story I know is:

Back to computers and microwaves...

When I was a freshman in 1971, all mainframe jobs were submitted on
cards.  And there was a snack room with microwave oven just down the
hall.   Well, we were waiting for our jobs to run and were bored,
so one of my friends had the idea - What does a microwave oven
do to a card deck?  We got a deck of blank cards and cooked them
for a while.  It is a simple physics problem to show that uniformly
heating a sphere leads to MUCH higher temperatures at the center
compared to the edge.  Of course, the card deck *looked* perfectly
normal, but inside it was charred, black and brittle.

No, we never submitted such a deck.  We took pity on the operators
and the poor card reader...  (And with dozens of drawers of card
decks to chose from, it would have been easy to cover our tracks.)

And then there are all the stories of "rewind and break tape" macros,
(almost) all discovered accidentally.  Or the Fortran print statement
that did a line of underlines without advancing the paper, repeated
that oh, 100 times, then did 100 form feeds.  The operator was
untangling that printer for some time...

This school did have a very well-followed honor system, and it was
considered extrememly bad form to affect anyone else adversely.

--
A. Lester Buck		...!texbell!moray!siswat!buck

I78BC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Michael Polymenakos) (02/06/89)

  How about the young computer salesman giving some client a demonstration
of the new electronic word-processor? He loads up a large document, and
says: "watch this!". He hits a couple of keys, and converts every "i" in the
document to an "a", making the text unreadable.

  "And it you can change it all back, just like this" he proclaims,subsequently
converting all "a"s back to "i", including those that had been "a"s originally.

  Ofcource, it happened to a friend of a friend of mine.. :-)

-----

Another one my father told me:

  My dad was an electronics engineer in Greece, for a company that imported
various high-tech lab equipment. One of them (A HP spectrophotometer, I think)
was controlled by a special built-in computer, running optional proprietary
software. Each optional package was copy protected. To enforce that, installing
the package could only be done by a tech-rep; after the installation, the disks
were automatically erased, and the program was kept in battery-backed RAM.
  Anyway, at some point the computer lost all its programs. A call had to
be made to Germany, for new disks to be send as a replacement. My dad could not
find the reason for this, and he was really surprised when the client called
again, with the same problem next week. Call Germany again, install the disks
again, then next week guess what happened: The lab calls again.
  But there was a definite pattern: The lab always found the system down
on a Wednesday morning. Obviously, whatever went wrong happened on Tuesday
nights only....
  After more than a month of downtime, someone realized that the cleaning
lady came to the room every Tuesday night. Someone went to check her and found
out that she carried a nine-year old kid with her. The kid had discovered
the machine's on-off switch, with a few buttons next to it. When the
machine was on, pressing those buttons made cute sounds(aka. audible warnings!)
which are supposed to alert you to the fact that holding the button
down for a few seconds would completely reset the machine. I guess the kid
thought of it as an oversized musical instrument. The mom turned the
machine off before she left, erasing error codes etc. No-one knows
how much this story cost the lab in downtime.....

-------
|| | ||| | | || || |||
|  ||  |   |||||  ||     Michael S. Polymenakos      BC-CUNY
||| || | || || | ||| |

tmca@ut-emx.UUCP (The Anarch) (02/06/89)

This tale is true, I was there.

The DEC users group here occasionally has Q+A sessions with a representative
of said company which sometimes become complaint and apology sessions. I
remember one particular complaint from a Physics professor who claimed that
his microVax was having problems with its tk50 tape drive and he had lost
a fair quantity of data when the drive allegedly mangled a tape (magnetically,
not physically). Some discussion ensued and the professor griped that he
also didn't like the way that the screen display "flexed" every time they
turned the equipment on next door.

It turns out that the "equipment next door" is a largish Tokomak fusion
reactor - the electromagnets in the thing have to be seen to be believed.
(And this man is a physics professor - phew!)

Tim.
	Clean as a Q-Tip
	Quiet as nylon.

mercer@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) (02/06/89)

My favorite story is about a satellite link that went haywire every
Friday at 3:00 PM.   The company that owned the link immediately blamed
the software in their communications controllers.  Systems analysts were
dispatched on site,  and try as they did,  they couldn't find a
software  bug that could be responsible.  Finally,  by dumb luck
they found it.  A bunch of factory workers let off at 3:00 started
their weekend with a parking lot beer party and through their empty
cans in the satellite uplink.  A shift of security guards fixed
that.

--

Dan Mercer

terryl@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM (02/06/89)

In article <1357@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> aem@Mthvax.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
>In <4744@sfsup.UUCP>, <saal@/doc/dsg/saalUUCP> wrote:
>>I heard of someone that put a computer in
>>the microwave to dry it off.  I think
>>one of them, either the microwave or the
>>person that did it, exploded.
>
>It was a poodle, not a computer.
>
>heh heh

     No, no, no... It wasn't a poodle, it was a generic feline animal,
which gave us the new, inspirational expression: "Micro-roasted tomcat"...

     Double heh heh.....(-:

Boy
Do
Hate
Inews
!!!!
!!!!

frk@frksyv.UUCP (Frank Korzeniewski) (02/06/89)

Several years back I was working at a HMO and we had a lot of 8080 micros
using ADM3A dumb terminals. These terminals were so dumb that all they had
were upper case character sets. Eventually, upper managment was talked into
upgrading them to the ROM's with upper and lower case characters. Well, one
day we received this big three foot square box from the terminal manufacturer.
Everyone was puzzled as to what they could be sending us. The person with the
order said he had asked for 30 lower case options. The ADM3A terminal has
an upper and lower clamshell like case. When the box was opened we found
they had sent us 30 lower halfs to the terminal case.

||  Frank Korzeniewski, Consulting                 Suite 137                ||
||  Phone: (415) 799-1819                          1564-A Fitzgerald Drive  ||
||  UUCP: uunet!frksyv!frk                         Pinole, CA 94564         ||

cyosta@taux01.UUCP ( Yossie Silverman ) (02/07/89)

I have two stories to relate.  Both have to do with IBM machines (the large
veriaty):

1) Back when core memory was in use one could "listen" to the memory with a
   transistor radio.  A game amung system programmers was to access memory
   in such a manner as to produce recognizeble tunes on the radio.
2) Printers produce a buzzing with varying frequency depending on the text
   being printed (this is because of the rate at which the hammers strike the
   slugs in the print chain).  The same system programmers would also compete
   to see who could print a job that played specific (and known) tunes.

One further story that comes to mind.  It is said that specific models of
IBM mainframes had a bug whereby "branching backwards over a page boundry
to a paged out page would leave the supervisor bit turned on in the PSW
in the stored PSW".  I never was able to verify this but it makes some sort
of sense when you look at the hardware that IBM uses.

- Yossie
--
Yossie Silverman                                   What did the Caspian sea?
National Semiconductor Ltd. (Israel)				- Saki

eal@tut.fi (Lehtim{ki Erkki) (02/07/89)

Our company bought a text processing package and a salesman came to us to
install it. He had some difficulties in first time to install it, so he
decided to delete all his files and start over. But alas, instead of
typing DELETE [...]*.*.* (Yes, it's in VAX/VBMS), he typed

DELETE/NOLOG [*...]*.*.*

Few moments later i noticed that i had much more disk quota left than i
should have and noticed that all my files with DELETE privilege for same
user group had gone. And for everybody else too.

It was lucky that the salesman was not using system account.

--
Erkki A. Lehtim{ki        eal@tut.uucp   "I don't eat nutrasweet"

hollen@spot.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (02/07/89)

While a student at UCSD in the middle 60's I had the opportunity to
work many late nights in the computer punch card room on my physical
chemistry lab calculations.  One late night when the computer operator
was obviously bored, he invited me into the sanctum sanctorum - the
computer room.  The computer was a CDC 3600 and had a curving CONSOLE
about 8 feet long with several hundred lights and switches (in those
days, there was no such thing as terminal input).  On the far wall was
a bank of a dozen 1/2" tape drives with vacuum column tape tension
control.  He loaded up a deck into the card reader (the only command
input device)  and started it.  For the next 1/2 hour the computer
PLAYED the Stars and Stripes Forever and assorted Sousa marches,
using the tones on the CONSOLE (every light had its own tone) for
the high low notes and the tape drives for the low notes.  At the
same time, all the lights on the CONSOLE were blinking on and off.
Since I am now a full-time programmer, I finally appreciate the work
it must have taken a system level programmer to do that.  Talk about
primitive audio devices!

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

                                seismo!s3sun!megatek!hollen
                                ames!scubed/

jkl@csli.STANFORD.EDU (John Kallen) (02/07/89)

In article <1000@taux01.UUCP> taux01!cyosta@nsc.UUCP ( Yossie Silverman ) writes:
>1) Back when core memory was in use one could "listen" to the memory with a
>   transistor radio.  A game amung system programmers was to access memory
>   in such a manner as to produce recognizeble tunes on the radio.

I recall being shown a PDP-8 in Uppsala University two years ago. It
had a program that would perform memory accesses so as to generate
noise that could be picked up by an AM radio. I was most amazed to
hear a *polyhonic* version of "The Entertainer" come from a PDP-8 :-)

John.
_|_|___|___|____|_\|___|__|__|_jkl@csli.stanford.edu___________________________

hinojosa@hp-sdd.hp.com (Daniel Hinojosa) (02/07/89)

In article <1000@taux01.UUCP> taux01!cyosta@nsc.UUCP ( Yossie Silverman ) writes:
>2) Printers produce a buzzing with varying frequency depending on the text
>   being printed (this is because of the rate at which the hammers strike the
>   slugs in the print chain).  The same system programmers would also compete
>   to see who could print a job that played specific (and known) tunes.

A friend of mine told a story of one of these printers he and another
friend destroyed in a most interesting manner. These printers had, it
would seem, a sort of chain that held all of the characters. I guess
they held about three complete sets of the alphabet plus special
characters.

These chaps read the chain and created a file in their system that
had all of the characters of one pass in it. They gave the command to
print the file. Upon doing so the printer starts to spin the chain,
then SMACK! Trying to print all of those characters at once while the
chain was moving, didn't quite work. The fellow said they found
the print characters in various parts of their office for years
therafter.

email -  uunet!ucsd!hp-sdd!hinojosa | uunet!hplabs!hp-sdd!hinojosa
Jesus saves..but Gretzky gets the rebound!, He shoots, HE SCOOORES!!!

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (02/08/89)

I dont know if anyone else has repeated this one or not.  I was at a DECUS
conference about 6 yrs ago when a system programmer was laughing about
programming a Dec machine to seek around on a disk drive enough to cause the
cabinet to rock.  Apparently this became some sort of a game, so that they
actually wrote programs to make the drive cabinet walk around the room to
particular locations...
--
Larry W. Virden	 674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
75046,606 (CIS) ; LVirden (ALPE) ; osu-cis!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)

peggy@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peggy Shambo) (02/08/89)

In article <1742@hp-sdd.hp.com> hinojosa@hp-sdd.hp.com.UUCP (Daniel Hinojosa) writes:
>These chaps read the chain and created a file in their system that
>had all of the characters of one pass in it. They gave the command to
>print the file. Upon doing so the printer starts to spin the chain,
>then SMACK! Trying to print all of those characters at once while the
>chain was moving, didn't quite work. The fellow said they found
>the print characters in various parts of their office for years
>therafter.

Gee.. I used to be a computer operator (HISI) and we had a regular print
test program that printed all the characters.. in a stepped version like
this:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890!@#$%^&*()
 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890!@#$%^&*()
) abcdefghikjlmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890!@#$%^&*()

etc

Anyway, we never snapped a print chain on those.  And we did a print test
each shift, and those printers were working 24 hours a day (literally!)

I think the above mentioned print chain was just ready to go anyway.

cetron@wasatch.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) (02/08/89)

In article <799@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

>I dont know if anyone else has repeated this one or not.  I was at a DECUS
>conference about 6 yrs ago when a system programmer was laughing about
>programming a Dec machine to seek around on a disk drive enough to cause the
>cabinet to rock.  Apparently this became some sort of a game, so that they
>actually wrote programs to make the drive cabinet walk around the room to
>particular locations...

	Well, the DECUS part is right, the rest of the story sounds right, so
I guess this was me....but Larry, you left out WHY we made the RP's wander!

	Seems I was a young hotshot programmer-type and was working in the
corporate research unit of a big company (lets see, it makes LOTS of bandaids).
Well, it was the first time I ever used a machine with a disk drive in a room
that I could find (much less have permission to enter).  Never having had a
computer with version numbers before (this was RSX-11M 3.0 - dating myself
huh?) I never purged my directory.  Also given that I was hacking an immense
Data-entry and retrieval system in Fortran-IV (more dating (-: ), TKB would
do intense things to the drive, which was fragmented beyond belief.  This
tended to upset the system manager, one Mark Googleman, no end, since he'd
have to move the beast back into position.  Since two hackers on one machine
naturally tend to competition (could you crack into the machine, get priv'ed,
and log the other off BEFORE they noticed and logged you off?) and I was
embarassed when confronted with the proof that this was my fault, I naturally
bluffed my way out explaining that I was doing on purpose.  Well, one thing
led to another, and it became a ritual to leave taped papers to the floor with
one's name on it in the computer room.  The object was to spend as much time
from 9:00pm until 7:00am WITHOUT ENTERING THE COMPUTER ROOM, running programs,
doing TKB's etc, in order to move the RP's in a fixed manner.  In the morning,
the person with the disk drive closest to their name won the pool of money.

	I had slowly become the 'hardware champion' until one day Mark
managed to program the tape drive for christmas carols...sigh, I was so
devastated that I didn't even take up his challenge to make the RP's perform
accompaniment......

-ed cetron

(but no list of computer folklore can be complete without the "always mount
a scratch monkey" story... The originator was/is on the net somewhere.....)

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Jim Haynes) (02/08/89)

Time for some DEC stories.

A lot of the PDP11s had optional floating point hardware.  The assembler
program had an option flag so that it could either assemble floating
point instructions or assemble calls to a library of software routines
simulating the floating point hardware.  Well, once upon a time they
released a set of diagnostics for the floating point hardware that had
been accidentally assembled using the software simulation flag, so they
didn't exercise the hardware at all...

We had a system start crashing frequently, trashing the system disk in
the process.  After a lot of very painful examination by hand of disk
contents we concluded that it was occasionally missing a word
transfer, or doing an extra one, depending on the direction of transfer.
This we traced to a bad Unibus receiver chip that was allowing a glitch
to get through as a legitimate pulse.  The annoying thing was that the
disk diagnostic program never detected the problem, because it wrote
and read back a block of identical words, and didn't clear the read
buffer between reads.  When every word looks like every other you don't
notice the missing or extra ones.

Another G.E. story: nothing wrong here, just an interesting consideration.
In MULTICS the customers wanted the calendar time kept in something like
microseconds since midnight, January 1, 1901.  We had a whole rack of
equipment just for this clock, which used something like a 72-bit
register.  Some of the most significant bits of the clock wouldn't
change for years after it was built; so we had to have logic that
would copy the value to another register, flip all the bits, verify
that they flipped, then flip them all back and verify that they all
flipped back.

I had occasion to look at the date routines in an early version of the
operating system for the Burroughs 6500.  Not only did it take care of
leap years every four years; it correctly handled the exceptions for
centuries and millenia.  If you're going to write software that is
correct, you might as well write it to be correct for the next few
thousand years.  I guess you don't worry about the extra computation if
it's only executed once a day.
haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet
..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art."
        Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle

greenber@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Brian Greenberg) (02/08/89)

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal this past summer that told
of executives who were finally learning how to use/misuse their office
computers.  Two stories that I found particularly funny follow:

1.  One executive was reading directions on how to boot his machine with
    a floppy disk.  The directions said to remove the disk from it's
    protective sleeve and place it in the disk drive.  He was having trouble,
    and when the serviceman showed up, he found that the executive had
    removed the actual disk from the square plastic that it comes in.  No
    wonder the machine wouldn't boot!

2.  Another executive read that he should hit the Enter key, "the one with
    the elbow printed on it."  He was seen later that day attempting to
    hit the enter key with his elbow.

       ___                                    _____
      /   \  greenber@eniac.seas.upenn.edu   /
     /    )                                 (
    /----   ___     o    ___      ___       |    ___
   /    )  /  (    /    (   \    (   |      \       )
  /____)__/    \__/ \__/ \__)\__/|   (__/    \_____/ o

  "Dream on, but don't imagine they'll all come true" - B. Joel

amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (02/08/89)

In article <1101@rlgvax.UUCP> smadi@rlgvax.UUCP (On Paradise) writes:
|I have not witnessed this one, but some of my friends did.

I did, so here's a small :-) correction:

|Some computer-illiterate visitors were shown the CDC6400 at the Hebrew
|University of Jerusalem. One of them asked how does the machine do all
|these wonderful things; their guide joked that it has a small man
|inside.
|
|While he was speaking, a CDC technician (the late Rachmim Moreno, a
|small man indeed) has just finished some routine maintenance and
|stepped out of the machine.

It was not a CDC6400, but a PDP 11/45 (long cabinet).  Anybody could walk
into the CDC...
--
	Amos Shapir				amos@nsc.com
National Semiconductor (Israel) P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel

tp@granite.dec.com (t patterson) (02/09/89)

  in the computer folklore vein...

>From: cetron@wasatch.UUCP (Edward J Cetron)
>-ed cetron
>
>(but no list of computer folklore can be complete without the "always mount
>a scratch monkey" story... The originator was/is on the net somewhere.....)

    I looked in the ol' archives, and, sure enough, I'd saved the
"always mount a scratch monkey" story:

:>From: postpischil@being.dec.com (Always mount a scratch monkey.)
:Newsgroups: net.jokes
:Subject: Rape, a bathroom, and a monkey
:Date: 21 Aug 86 15:35:45 GMT
:
:...
:				-- edp
:				Eric Postpischil
:				"Always mount a scratch monkey."
:...
:
:
:Next, we have the Scratch Monkey story.
:
:    Seems one day Bud was sitting at his desk when the phone rang.
:
:    Bud:	Hello.
:    Voice:	YOU KILLED MABEL!!
:    B:		Excuse me?
:    V:		YOU KILLED MABEL!!
:
:    This went on for a couple of minutes and Bud was getting nowhere,
:    so he decided to alter his approach to the customer.
:
:    B:		HOW DID I KILL MABEL?
:    V:		YOU PM'ED MY MACHINE!!
:
:    Well to avoid making a long story even longer, I will abbreviate
:    what had happened.  The customer was a biologist at a university
:    and he had a PDP12 that controlled gas mixtures that Mabel
:    (the monkey) breathed.  Now Mabel was not your ordinary monkey.
:    The University had spent years teaching Mabel to swim and they were
:    studying the effects that different gas mixtures had on her physiology.
:    It turns out that the Field Service Branch had just gotten a new
:    Calibrated Power Supply (used to calibrate Analog equipment) and
:    at their first opportunity, decided to calibrate the D/A converters
:    in the PDP12.  This changed some of the gas mixtures and poor Mabel
:    was asphyxiated.  Well, Bud then called the Branch Manager of the
:    Field Service branch:
:
:    Manager:	Hello
:    B:		This is Bud DeFore, I heard you did a PM at the University
:    		of Blah-de-blah.
:    M:		Yes, we really performed a complete PM.  What can I
:    		do for You?
:    B:		Can You Swim?
:
:The moral is, of course, always mount a scratch monkey.

    Just after I first heard this, I was visiting a professor at Washington
University School of Medicine who'd been having problems with some of his
PDP-11's. I noticed a little metal contraption with lots of little straps
on it. I was informed that they'd would strap a monkey to it so they could
experiment with visual perceptions stuff, like how well a monkey could
track a moving object with its eyes while its brain was being "stimulated"
(a euphemism for "receiving electric shocks"). It seems that one day they'd
left the monkey strapped in just before somebody came in to run diagnostics
on the '11 controlling the lab instruments ... they ended up with one very
fried monkey.
    (apparently this was only one in a long series of horror stories
about "those dumb lab assistants who always screw up my experiments" so
this is really "med school folklore")

    Our little conversation ended with:
       me:  Well, that just goes to show you...
       professor: Yes?
       me:  Always Mount a Scratch Monkey.
--
t. patterson		domain:	tp@decwrl.dec.com    path: decwrl!tp
			icbm:	122 9 41 W / 37 26 35 N

BVAUGHAN@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Barbara Vaughan) (02/09/89)

In 1972, I was assigned the task of writing an interactive user
interface for a statistical analysis program written in FORTRAN IV.
I was told that the users were "MBA types; not very quantitative and
with little background in statistics." ( I hope this is no longer
true of MBA's.) Anyway, writing such an interface in FORTRAN IV was
no picnic, but I tried to make it very friendly. Plain English
questions, examples of correct answers, range checks to determine
validity of responses, helpful error messages.  One of the first
users to test the program said that it kept bombing out on question
3. "Enter number of thingamabobs (Valid responses 1 to 5):". I
asked what her response had been and she said "Five". Puzzled, I
asked if I could watch her run the program. This is what I saw:
...(Valid responses 1 to 5): FIVE
That's when I realized what nonquantitative really meant. Even
though FORTRAN IV had no character string handling capability
(You had to declare your characters as INTEGER or REAL), I had to
write a routine to read all keyboard input as characters, convert
to numbers, and add a friendly message to explain what a number was.

bga@raspail.UUCP (Bruce Albrecht) (02/09/89)

When Grinnell College upgraded from a PDP 11/45 to an 11/70, the DEC field
engineer finished the installation and booted the 11/70.  It started up, and
15 seconds later, it promptly died.  He tried it again, and it failed again.
He called up his superior, who thought about it for a few moments, asked him
if he had removed the loopback plugs on all the serial interface boards.  It
seems that RSTS/E sends out a message informing the users that the system is
on its way up, and when the message was sent, the loopback plug turned it
into a user input, to which the system sent a message 'input ignored.',
which also became user input ..., and the system died because it ran out of
free buffers.

jbs@rti.UUCP (Joe Simpson) (02/09/89)

A friend of mine used to work for Northern Telecom, and said this story
circulated there:

A team of installers was installing a DMS-10 digital telephone switch
somewhere in Tenessee. They had it set up and had been testing it all day;
everything seemed to work okay, so they left early in the evening to go
barhopping and rabble-rousing, as NT installers are said to be wont to do.
Next morning they came in only to find that the switch had failed during
the night, and a couple of circuit boards were fried to boot. They replaced
the boards, tested it all day, and left again that evening. Next morning,
same result. This went on for a couple of days, and finally one of the
installers bunked down next to the DMS-10. Along about midnight, in came
the cleaning lady with a feather duster, and proceeded to dust everythibg
in the room, including the exposed circuit boards.

UNRELATED STORY:

When I was an undergrad at UNC, I spent a little time in the graduate
department's graphics lab. When one of the grads was showing us the
hardware, he pointed out a large rubber mallet sitting beside one of the
cabinets. He said that the connection between the chips' prongs and their
sockets sometimes became poor, and often when the system acted up the cure
was to bang on the cabinet with the mallet to reseat the chips. He also
said anytime they had a photo of the lab taken, they made sure the mallet
was visible in the picture, and sent a copy to DEC, who apparently knew
exactly what the mallet was for.

sue@beep.UUCP (Sue D. Nimh) (02/09/89)

In article <35619@bbn.COM>, mthome@bbn.com (Mike Thome) writes:
=> The only other good (& also true) microwave story I know is:
=> 	The Amazing Randi, in his Big Sting of the Psychic Researchers
=> Operation had two young unknown magicians pose as psychics to be
=> researched... one of the feats of mentalist powers they were asked to
=> demonstrate was "to do something" to a pair of digital watches. Well,
=> they stared and kneeded the watched without effect until lunch, when they
=> palmed 'em and nuked 'em for a minute on high.  After lunch the
=> researchers were astounded!

     What happened to the watches?  Did they run faster from the magnetic
fields?

     I found out something rather disturbing about microwave ovens a
couple of years ago.  I had opened a bottle of Ocean Spray Juice and
without thinking about it, dropped the cap on top of our microwave
oven, a Sears model from approx 1970.  The cap stood ON EDGE at about
a 60 degree angle from the surface.  And to think that I thought
"This is a convenient place to set my tapes"!

     [Un]fortunately, our new microwave does not show this behavior.

--
						Sue D. Nimh

scooter!beep!sue
"I am not a crook!" -- Richard Nixon

dougf@dougf.Caltech.Edu (Doug Freyburger) (02/09/89)

In article <6255@saturn.ucsc.edu> haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Jim Haynes) writes:

>I had occasion to look at the date routines in an early version of the
>operating system for the Burroughs 6500.  Not only did it take care of
>leap years every four years; it correctly handled the exceptions for
>centuries and millenia.  If you're going to write software that is
>correct, you might as well write it to be correct for the next few
>thousand years.  I guess you don't worry about the extra computation if
>it's only executed once a day.
>haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu

	My office-mate years ago at JPL lived through this:
When the Viking Mars probes where launched, noone thought they'd
last very long in Mars oribt, so the programs saved a few bytes
by ignoring leap years and hardwiring 366 in (1976 was leap).
The next year everyone was called in to rewrite their systems
for downloading to Mars with a 365 day year.  Better yet, both
spacecraft were still going strong in 1980 and most of the crew
were long gone to other projects.  Everyone had to be called
back for another download to Mars.  It pays to include leap year
into your code.

	From personal experience:
I remember a Lunar-Lander game written in PDP-11 TECO that used
VT100 cursor keys.  The entire program looked like your terminal
was at the wrong baud rate (standard TECO programming form).  It
ran without change on the old PDP-10 still surviving at college
and later on the brand-new VAX as well as 3 different O/S versions
of PDP-11 without change.

	From rumors of ancient DEC history:
The system programmer group writing TOPS-10 used to love fancy
TECO programs and had a weekly contest for them.  One guru working
on ForTran compilers would read them carefully but never enter one.
They thought he was just concentrating on compilers.  Then one week
he submitted a macro that did ForTran compilation, complete with
optimization.  The TECO program took days to run, but it worked.
Apparently he had written a PDP-10 instruction set emulator in
TECO and feed the compiler to it!
dougf@wega.caltech.edu

Douglas J Freyburger
Caltech 206-49
Pasadena, CA 91125

(818)356-2913

merlyn@intelob.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz @ Stonehenge) (02/09/89)

Back in the early days, I was using an ADM-3 from a friend's house (hi
Greg Jorgenson!) with an old acoustical-coupled modem.  The modem was
attached used on the house phone... a party line (!).  We were
accustomed to getting bumped with funny little noise characters when
the party-liners would try to pickup the phone for a call, but
otherwise tied up the line for the usual hours-on-end we hackers are
known for.

One day, we picked up the phone to make a call, and found that the
party-liners were on it (two female voices).  Since we had nothing
better to do, we decided to listen in.  The conversation went
something like:

Voice 1: Did you just hear that?
Voice 2: Yeah, it was a click.  Must be our party line.
Voice 1: A party line?  Does that mean they are listening to us?
Voice 2: I don't think they can.  All I can hear when they are talking
         is some beeps.

We scrambled to hang up the phone to cover our instant hysterical
laughter.  Little did they know... :-)
--
Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095
on contract to BiiN (for now :-), Hillsboro, Oregon, USA.

bass@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu (Vance Bass) (02/09/89)

Heard recently from an IBM field service manager:

A huge travel agency in Florida (a major booker of Caribbean cruises for
blue-haired retired ladies) recently bought an IBM 3090 to handle the
reservation database.  When the deal was consummated, the proud new
owner asked IBM to install it in a big glass room right behind the
receptionist's area so all the customers could see the flashing lights
and spinning tape reels as they walked in -- a testimony to the
modernity of the agency.
Good idea, except there are no blinking lights on a 3090.  So the
service manager offered to build some.  They hired a theatrical designer
to come up with a suitably futuristic "set", got curved glass walls to
minimize reflections, and installed the mainframe behind the
"real-looking" facade.  The customer declared that it was exactly what
he had in mind, regardless of what the actual computer looks like.

Moral: the customer is always right.

--

Vance Bass			The opinions expressed here are strictly
IBM M&SG			my own, and do not necessarily

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (02/09/89)

Yet another true IBM story:

My girlfriend's father is a service tech for IBM.  He had one computer
that would periodically lock up for no apparent reason.  He tried
replacing all sorts of boards, drives, and other hardware to no avail.
Finally, he called in the specialists.

The specialists arrived with many special tools, and in one case a
very special tool.  In an old style case, in a custom-molded velour
covered interior, sat the Vibra-matic - a rubber mallet.  They had
brought this as a joke, but....

It turned out that the power supply wasn't completely welded to the
ground, and the vibration of the machine caused intermittent power
failures of extremely short duration.  This was fixed, and tested with
the specialists banging on the chassis with the Vibra-matic while my
girlfriend's father stuck his head inside to look for vibration.
Luckily the owners of the machine never saw them.

Mark
--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
RPO 1604; P.O. Box 5063   that you do not miss what is right under your nose."

peggy@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peggy Shambo) (02/09/89)

'Way back when I used-to-wuz a computer operator, we had a BIG RED
button on the operator's console for an emergency powerdown.  Well,
one night one of the operators accidently dropped something onto it,
and *vooom*.. no system.  The next day he was explaining how he did
it.. and *vooom*  hit the button.. no system.  So they built a little
arch-shaped lucite cover over the button.  So what happens then?  The
one and the same operator was showing how it could be hit anyway...
and *vooom*... no system!!!!

Last I knew, he still worked there.. but in customer support.. no longer
on the console.. I wonder why?   :-)

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Jim Haynes) (02/09/89)

In article <7129@pucc.Princeton.EDU> BVAUGHAN@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>In 1972, I was assigned the task of writing an interactive user
>interface for a statistical analysis program written in FORTRAN IV.
>I was told that the users were "MBA types; not very quantitative and
>with little background in statistics."

That reminded me of a story in Norbert Wiener's autobiography.  During
World War II he was in charge of a group of people who ran desk calculators
to solve ballistics problems.  The people were called "computers".
He always had trouble getting enough computers to handle the workload,
what with the military manpower situation.  Once when the Army couldn't
get scientific computers they sent him a bunch of accountants.  He
said these would carry out every calculation to two decimal places
and no more! (They thought only in dollars and cents.)

In article <Feb.8.22.02.43.1989.5589@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
>The specialists arrived with many special tools, and in one case a
>very special tool.  In an old style case, in a custom-molded velour
>covered interior, sat the Vibra-matic - a rubber mallet.  They had
>brought this as a joke, but....

One of the design engineers at G.E. kept an electric vibrator in his
desk.  I think it was originally an engraver, not a massager or sexual
vibrator.  Anyway, when we seemed to have intermittent problems in a
machine he would plug in the vibrator and touch it to each circuit board
in the suspect area while running a diagnostic program.  At that time
G.E. had a small enough number of machines in the field such that
when a customer's machine was in bad trouble and the regular field
engineers couldn't fix it the company would pull together a small
group of engineers and programmers who had participated in the design
of the hardware and software and send them to camp out at the site
until the problem was solved.  So that's where the vibrator probably
found the most use.

In article <1232@raspail.UUCP> bga@raspail.UUCP (Bruce Albrecht) writes:

>seems that RSTS/E sends out a message informing the users that the system is
>on its way up, and when the message was sent, the loopback plug turned it
>into a user input, to which the system sent a message 'input ignored.',
>which also became user input ..., and the system died because it ran out of
>free buffers.

Sounds like a bug I just fixed in the syslogd we use here at Athena.

Our syslogd is modified to allow syslog message to be sent out to
users over the network using the zephyr message delivery system.  One
of the requirements of all pieces of software using zephyr is that
they call the routine ZInitialize() before using any zephyr functions.

Well, one day I decided that I wanted to receive *all* syslog messages
on my workstation, so I placed "*.debug   jik" in my syslog.conf file.
Instead of receiving all messages, the next time I rebooted the
workstation I stopped receiving any messages at all!

It turns out that the person who put the zephyr code into the syslogd
sources placed it *after* the syslogd init call.  The init call
attempts to log a startup message on level syslog.warning.  Since
*.debug gets syslog.warning messages, it attempted to send me the
startup message over zephyr.  Well, ZInitialize() hadn't been run
yet, so this generated an error, which syslogd promptly attempted to
log to syslog.error, which therefore attempted to send a notice out to
me, which generated an error, which syslogd promptly attmpted.... you
get the idea.  It eventually died a cruel, horrible death and didn't
so much as leave a core file.

The fix was nothing more than moving two lines of code eight lines
down in the sources.

Of course, in the infinite wisdom of the release engineering team
here, that fix has *still* not been installed in the standard release,
although it's been several months since I submitted it :-)

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				410 Memorial Drive, No. 223F
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Cambridge, MA 02139-4318
Office: 617-253-4261			      Home: 617-225-8218

ron_b@apollo.COM (Ronald Buttiglieri) (02/09/89)

In article <2887@sybase.sybase.com> robert@jive.UUCP (Robert Garvey) writes:

>  Heard a story about a company whose PC software was being blamed for
>  the consistent failure to read backup data off floppies.  Unable to
>  determine the cause, they finally sent someone to sit beside the
[superfluous type removed]
>  the drive and started to label it.  A blank label was put on and the
>  disk inserted into the carriage of an electric typewriter...

Here's a few (I'll try to be brief):

A friend was doing some PC consulting work on the side. Most of the
people he was dealing with started out being completely computer-
illiterate. One such gentleman had a database set up for him by my friend.
He was given explicit instructions on how to start up every morning and
shut down at night. After a week, my friend received a frantic call from
his client who said that the computer "couldn't find any data". My friend
(who did back up the system previously) told the gentleman what to do,
relay the results to him over the phone. Sounded like the data disk was
erased, so my friend told him how to copy from the backed-up diskette.
Everything went fine, the gentleman thanked him and went about his computing
merry way. Next week, the same scenario occurred. And the following week.
On the fourth week, my friend (slightly perturbed by now) instructed the
client to shut down the system so he could observe the procedure first-hand.

My friend went down to his client's place of business and sat down with him.
He then asked his client to "go ahead and start 'er up". The gentleman booted
the PC, started the software program, and was ready to insert the data disk.
He turned around and removed the diskette from his white-board, the diskette
being held up with a small magnet.

After peeling himself off the wall, my friend went on to instruct his client
on the theory of magnetic media (and charged him a sh*tload of money for
being so stupid! only kidding :^).

My other story again has to do with the perils of the 5 1/4" floppy disk.
My 2 college roommates and I were playing some computer games one Friday
night (real exciting bunch, huh?) when we decided to make it into a
drinking game (typical college attitude). Well, one of my buddies was into
slow-gin (sp?). We got a little too happy |^) and spilled one of these
drinks all over the diskette (it was out of the drive at the time). We didn't
notice this until the next morning (or was it afternoon?). The diskette
with our FAVORITE GAME was destroyed! (or so we thought) Just then, my
other roommate had the bright notion (actually, he said he heard of this
somewhere before) of salvaging the diskette by removing the magnetic
media from the jacket (all very sticky at that point) and gently rinsing it
under luke-warmwater (from Star Wars, remember him? sorry). We replaced
the cleansed and dried floppy media into a clean jacket, copied it onto
a good blank disk, and had our game running in no time!

From that point on, all floppies toted the phrase, "Dishwasher safe, and
just look at that shine!"

Ron

P.S. I guess I wasn't so brief after all. Sorry.

brent@uwovax.uwo.ca (Brent Sterner) (02/10/89)

   Back in my undergrad years, a fellow student had access to the
departmental PDP-8.  He also had access to the academic centre's
machine room, and somehow acquired the PDP-10 sign from that
system.  The PDP-10 sign was hung proudly on the PDP-8, particularly
when a tour was being given.
   When asked about the sign, his reply was:  "Octal".

brent@uwovax.uwo.ca (Brent Sterner) (02/10/89)

   A caper which preceeded my employment at this site (and that
is a *long* time ago :-) involved on of the first PDP-10 systems
ever shipped.  (I have trouble remembering if it was serial number
8 or 10, octal or decimal.)  The time frame was 1967 or so...
   Those early PDP-10 systems required assembly and linking of the
OS, and deliberate software switch setting to enable certain "features".
One release of the OS had a new feature, called "swapping".
   Hackers have been around a long time.  There was a rather strong
desire to test this new feature.  Problem was, there was no disk
available to try it out on.  Or was there...
   Next to the PDP-10 sat an IBM 7040 system.  Like the PDP-10 system,
it used a 36 bit word.  And you guessed it.  The 7040 was programmed
to read and write the data channel assigned to swapping.  And it apparently
worked.
   I don't know the authors of this effort.  Names of people who might
know more include John McHardy, Dave (?) Freedman (?), and/ or Dave
Ellwood.  I'd very much like to get this story straight, so if anyone
knows the whereabouts and can correct the story, it would be appreciated.  b.

In article <7129@pucc.Princeton.EDU> BVAUGHAN@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>That's when I realized what nonquantitative really meant. Even
>though FORTRAN IV had no character string handling capability
>(You had to declare your characters as INTEGER or REAL), I had to
>write a routine to read all keyboard input as characters, convert
>to numbers, and add a friendly message to explain what a number was.

Even if you're not dealing with "MBA types", you should always do this
in any serious program.  Even people who know what the correct
program performed range checks, so why did you consider syntax checks
unnecessary until the user screwed up?

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

curtc@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM (Curtis Charles) (02/10/89)

Back in the good ol' days of card readers, a game we discussed was how
to obtain passwords.  Jobs were submitted by setting your deck of cards
on a counter.  An operator would grab all the jobs on the counter, run
them through the reader, and return them with their output later.

We're talking CDC hardware here, so various combinations of 6-7-8-9 or
7-8-9 punches indicated End of Job, or End of Record.  Well, there was
a magic combination (6-8-9?) that was interpreted as "read binary, and
ignore other control punches except the magic combination."

So, the devious programmer submits two jobs, the first has a program to
read binary data, followed by a 6-8-9 and (for the operators
consumption only) a 6-7-8-9.  The second job just has a 6-8-9 to switch
the system out of binary mode.  The two jobs are placed on the counter
is such a way that the first job will be the first on through the card
reader and the second job will be the last one through the card reader,
with other students jobs inbetween.  Viola', you've got a whole list of
accounts and passwords.

Of course, the operator might become suspicious when 10 jobs go in and
only 1 comes out.  Or, he might scramble the order of the jobs left on
the counter defeating the plan.  I'm not sure anybody actually did this,
but it strikes me as an easy way to breach security.

----------------- I'd rather die on K2 than I-5 ------------------------
Curt Charles                 | "Let our swords run red with the blood of
curtc@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM      | infidels..."              -- Sean Connery

arensb@cvl.umd.edu (Andrew Arensburger) (02/10/89)

	Peterson and Silberschatz (_Operating_System_Concepts_, Addison-
Wesley, 2nd edition, p.121) point out the importance of good scheduling
algorithms when one is designing an operating system:

	"Rumor has it that when they closed down the 7094 at MIT in 1973,
they found a low-priority job that had been submitted in 1967 and had not
yet been run."

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (02/10/89)

Another subclass of computer folklore is the occasional barbed comment
that one can find when reading through source code.  Operating-system
programmers seem particularly prone to witty, shamefaced, or other
slightly-off-center comments in their code.

Some examples come to mind (some of the details may be incorrect;  it's
been a long time since I read any of this code):

1) DEC RSX-11M (???) operating system.  System fault handler module.  If
   a bus-check fault occurs (indicating possible hardware problems with
   some device on the bus), the O/S traps to a fault-handler routine
   that tries to identify the offending hardware and reset it.  If,
   while attempting to recover from a bus-check fault, a second such
   fault occurs, the system traps again... this time to a routine which
   simply masks off all processor interrupts and hangs in a tight loop.
   It's necessary to manually reset the machine to unhang it.

   The comment on the loop reads "The death of God left the angels in a
   strange position."

2) There are a couple of comments in the output-symbiont (print spooler)
   code in the old Xerox CP-V operating system.  At the top of a long
   block of convoluted and otherwise undocumented code, there appears a
   taunting

	"See if you can figure out what I'm doing here."

   Somewhat further on, there's a really dubious code-construct (I don't
   recall just what was being done), adorned with the comment

	"I'm ashamed of this"

3) In the synchronous-terminal (BISYNC) module in the CP-6 operating
   system's communications software, there's a routine that construct
   synchronous data blocks (the ones that start out with the characters
   "syn, syn, dle", and so forth).  The code comment reads

	"With a SYNC SYNC here...
	 and a SYNC SYNC there..."

   The module is labeled "EIE_IO".

4) A related module, which was responsible for driving the Unit Record
   Peripheral printer, was labelled "Y@URP".
--
Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

BVAUGHAN@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Barbara Vaughan) (02/10/89)

In article <36279@think.UUCP>, barmar@think.COM (Barry Margolin) writes:

>In article <7129@pucc.Princeton.EDU> BVAUGHAN@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>>That's when I realized what nonquantitative really meant.
I had to
>>write a routine to read all keyboard input as characters.
>>to numbers, and add a friendly message to explain what a number was.
>
>Even if you're not dealing with "MBA types", you should always do this
>in any serious program.  Even people who know what the correct
>program performed range checks, so why did you consider syntax checks
>unnecessary until the user screwed up?
>Thinking Machines Corp.

 As I said in my original posting, this was early 1970's; most input
 was still on punch cards.  The whole idea of "users"  other than
 programmers was a novel one.  My program was actually pretty
 advanced for its time.  In order to even make a syntax check, I had
 to write a number of string-handling functions myself.  The syntax
 checking and character-to-numeric conversions also noticeably slowed
 down operation of the program.  It could be argued that all in
 all it was better to let the thing bomb.  Maybe you're too young to
 remember computing in the early 70's.

daemon@felix.UUCP (The devil himself) (02/10/89)

--------------------
I once worked at a company that released a version of Unix on a series of
7 floppies for installation on micros.  These micros tended to be sold into
doctor's and lawyer's offices where there were never any computer literate
folk (and the vendors were always scarce when the end user's needed them).
Hence we had many amusing phone calls on our 800 line placed by secretaries
trying to load Unix.
From: merle@felix.UUCP (Linda Merle)

One afternoon the following awaited us on our return to lunch:

"I'm following your instructions exactly, and I am still having a problem.
I have placed floppies 1 through 6 into the floppy drive, but I can't
stuff floppy 7 in no matter how hard I try!"

Our directions said "Insert next floppy".  We forgot to say "Remove
floppy and insert the next".

We spent the rest of the afternoon seeing how many floppies we could stuff
into a floppy.

linda

"If men are God's gift to women....
 He's really into gag gifts!"

cdash@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Charles Shub) (02/10/89)

can anybody who was at Maryland in the 1965 time frame recount the
broken 1401s, alfred e. neumann, and the board of education story?

charlie shub  cdash@boulder.Colorado.EDU  -or-  ..!{ncar|nbires}!boulder!cdash
  or even     cdash@colospgs (BITNET)

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Jim Haynes) (02/10/89)

In article <1583@uwovax.uwo.ca> brent@uwovax.uwo.ca (Brent Sterner) writes:
>One release of the OS had a new feature, called "swapping".

That reminds me.  Somebody said he once configured an IBM 370 system to
use the card reader/punch as the paging device, and it worked!

haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet
..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art."
        Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle

tcsc@tcsc3b2.UUCP (The Computer Solution Co.) (02/10/89)

In 1968, while attending a large, midwestern University, I
worked in the Department for Administrative Research.  While
providing design and programming assistance to the Alumni
Records department, we ran into an interesting problem.

The Alumni Records office desired to embed all kinds of
information into the key value used to identify each of the
school's alumni.  This led to a very long, unwieldy key value.
When mailing labels were printed, both the key value and a
special code used by the mailing machines was required on the
top line of the label.  We ran out of space on the label.

Not to worry!  This fancy computer (a "brand new" IBM 360/50
running OS/PCP) could transform a numeric key value into an
alphanumeric value by converting the alumni-record key from the
too long base-10 number to a shorter base-36 number.  Just use
all of the letters and digits!

Just as we sat back to congratulate ourselves on serving the
user's needs with the clever application of technology, we got
a call from the mailing house ...

"Our delivery man just returned from the Post Office.  They
won't take your mailing.  It looks like somebody tampered with
your list.  You better get down here right away!"

There, on top of one of the trays of mail was a label with the
converted alumni record identifier.  It read something like ...

	-------------------------------
       | 123FUCK69A4       MM  43210** |
       | MISS INGRID BEASLEY  EDU. 29  |
       |   ...                         |

The mailing was instructing Miss Beasley to mark all further
correspondence to the office of Alumni Records with her "new
computer identifier code" shown on the label.  Needless to say,
the Office of Alumni Records failed to see the humor in it all.
We thought that at her age, Miss Beasley (Edu. 29) might actually
take the "computer's mistake" as a complement!

Thereafter, we were instructed to add the "DIRTY-WORD-ROUTINE"
which performed a table lookup of every word which a committee of
about a dozen of the raunchiest people in the department could
come up with.  But what about short phrases?  And how about
maintenance of the table?  Whose budget does this come out of?

A student programmer, invited to a meeting to "see design in
the real world" made an unwanted suggestion.  Just convert to
base-31 and don't use vowels.  It worked.  The next year, they
changed the alumni records identifier again.  I graduated.
David P. Romig				| The Computer Solution Company
UUCP      : tcsc@tcsc3b2		| 1009 Sycamore Square
CompuServe: 74116,2345			| P.O. Box 716
Voice     : (804)794-3491 x31		| Midlothian, VA  23113-0716

jefu@pawl.rpi.edu (Jeffrey Putnam) (02/10/89)

In article <6761@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM> curtc@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM (Curtis Charles) writes:
>Back in the good ol' days of card readers, a game we discussed was how
>to obtain passwords.  ...

Reminds me of the Univac 1100 series machine i used in grad school.  Accounts
were tight (student accounts always seem to be tight.) so getting borrowed
accounts was a prime activity (it was considered illegal, but when you
could blow your entire student computing account in a single run, what else
could you do?).

I discovered that when you asked for memory (or was it disk, or both?) what
you got was not zeroed out.  This meant that you could just keep asking for,
then freeing memory and looking through it for the spots where people had
entered their accounting information.  Since every job started with
a card that looked something like "@run xxx,username,passwd" (or something
similar), it was easy enough just to run through memory looking for
strings that looked like "@run", then save them and eventually print them
out.

By the time i figured this out though, i was a TA with essentially unlimited
accounts.  I did try it for amusement sake and in a fifteen minute run managed
to collect somewhere in the neighborhood of a hundred different run cards.

jeff putnam        --  "You never learn anything...
jefu@pawl.rpi.edu  --   ... You just get used to it."

uucibg@sw1e.UUCP (3929]) (02/10/89)

In article <20324@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> cc1@cs.ucla.edu (Ken Bartlett, Net.Caddy) writes:

>I have a very funny computer anecdote to share!

[fake computer story in generally poor taste]

>----====----====----====----====----====----====----====----====----====----
>cc1@cs.ucla.edu                 Ken Bartlett            izzy947@oac.ucla.edu
>        "Yes indeed, computer folklore--humor in its highest form."
>====----====----====----====----====----====----====----====----====----====

I find it interesting that you seem to be the *only* person so far who has
complained about the cross-posting.  Do you truly feel that you have the right
to impose your value system upon the rest of the net?  Next time, please try
reason before a tirade.

Brian R. Gilstrap                          Southwestern Bell Telephone
One Bell Center Rm 17-G-4                  ...!ames!killer!texbell!sw1e!uucibg
St. Louis, MO 63101                        ...!bellcore!texbell!sw1e!uucibg
(314) 235-3929
#include <std_disclaimers.h>

berman-andrew@CS.YALE.EDU (Andrew P. Berman) (02/11/89)

	This supposedly occured at Princeton to a grad student who later became
an assistant professor....

	Some grad students were annoyed with this particular grad.  He was
known for being a rogue-maniac. They were using a UNIX system.  The other guys
used a security hole in 'Mail' to obtain privileged status.  They altered rogue
a bit to check if this person was playing the game, and to make the game much
easier if it was him.   The next time the poor guy played it, he won.  But
his name didn't appear on the high score list.

	I think they also screwed up 'vi' to check if he was using it and to
reverse all the commands if he was...

gshippen@pollux.usc.edu (Gregory Shippen) (02/11/89)

Way back in the stone-age of microprocessors I worked for a small company which
made a TI9900 based machine for dentist offices.  It included an old Diablo
10Mb disk drive.  This was a 5Mb fixed, 5 Mb removeable type drive.  These were
the unsealed non-winchester type of course so you had a filter inside the drive
to keep the disk area clean.  (You know, the kind you put in expensive computer
room).

I was involved in fixing many of the disk drives that came back after
suffering a dreaded head crash.  I remember distinctly getting one disk drive
back.  We opened the drive up and removed the fixed disk since it had crashed.
The platter had a distinct faded look, the usual dark brown had turned into a
very light brown.  The drive was filthy.  Due to the strange shape of the
drive, we asked the field service guy just where the drive had been.  He
explained that the doctor who owned the office had put the entire system
except the terminal in was described to me as "the green-house".  Looking back
I suspect it was probably something akin to a solarium! He probably didn't like
the noise the system made (ahh for the good old days when disk drives
effectively simulated jet aircraft on takeoff) and put the system in the
nearest place where nobody would be bothered.

Sadly, I suspect that the company's demise some years later was due largely to
the fact that the hardware required careful preventative maintenance and was
unsuited to the turn it on and forget about it mentality of dentist's
assistants and receptionists.  Therein points I suspect to a major element in
the ultimate success of PC's -- winchester disks. Turn it on and forget it!

Greg Shippen
gshippen@pollux.usc.edu
University of Southern California

peggy@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peggy Shambo) (02/11/89)

I used to work at a Honeywell installation, where we had a super-genius
of a systems engineer, affectionately known as "Gentle Ben".  This man
could read system dump the way most people would read the funny papers
(or the net? :-)  He was the core of systems intelligence.

But as super-genius people are sometimes labelled "eccentric", Gentle Ben
was not an exception:

Smoking in the computer room was verboten, and he knew it.  But he would
light up right at the operator's console, take a few drags, then suddenly
remember something and dash off, stuffing his *lit* cigarette into his
coat pocket... then wonder where the burning smell was coming from.

Drinking was also a no-no in the computer room, but Ben would stop by the
coffee machine on his way into the computer room and walk in with his cup
in one hand, his cigarette in the other.  On several occasions he was
observed to place his cigarette *into* the coffee cup (still with coffee
in it) and a few minutes later, while engrossed in problem solving, take
a sip of the coffee... cigarette and all.. and not even notice!!!

Peggy

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Jim Haynes) (02/11/89)

In article <557@rpi.edu> jefu@pawl.rpi.edu (Jeffrey Putnam) writes:

>I discovered that when you asked for memory (or was it disk, or both?) what
>you got was not zeroed out.

In RSTS/E you could ask for disk space and what you got was not zeroed out.
So you could scan it and read entire files - in fact somebody wrote a
utility for recovering accidentally deleted files.  UNIX is less rewarding
that way, since it rarely puts successive blocks of a file into contiguous
blocks on disk.

dlm@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Auntie Dion) (02/11/89)

In article <2774@rti.UUCP> jbs@rti.UUCP (Joe Simpson) writes:
>When I was an undergrad at UNC, I spent a little time in the graduate
>department's graphics lab. When one of the grads was showing us the
>hardware, he pointed out a large rubber mallet sitting beside one of the
>cabinets. He said that the connection between the chips' prongs and their
>sockets sometimes became poor, and often when the system acted up the cure
>was to bang on the cabinet with the mallet to reseat the chips.

Long before there was DEC we had an SDS 920 computer.  These had
printed circuit cards with gold plated contacts and gas tight
connectors.  They were a bitch to reseat.  You had to pound them
into the socket with a mallet.  One day, as were were reseating
the card a senior executive wandered by and saw what was
happening and said "I've heard of kicking coke machines but this
is ridiculous!"

The same computer also must have been pregnant as it had "morning
sickness".  In the morning when we turned it one, it wouldn't
work until we let it warm up for a half an hour.

Then there was the time it broke.  Most of it still worked but
the shift instructions wouldn't work, we called it a shiftless
computer.

Then there was the Army tech that was lazy and dropped a screw
driver [so he says] from the Supply bus to the AC line and fried
every transistor in the computer.  In shipping it back to the US
of A for repair it was accidentally pushed off of a loading dock.
We learned about how to to auto body work on a computer.

Poor SDS 920, last I heard it was still serving our country in a
nameless rural area and the technicians go out to Radio Shack to
buy transistors to repair it.

--
=Dennis L. Mumaugh
 Lisle, IL       ...!{att,lll-crg}!cuuxb!dlm  OR cuuxb!dlm@arpa.att.com

In article <6504@boulder.Colorado.EDU> cdash@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Charles Shub) writes:
>can anybody who was at Maryland in the 1965 time frame recount the
>broken 1401s, alfred e. neumann, and the board of education story?

The 1401 I can't help you with unless it is part of the following
real story:

I was at UoM from 1967-1975 so ...

The operating system was derived from the University of Michigan
and had the pecuilarity that every job required output, both
printer and punch.  This was even if the job bombed completely.
An ABEND was okay as it gave a core dump, but a bad set of cards
wouldn't result in anything, so ....  The systems people arranged
for in this circumstance to insert a computer picture of Alfred
E.  Neumann with the caption "What me worry" into the output
stream.  Also, each compilation that didn't succeed resulted in a
card placed in the punch stream with "FAILED" in block letters.

The day came when the Board of Regents toured the computer center
with its several million dollar computer.  As a Regent was
looking at the printer it just so happened that a bunch of jobs
in a row all failed, leaving the line printer printer about 20
pictures of Alfred for the Regents to view.

The FAILED cards we'd collect and paper our offices with.
--
=Dennis L. Mumaugh
 Lisle, IL       ...!{att,lll-crg}!cuuxb!dlm  OR cuuxb!dlm@arpa.att.com

federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) (02/12/89)

Well, there are two stories that the people here at work keep repeating
(i's hard for a week to pass by without you hearing at least one of
them), so I thought I may as well torture you.  Both stories are told as
"It actually happened to <some guy who no longer works here, the name
varies with the moon phase> with a customer (who nobody seems to
remember)".

  The said Honorable Customer X called to say that he couldn't read the
data he wrote to floppy disk. He could write his files OK, but when he
read them, he either had read errors or trash (this part of the story
also varies with the season). He tried with various diskettes, alway
with the same result.  This was told through the phone, and the Guy That
No Longer Works Here said we would probably be able to diagnose the
problem if the customer sent us a copy of the floppy. Two days later, he
received an envelope from the customer. It contained two photocopies of
the disk (one of the front and another of the back, since it was a
double-sided disk).

  The other story says that a customer wanted something fixed for a
particular hardware setup for which we had no docs. The problem shouldn't
be difficult to solve, but we needed the docs and the customer was
really in a hurry.  The person in charge of the thing asked the customer
if he would be willing to FAX us a certain part of the manuals. After a
moment's thought, he answered "OK, but only if you promise to FAX it
back!"

  I'm really sorry

--
		Federico Heinz     "I can resist anything but temptation"
                                        -- Oscar Wilde

jackson@adobe.COM (Curtis Jackson) (02/12/89)

Hmmmm, been reading this thread for a while now and thought I'd
contribute to the massacre (pronounced mas-uh-crE, of course  ;-)
I'll refrain (I hope) from duplicating any of the stories that have
already been related here:

A disgruntled employee at NavOCEANO (Naval Ocean Office, I believe)
across the street from me when I worked at NORDA (Naval Ocean R&D
Activity) decided to get even with the locals.  There was a large
Univac installation there, and some ultra-high-speed card readers.
He hollowed out an entire box of punch cards (about 2.5 feet of cards,
for all you youngsters) and filled them with old old old bananas.
He then submitted this deck as a job.  The operators were used to
multi-box jobs, so they usually just picked up the entire box of
cards and dumped them in the high-speed readers.  It took over 3
weeks of maintenance before the reader was working reliably again,
and the control room reeked of banana for weeks afterwards...

When crucial data on tape was lost at my university, the gurus
in the computer room would retrieve as much data as possible, then
fill in the gaps by soaking the tapes in a solution that made the
individual bits show up as 1 or 0 (dark or light) under a magnifier;
they'd then hand-assemble the missing sections from the visual inspection.

I once spent an entire night (over 12 hours) trying to get my
compiler (working up to that point) to work again so I could work
on it some more for my compilers course.  At the end, I had reduced
the problem down to a program (C code) that basically declared an
integer 'i', said "i=5", then printed 'i'.  The program printed a
floating-point number...  I was so angry I got the idiot who had been
mucking around with the C compiler from Bell Labs in the lab at
7am in Sunday morning to fix the damned thing.

Our aged PDP-10 finally died one weekend when we had an unusually
hot Sunday (there was no operator support on Sundays until 6pm)
and it turned out the fall leaves had never been cleared from the
AC vents by the university physical plant.  The temperature got
over 100 degrees F in the computer room, and the old CPU on the
10 wouldn't even whimper afterwards.

It's amazing how many of us remember the "Good Ole Days" --
didn't you hate patching paper tape?  Yeecchhh.
--

Curtis Jackson @ Adobe Systems in Mountain View, CA  (415-962-4905)
Internet: jackson@adobe.com	uucp: ...!{decwrl|sun}!adobe!jackson

meissner@tiktok.dg.com (Michael Meissner) (02/12/89)

One day about 3 years back (when I was still in Mass.), a problem was
reported with one of the AOS/VS system programs, which is fairly
routine.  The person in devlopment (which for that product was in
Mass.) asked the customer support person (which is located in Atlanta)
for a copy of the tape that demonstrated the problem.  Evidently, the
customer support person was still learning the ropes, because he/she
put the tape on an office copier, and sent up a photocopy of the tape
(rather than a magnetic copy).  We all got a laugh out of it.  To make
things even better, the OS person was able to tell from the paper
label on the tape, that not enough information was supplied, and that
we would have to ask the customer for the requisite info.

--
Michael Meissner, Data General.
Uucp:	...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!meissner

sukenick@ccnysci.UUCP (SYG) (02/12/89)

One of my firstjobs (in college) was to interface  a PDP-8 to  a spectrometer..
except that the PDP  didn't work and there was no service contract, etc.
Turning on the system revealed a strange look to the front panel lights,
which meant a blown fuse, which I changed and it blew again.
I pulled out the drawer with the bus & boards and noticed
a funny cloud above them which turned out to be some sort of fruit flies.
(that should have warned me off :-))
Pulling the boards and shaking the tray with the bus upside down
got out lots of dust,small pieces of wire,insulation and a few dead
roaches.  It worked after the cleanout........

Soon the application was written and the machine was interfaced, and the
setup was getting lots of use from people doing their experiments and
storing data.  Every once in a while though, the entire sytem would
freeze: the lights would indicate the last  instruction/address and none
of the front panel switchs would work. Powering it down and up would sometimes
work, but not always. It always happened when the computer accessed the
clock with a particular instruction. DEC,usually helpful, said "run the
diagnostic" but the diagnostic froze at that instruction intermittantly
also thus revealing no new information.

The clock was sent out for repair; they could not figure out what was wrong
except "darndess thing; same thing happens here too!".  A different clock
board also did the same thing...  I found that shaking the entire bus
would always get the thing working. It was a lot of fun when they
"call in the computer expert"; I pull out the drawer, and while they expect
some sophisticated fix, I give it a good hard shake, and gently slide it in
and start it up.  This fix would always work.
After one time, the computer started to blow boards.  It seems that someone
saw me shaking the machine to fix, and decided to do it on his own,
except he didnt power down first....(He stopped using the system after
he was caught plugging  the BNC from the photo tube power supply
(a kilovolt or two) into the PDP's counter input.(it wasnt on at the time).

(I finally discovered that the problem with the closk was powersupply:
the traces were thin and drew enough current so that chips
on top of the  board were getting 4.6 volts: (minimum needed 4.75 TTL)
Tweaking the power supply up a little to ~5.1 V solved the problem and
it's been running fine for many years now.

bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) (02/13/89)

In article <7136@pucc.Princeton.EDU>, BVAUGHAN@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Barbara Vaughan) writes:
] In article <36279@think.UUCP>, barmar@think.COM (Barry Margolin) writes:
] >In article <7129@pucc.Princeton.EDU> BVAUGHAN@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
] >>That's when I realized what nonquantitative really meant.
] >>I had to
] >>write a routine to read all keyboard input as characters.
] >>to numbers, and add a friendly message to explain what a number was.
] >
] >Even if you're not dealing with "MBA types", you should always do this
] >in any serious program.  Even people who know what the correct
] >program performed range checks, so why did you consider syntax checks
] >unnecessary until the user screwed up?
] >Thinking Machines Corp.
]
]  As I said in my original posting, this was early 1970's; most input
]  was still on punch cards.  The whole idea of "users"  other than
]  programmers was a novel one.  My program was actually pretty
]  advanced for its time.  In order to even make a syntax check, I had
]  to write a number of string-handling functions myself.  The syntax
]  checking and character-to-numeric conversions also noticeably slowed
]  down operation of the program.  It could be argued that all in
]  all it was better to let the thing bomb.  Maybe you're too young to
]  remember computing in the early 70's.

Well, how did the non-numeric field ever get past the program on the
keypunch drum card???   (-:

--
Bill Michaelson - Reply to: princeton!mccc!cosi!bill
also at... Voice 609-771-6705  CompuServe 72416,1026

deraadt@xenlink.UUCP (Theo A. DeRaadt) (02/13/89)

Anyone know the story wherein someone managed to lock the parking
brakes on a vertically mounted drum? That's the one where the drum
(supposidly) went through the wall...
Anyone know it?
 <tdr.

sukenick@ccnysci.UUCP (SYG) (02/13/89)

>[pdp-10]

The science division in CCNY had a  PDP-10 (`Dec System 10', that is :-) )
for general use.  One problem was that people were complaining that they
were logging in and all their files were gone!  The problem was simple:
what happened when they logged out previously.
To logout, the command is KILL or  K and an option.
K/I  would log you out after querying you about what to do with
each of your files.  K/F  would happily log you out fast and keep
all your files.  K/D would happily log you out and delete all your
files......the `D' key is right next to the `F' key.....

(Yipes! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C why doesnt ^C work when you need it ???? :-) )
(This nice option was eventually disabled:-))

tjr@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (thomas.j.roberts) (02/14/89)

At Purdue University, 1968-71, the Computer Center used a CDC-6500
machine, and was involved in developing a new OS for it, called MACE.
MACE was based upon CDC's OS, in large part.

Student accounts were not permitted to use the card punch, and were strictly
limited on the number of pages per job. However, some wise guy discovered
that the limits were applied AFTER each buffer was output. So, by declaring
a VERY LARGE buffer, huge amounts of paper and/or cards could be produced.
[ most of us used this to obtain cards, as this was a card-intensive
  system devoid of interactive terminals, and permanent disk space was
  not available to students. ]

Tom Roberts
att!ihnet!tjr

scj@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Scotian) (02/14/89)

Ken Bartlett, Net.Caddy writes:
|BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
|
|Gosh, guys, these are all so very funny!  Ha ha, net.humor at its
|highest form!  Boy, better watch out or Brad'll take 'em!  Hey,
|Brad, how about a book of these WONDERFULLY FUNNY stories!  They're
|such a riot!  Keep 'em coming!

Obviously Ken Bertlett here is some sort of pathetic idiot!  He obviously
doesn't know of the powers of most used command in rn: the 'k' key.
It takes all kinds, I suppose.  Perhaps Ken would like to enlighten us
with some 'appropriate' humor for rec.humor.  Maybe we should have him
moderate  it!
Scott C. Jensen
scj@mecc.MN.ORG

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (02/14/89)

In article <1259@ccnysci.UUCP> sukenick@ccnysci.UUCP (SYG) writes:
>PDP-10 (`Dec System 10', that is :-)

DEC's name changes are usually very subtle.

The PDP-10 became the DECSystem-10 gradually enough that Computer
Abstracts didn't notice, and listed both separately for some years.

More recently note the gradual transformation of the VAX-11/xxx into
the VAX xxxx.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi
                    ARPA:  bsu-cs!dhesi@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

pcosgro@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Cosgrove) (02/14/89)

In article <1065@wasatch.UUCP> cetron@wasatch.utah.edu.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) writes:
>In article <799@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
This reminds  me of a Sears washing machine my mother once had.  The agitator
was unbalanced.  It would "walk" itself away from the laundry tubs until it
unplugged itself.

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Jim Haynes) (02/14/89)

In article <15301@oberon.USC.EDU> gshippen@pollux.usc.edu (Gregory Shippen) writes:
>Way back in the stone-age of microprocessors I worked for a small company which
>made a TI9900 based machine for dentist offices.
>very light brown.  The drive was filthy.  Due to the strange shape of the
>drive, we asked the field service guy just where the drive had been.  He
>explained that the doctor who owned the office had put the entire system
>except the terminal in was described to me as "the green-house".

Randy Rorden told me about another happening of this kind at the same company,
when Greg was not there.  They got a disk drive in for repair and the filter
was clogged with fine gray abrasive dust.  He asked where it had been, and
found it had come from an office in Yakima, Wash.  At the time of the
Mt. St. Helens eruption!

BVAUGHAN@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Barbara Vaughan) (02/15/89)

>] >>I had to
>] >>write a routine to read all keyboard input as characters.
>] >>to numbers, and add a friendly message to explain what a number was.
>] >
>] >Even if you're not dealing with "MBA types", you should always do this
>] >in any serious program.
>] >
>]  This was the early 1970's... most input was still on punched cards.
>]  My program was pretty advanced for its time. (paraphrase)
>
>Well, how did the non-numeric field ever get past the program on the
>keypunch drum card???   (-:
I said  most input was still on punched cards. My task was to add a
interface to an existing FORTRAN program so that it could be run by
non-computer professionals on paleolithic terminals. If I remember
correctly, we had two types: The old noisy teletype things that printed
on what looked like a roll of bad paper towels, and the portable
TI terminals that printed on heat-sensitive paper and had a telephone
coupler. There were no screens then. I worked for a large management
consulting firm. The program I was modifying was used by local offices
throughout the U.S. People used to fill out a keypunch form and mail it
to the New York office, where we would keypunch it, run the program
and mail back the output. My user interface allowed them to dial the
New York number of a time-sharing vendor (another idea in its infancy
then), log into our account, answer the questions posed by the user
interface, and get the results typed out immediately on their paper
towel or whatever. This was considered truly revolutionary and
impressed the clients no end.
This is beside the point, but the time-sharing vendor used to print
log-on messages; at least twice a week they would have a message that
began:"Attention London users:". I was convinced that these were
phony messages to impress on their other users that they had a London
office.

jbe@cci632.UUCP ( co-op) (02/15/89)

In article <3547@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM> terryl@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM writes:
>In article <1357@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> aem@Mthvax.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
>>In <4744@sfsup.UUCP>, <saal@/doc/dsg/saalUUCP> wrote:
>>>I heard of someone that put a computer in
>>>the microwave to dry it off.  I think
>>>one of them, either the microwave or the
>>>person that did it, exploded.
>>
>>It was a poodle, not a computer.

Although these stories are legion, I saw first hand someone put a pair
of socks in the microwave at the airport to try and dry them after a
rainstorm.  Needless to say, they came out somewhat melted and black.

ob joke

(Heard at Yuk Yuks)

It is really nice to see more women getting into aviation, particularly
as pilots.  However, in the interests of equality a few things are
going to have to be renamed.  The question that is really plaguing me is,
what are we going to rename the cockpit?

My friend promptly pointed out that the ejection seat is going to be
at least as much of a problem.

bobd@ihf1.UUCP (Bob Dietrich) (02/15/89)

In the early 70's I took care of a PDP-15 for a department at the university.
It was an interesting machine: half a PDP-10 (18-bit words), faster than most
early PDP-11's, but the hardware and instruction set had a strong PDP-8
influence. It even had two different buses, one of which you could hang PDP-8
peripherals on. About 750 of them were sold.

The machine was fairly reliable (except for smoking power transistors on the
DECtape drives every month), but at one point the main power supply started
failing intermittently. Since we weren't on service contract, it was going to
take a while for DEC to come out and fix the machine. So they gave us a
procedure to follow so we could limp along in the meantime.

The fix? Go to the back of the cabinet, second door from the right. Locate an
imaginary spot about 18 inches from the floor. Now kick, but not hard enough
to dent the sheet metal. This would allow the system to run for another 15 to
30 minutes before it crashed again.

Turns out there was a mercury filled relay in the power supply. Kicking the
cabinet make things vibrate enough to make the power supply turn on again for
a while. We were glad when DEC arrived, although some people didn't get as
much satisfaction running their programs after the real fix.

Now you know why I prefer to keep my PC on the floor. ;-)

usenet:	uunet!littlei!intelhf!ihf1!bobd		Bob Dietrich
  or	tektronix!ogccse!omepd!ihf1!bobd	Intel Corp., Hillsboro, Oregon
  or	tektronix!psu-cs!omepd!ihf1!bobd	(503) 696-2092

cc1@valhalla.cs.ucla.edu (Ken, you nimrod) (02/15/89)

^>----====----====----====----====----====----====----====----====----====----
^>====----====----====----====----====----====----====----====----====----====
^I find it interesting that you seem to be the *only* person so far who has
^complained about the cross-posting.  Do you truly feel that you have the right
^to impose your value system upon the rest of the net?  Next time, please try
^reason before a tirade.

Okay, sorry.  I screwed up.

					--Ken

In article <1286@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG> scj@meccsd.mecc.mn.org (Scotian) writes:
^Ken Bartlett, Net.Caddy writes:
^|BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
^Obviously Ken Bertlett here is some sort of pathetic idiot!
                ^
Obviously.  Okay, already guys--I SCREWED UP, okay?

^Perhaps Ken would like to enlighten us
^with some 'appropriate' humor for rec.humor.

Something funny?

^Maybe we should have him
^moderate  it!

No thanks.
				--Ken

merle@felix.UUCP (Linda Merle) (02/15/89)

I am reminded of a vendor of mine at a company running Regulus (a real time
Unix that used a variant file system.  Instead of inode lists and lists of
blocks for data (or bit maps, for that matter), it used a single free list for
all blocks, inode and otherwise.).

One dreary day this fella reported that he'd gotten an fsck error that morning
in block 4 of his file system.  Fsck asked him if he wanted it "fixed".  He
said say, so it did.  It placed everything past the superblock plus one
into the free space list.

"Bummer", said I, "It's restore-time!  You shoulda said 'no' and we could
have tried to fix the damage with our ever-handy fsdb!".

But alas, he had been coding for a week and neglected to make a backup.

He called back a week later, having spent the entire week reassembling his
file system 512 by 512 block by using fsdb to relink the un-zero'ed blocks in
the free space list.  Every 20 or so the block had been re-used to contain
the free space list itself; these he lost, but for the most part, he did it.

Linda Merle

"If men are God's gift to women....
 He's really into gag gifts!"

dlm@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) (02/15/89)

In article <530@tcsc3b2.UUCP> tcsc@tcsc3b2.UUCP (The Computer Solution Co.) writes:
>There, on top of one of the trays of mail was a label with the
>converted alumni record identifier.  It read something like ...
>
>	-------------------------------
>       | 123FUCK69A4       MM  43210** |
>       | MISS INGRID BEASLEY  EDU. 29  |
>       |   ...                         |
>
>Thereafter, we were instructed to add the "DIRTY-WORD-ROUTINE"
>which performed a table lookup of every word which a committee of
>about a dozen of the raunchiest people in the department could
>come up with.

At the UoMd the computer center designed a new "fortran" compiler
that had all of the "Features" of the Univac Fortran V and all of
the features of MAD (Michigan Alogrithm Decoder).  This included
zero array subscripting, alpha-numeric labels and other goodies.

I was decided to add a routine to censor the variables one could
use.  It was called CUSS for something like Committee on
Utilization of SymbolS.  It would give a diagnostic when it
encountered the obscene symbol used and then continue as if the symbol
hadn't been defined.

One day a proferssor was using the system under demand mode
(similar to time sharing but not quite) and had typed in a
program and gotten the usual vomit from the terminal.  In
exasperation the professor (who was in immediate compile mode)
typed:

	GOTO HELL
<Warning>  HELL is not a suitable variable for use
<Fatal>    HELL is not defined.

Shortly thereafter CUSS was removed.
--

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (02/15/89)

In article <82736@felix.UUCP> merle@felix.UUCP (Linda Merle) writes:
>linda
>
>"If men are God's gift to women....
> He's really into gag gifts!"
>                  ^^^
I don't suppose you meant any double entendre of the
oral variety there.....????? :=)

--

Alix' Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)
" Axis-navigo, ergo sum."

kevinf@cognos.uucp (Kevin Ferguson) (02/16/89)

Many moons ago (1982), I was on contract as a P/A to one of those credit card
companies that shall remain nameless. I was attached to the project that was
completely rewriting the billing process. The approved implementation included
a massive number of database tables that the Credit Department would maintain
to control thier billing cycles, appearance of the statement for different
types of customers, interest charge calculation, and so on, ad nauseam.

Well, as the project trundled on toward completion, the end user became aware
of the manpower effort that would be required to initialize all of these tables.
(In retrospect, their reaction was really quite excessive.) Our illustrious
Project Manager said at the time, "No problem. We'll just promote the TestBed
environment." I'm sure that you can imagine our reaction, as the mischevious
minds of programmers tend to generate humourous testing environments.

Sure enough, despite all of the programmers and testers objections, the TestBed
environment was promoted to Production "... with those changes that are deemed
necessary by the Credit Department." Apparently, they did not catch all of the
"necessary changes" because in the first week, the Credit Department mailed
1,500 statements to delinquent customers with the Reminder Notice: "Pay up, or
we'll rape your wife."

Judging by the memo that was distributed to the MIS Department following this
debacle, the rest of the organization failed to see the humour in this.
----
"Don't Worry. Be Happy."
--
Kevin Ferguson            FAX: (613) 738-0002       S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated     Voice: (613) 738-1338 x5203         3755 Riverside Drive

rn10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ronald J. Notarius) (02/16/89)

Last year, I was invovled in the installation of a Novell Network for CMU's GSIA
Department of External Affairs -- ie, the "soak the alumni for money" people.

[GSIA:  Graduate School of Industrial Administration.  End Aside]

Their database, in an obscure language/program that I never heard of (and can't
remember) existed solely on the hard drive of the IBM Model 60 that was to
become the file server -- naturally, it was the only machine in the office with
3.5" disks (the rest were IBM XT's) and without a 5.25" port.

So, I asked to see their backup disks and original system disks before I did
anything.

Now, it seems that the company had been down a few months before, and taken the
system disks back with them.  The next time the department secretary went to
Boston for training, they gave her copies of the disks.  Or so they said.

Funny thing was that the disks were hand-lettered "MacPaint".  And it was a
bootleg copy of MacPaint!

I made two sets of backups of the database before I did anything (and
successfully re-loaded them later), but as of the last I heard, they've NEVER
gotten a copy of the program back from the company.  However, they were TOLD to
return the MacPaint disks!

(Like, how the hell can you use MacPaint on a Model 60 running PC-DOS 3.3?
Inquiring minds want to know...)

tom@iconsys.UUCP (Tom Kimpton) (02/18/89)

When we were first porting UN*X to our hardware we often had
crashes that would leave the file system in a state of disarry.
Going through the fsck routine of being asked if we wanted to
clear the file, etc got to be a hassle.  So one of the programmers
added a "-y" option to fsck that would print out yes to the
question (so you could see what was going on), automatically
clear the file in question and continue.  It was very handy.  It
cut reboot times down dramatically.  Until the first time "/"
was corrupted:
	Directory "/" corrupted, do you wish to remove? YES
	Directory "/" removed.
"-y" was removed forthwith.
--
Tom Kimpton                    UUCP: {uunet,caeco,nrc-ut}!iconsys!tom
Software Development Engineer  ARPANET: icon%byuadam.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu

dmt@ptsfa.PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (02/18/89)

This was told to me by a former supervisor (retired):

In the late 1960's, Pacific Telephone installed a new computer room on the
10th or 11th floor of a new highrise in downtown Los Angeles. The building
was one of the tallest around at that time. Its walls were all glass.

The computer had 20 or 30 tape drives and was to be used for a new system
that would run a transaction system during the day and a batch system at
night. The output from the daytime online system would feed the nighttime
batch system for master file updating. Some of the master file runs would
take hours.

Most of the testing was done during the daytime.

On the first day of production there were the usual problems and the
batch system was running behind schedule.

At dawn when the sun came up it shined through the windows on the tape
drives which immediately went into high speed rewind and unloaded the
tapes.

The sun had shined on the end-of-tape sensors which caused the tapes
to rewind.

After that one of the nightly duties of the graveyard shift supervisor
was to insure that the drapes were closed before the sun came up.

--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!dmt

dmt@ptsfa.PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (02/18/89)

Whenever we used to make major changes to our operating system or transaction
processing system we were required to repeat a prior day's business to prove
the the system was ready for production.

Until about 10 years ago, we would do this by copying all the databases and
tapes for a day and run a series of tests on Saturdays. All the production
terminal operators would be at their terminals typing exactly the same things
that they had typed on the day being repeated.

All this was very expensive and error prone. Usually the tests would cause
a crash a few minutes after they started.

On one memorable day in 1976 the test was running very smoothly.
The computer room was filled with onlookers: operations people, systems
programmers, bigshots, vendor representatives, etc.

The console operator was continuously displaying the status of the system.
One common command was to display all the jobs in the system:

	$dj 1-999

Everyone was pleased that the test was going so well until around
4 PM when all the jobs suddenly stopped running.

Concern turned to elation when the console operator confessed that he
had mistakenly typed:

	$cj 1-999

Which *cancelled* all the jobs in the system!

--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!dmt

dbell@cup.portal.com (David J Bell) (02/19/89)

In the late 60's, I was working in computer operations, babysitting/feeding
several 360/30's serving as administrative and accounting systems for a large
aerospace corp. Besides the constant jobs of loading mag tapes and emptying
and reloading printers, there were occasional paper tapes to be punched. The
high-speed :{) paper tape drive could be (mechanically) for 5,6,7, or 8-level
paper tapes, although I can't ever remember running anything but 8-level jobs.
When the mag-to-paper tape job was started, one of the operator inputs was
to answer "Is the paper tape punch set for 8-level tape?". Of course, the
answer was invariably "yes". Once in a great while, someone (on another shift,
of course! :{) ) would have left the drive set for fewer rows. Immediately
after the operator would enter "yes" the system would reply "Set the paper
tape punch for 8 levels, dummy!".

Certainly, this was a rude response; more to the point, why didn't the
idiot application programmer *TEST* the U^%$*&)( setting rather than
asking, when it was possible to check it?!?

Dave

pcosgro@ihlpl.ATT.COM (PHIL COSGROVE) (02/19/89)

In article <83525@felix.UUCP> merle@felix.UUCP (Linda Merle) writes:
 variant file system. inode lists
> free space list.
fsdb, etc.

This. . .this is a gag- - -Right?  Just a bunch of computer techno-babble
that looks right?>

Phil Cosgrove, AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL

peggy@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peggy Shambo) (02/19/89)

In article <4688@ptsfa.PacBell.COM> dmt@ptsfa.PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) writes:
>The sun had shined on the end-of-tape sensors which caused the tapes
>to rewind.
>
>After that one of the nightly duties of the graveyard shift supervisor
>was to insure that the drapes were closed before the sun came up.

Wow.  Maybe *that* explains things a little differently about the computer
center I used to work at.  Our computer room was set back from the front of
the building, but had floor-to-ceiling windowed wall that looked out onto
(or in from) what used to be a big glassed-in lobby.  At night (usually at
the start of 2nd shift) drapes were pulled inside the computer room.  Now, I
had been told that it was to prevent snipers being able to see into the
place at night.  The sun-in-the-morning story sounds more plausible, as
there were many tape drives facing towards the windowed wall, and the lobby
faced east... perfect for the sun to hit the BOT/EOT sensors.

Anyway, the daytime operators had to dressed in a more professional manner,
while the off-shift operators (when we had no corporate visitors peering
into the "fishbowl") wore just about what we felt like.

chuck@melmac.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (02/20/89)

In article <26406@cci632.UUCP> jbe@ccird1.UUCP (Jim Beveridge - co-op) writes:
>In article <3547@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM> terryl@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM writes:
>>>
>>>It was a poodle, not a computer.
>>>
>Although these stories are legion, I saw first hand someone put a pair
>of socks in the microwave at the airport to try and dry them after a
>rainstorm.  Needless to say, they came out somewhat melted and black.

     My roommate (Jeff Cox, you out there?!) at Ga Tech tried to hard boil
an egg in our microwave, and opened the door just as the egg exploded.  A
wall of atomized egg came flying out, leaving a stenciled pattern of Jeff
Cox on the wall behind him.  Absolutely hilarious.  Eggs do not like
microwaves.

Chuck Musciano
Advanced Technology Department
Harris Corporation
(407) 727-6131
ARPA: chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com

kent@swrinde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (02/21/89)

In article <7129@pucc.Princeton.EDU> BVAUGHAN@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>That's when I realized what nonquantitative really meant. Even
>though FORTRAN IV had no character string handling capability
>(You had to declare your characters as INTEGER or REAL), I had to
>write a routine to read all keyboard input as characters, convert
>to numbers, and add a friendly message to explain what a number was.

A few years back I had to write a program in Pascal with 'bullet-proof' input
routines for use by office staff with little knowledge of anything other than
wordprocessors.

Well, I thought I'd be smart & only accept allowable characters to be entered
and otherwise beep at them, so I wrote a multi-level keyboard entry routine
to which I would send a set of allowable characters for each entry.  Well,
since my documentation explained this feature, the group I wrote it for
decided to test it in their acceptance test. When I received the test report,
they noted that my input routines didn't work correctly.  Then I noticed in
the appendix, a list of the keys that they felt were in error. This list
included 'Control + M', 'Control + H', ... etc.  (They knew about the control
key from their wordprocessors).

I tried to explain to them how control sequences work, that I couldn't fix it
in software, and that it wouldn't be very desirable to change the terminals
to not generate the control sequences, and they finally relented. I really
don't think they believed me though.

Kent Polk

welty@steinmetz.ge.com (richard welty) (02/21/89)

In article <524@ihf1.UUCP> bobd@ihf1.UUCP (Bob Dietrich) writes:
>In the early 70's I took care of a PDP-15 for a department at the university.
>It was an interesting machine: half a PDP-10 (18-bit words), faster than most
>early PDP-11's, but the hardware and instruction set had a strong PDP-8
>influence.

more correctly, the pdp-15 was derived from the original series
of 18 bit machines beginning with the pdp-1, and the 12 bit pdp machines
were derived from the 18 bit machines.

richard

jbe@cci632.UUCP ( co-op) (02/21/89)

In article <1232@raspail.UUCP> bga@raspail.UUCP (Bruce Albrecht) writes:

>When Grinnell College upgraded from a PDP 11/45 to an 11/70, the DEC field
>engineer finished the installation and booted the 11/70.  It started up, and
>15 seconds later, it promptly died.  He tried it again, and it failed again.
>He called up his superior, who thought about it for a few moments, asked him
>if he had removed the loopback plugs on all the serial interface boards.  It
>seems that RSTS/E sends out a message informing the users that the system is
>on its way up, and when the message was sent, the loopback plug turned it
>into a user input, to which the system sent a message 'input ignored.',
>which also became user input ..., and the system died because it ran out of
>free buffers.

Seems that people never learn from their mistakes.  I had a version
of XENIX 286 crash for basically the same reason.  I had it hardwired
to a large UNIX system, but I booted up XENIX before I disabled the
getty on either system.  XENIX would send out "System Login: "
which UNIX would take as a username and send out "Password: " which
XENIX would take as the username, etc etc.  It took about ten seconds
for the XENIX system to come to a crashing halt.

			.. Jim ..

kraz@houxa.ATT.COM (A.KRASNA) (02/24/89)

In article <1912I78BC@CUNYVM>, I78BC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Michael Polymenakos) writes:

>   How about the young computer salesman giving some client a demonstration
> of the new electronic word-processor? He loads up a large document, and
> says: "watch this!". He hits a couple of keys, and converts every "i" in the
> document to an "a", making the text unreadable.
>
>   "And it you can change it all back, just like this" he proclaims,subsequently
> converting all "a"s back to "i", including those that had been "a"s originally.

I hate to admit it but I did the same thing when I taught people word
processing. Lucky they were so dumb I amde it seem as it I had
done it on purpose.

I don't know why I'm doing this but I just love when non tech people talk
about computers. My favorite is when the Home Shopping Club
sells PCs . THe best line. Comes with an 8 bit processing for ....
...... processing 8 bits.

--
  Allen S. Krasna attbl-ho
    (                                                                )

Erik@cup.portal.com (Erik - Dufek) (02/24/89)

While working part time at a computer store part of my job was
assembling clone PC's from the major units.  One week the store had
a special on 4.77MHz XT's.  Problem was the shipment of motherboards
hadn't arrived.  So the boss had me assemble 4.77MHz machines using
Turbo motherboards.  To cripple the turbo mode I placed a jumper on
the motherboard where the speed switch normally connected.  I wonder
if any of the customers ever found out that they could have a machine
that we were selling for $100 more just by pulling the jumper?

eriK

     erik@cup.portal.com

tjpadula@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Thomas John Padula) (02/25/89)

	I originally sent this to whoever it was who called for Computer
Folklore stories, but I'm not sure if he/she ever got it. To whit:

	My brother goes to Caltech. Awhile ago he told me of a student there
who had come up with a way to physically destroy an IBM PC from
software. This student told Big Blue about it, and they just couldn't
resist.
	They made him an offer- they would supply an IBM PC for him to
destroy in their presence. If he was successful, he would tell them how
he did it, and they'd give him a free (functioning) IBM.
	Well, the appointed day came, and so did IBM. They set up their
machine on a table and sat down to watch. The student quietly inserted a
disk and turned the machine on, then sat down. After the memory check,
the computer loaded the program from disk. The drive kept running for a
while. Soon the machine started to shake, then shake violently, and
would have walked itself off the table had the power supply not shut
down. It was quite dead and emitting that funny burnt-resistor smell.
The IBM reps checked it and declared it irreppairable.
	My brother's friend now has a nice IBM PC he uses for terminal
emulation, and support for his plants.

	This is how it worked- the program simply sped up and slowed down
the disk drive until it found the resonant frequency of the case of he
machine. The case slowly started to resonate, and soon the whole machine
would be shaking. This would cause the cards and other innards to flex,
and contacts would be made and broken, destroying chips left and right.
Eventually something would short and the power supply would go. Pretty
effective, tho it did take a while.

	Remember kids, don't try this at home. We're professionals here. :)

"I keep trying to think but nothing happens..."
tjpadula@phoenix.Princeton.EDU     Thomas J. Padula
tjpadula@winnie.Princeton.EDU      212 Foulke Hall
princeton!phoenix!tjpadula         Princeton University, NJ 08544
tjpadula@phoenix.BITNET            609-734-7411

dbell@cup.portal.com (David J Bell) (02/26/89)

From  Allen S. Krasna:

>                My favorite is when the Home Shopping Club
>sells PCs . THe best line. Comes with an 8 bit processing for ....
>...... processing 8 bits.

  Or when they were selling (at a good price, for all that) an EGA
monitor a week or so ago. Didn't define it as EGA, but by number of
colors, resolution, etc., then stated that it would work with *ANY*
PC or compatible out there - just plug and play! Had some poor
Grandma on. They'd recently bought a PC for the grandchildren, but
the little darlings didn't want black and white, so now they'll
have color. Does anyone mention *color graphics adapter card*, or
*EGA* graphics card? Hell no...

Dave

root@beep.UUCP (Local Demi-god) (02/27/89)

(a.e.mossberg) writes:
#> >>In <4744@sfsup.UUCP>, <saal@/doc/dsg/saalUUCP> wrote:

#> It is really nice to see more women getting into aviation, particularly
#> as pilots.  However, in the interests of equality a few things are
#> going to have to be renamed.  The question that is really plaguing me is,
#> what are we going to rename the cockpit?

#> My friend promptly pointed out that the ejection seat is going to be
#> at least as much of a problem.

     I would think that "joystick" would be more of a problem.

--
					The Go'z

beep!root
"No job too big; no fee too big!"  --Dr. Peter Venkman, "Ghostbusters"

sukenick@ccnysci.UUCP (SYG) (02/27/89)

>"And it you can change it all back, just like this" he proclaims,subsequently
>converting all "a"s back to "i", including those that had been "a"s originally.

What, no `undo' key?

As I tell my class, the  `u' key can be your best friend.......
(don't leave home without it!)

(This is drilled into them as everyone makes outrageous changes
on a practice file and then corrects with `u'....and then the limitation
is shown by changing all the l's to 1's, then erasing one character,
then `u' (`u' will work only for last change).

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (02/28/89)

Years ago, I did some Data General consulting out of my/my parents house.
Some memories:  There was a rev of AOS (3.something, I believe) that could
be crashed easily - just have several users hold down the tab & repeat keys.
Something about the system expanding the tabs to 8 spaces, which filled up
and overflowed the ring buffers and clobbered OS code.  Instant system panic.
Or the 12.5 mb (14" platter!) winchester disk that could become a 25mb by
moving a jumper and reformatting it.
Or the old Nova 800/1200 4k core (!) memories that could be burnt up
if you stored a 0 at address 0 and then jumped to that location (octal 0=JMP 0).
Or the story that the Nova 1200 (with a 1200ns clock time) was "invented"
to use up the warehouse(s) full of core stacks that were just a little too
slow for the Nova 800...
Or the fact that changing 5 microcode ROMs would change a Nova 4 into a
Eclipse S-140...
Or you could suck out the solder and pour in the chips and convert a 128k
16-bit Nova memory board into a 256k Eclipse 21-bit error-correcting memory
board...

Back in school we had a Burroughs 3500 (Pasadena City College).  I was
doing some "lets see what happens" programming (in Fortran) and the
instructor politely asked that I let him look at my stuff before I submitted
it (overnight batch).  You see, there was this bug that another student
found: You define a gigantic block common (3-d complex matrices will do it...)
and then zero it.  The system overflows memory to disk (Burroughs had virtual
memory loooong before IBM) and there was this bug in the max size of the
virtual file check routine....  Before this earlier student's bug was caught
they staff had to do a half a dozen system reloads/regens - from a dozen
boxes of binary punch cards!  His memory array was larger than _all_ of the
disk the system had on it, and he had zeroed all of it...

A story that a friend tells is where a classmate figured out how to set
the schools IBM 1620 system memory to all parity checks...  The system was
called the CADET, which stood for "Can't Add, Doesn't Even Try - the machine
did all it's math by table lookup (yes, that was one machine that could tell
you that 2+2=5 with a straight face - just diddle a few bits in memory).

Or the rev 1.0 of a OS that deleted the file, but forgot to mark the space
as free...  It didn't take long for a 10mb disk to shrink to < 1mb...

BTW - the Nova 4 in my dining room is for sale.  128k, 16-slot chassis,
and several peripherals, including a DECwriter III as the system printer.
Boots RDOS, multi-user basic.  Wichester disk, 8" floppy, 2400' mag tape,
dual consoles, extras.  Make offer.

US Snail:  Mike Morris                    UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
           P.O. Box 1130                  Also: WA6ILQ
           Arcadia, Ca. 91006-1130
#Include disclaimer.standard     | The opinions above probably do not even

vevea@paideia.uchicago.edu (Jack L. Vevea) (02/28/89)

In article <864@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> morris@jade.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Mike Morris) writes:
	(lots of folklore deleted)

>Or the rev 1.0 of a OS that deleted the file, but forgot to mark the space
>as free...  It didn't take long for a 10mb disk to shrink to < 1mb...

	As long as you're naming names on everything, why not give credit
here:  this one was Prime's sublime accomplishment, if I'm not mistaken.

OBJ (paraphrased from April '89 Playboy, not by permission; offensive
to lawyers):

	A lawyer was approached by the devil one day.  The Prince of
Darkness informed him that he could arrange it so that he would win _all_
of his court cases, make twice as much money, work half as hard, be
appointed to the Supreme Court by the age of 49, and live to be 90.  All
he had to do was promise the devil his soul, the soul of his wife, his
children, and the souls of all of his ancestors.
	The lawyer thought for a minute, and then responded:  "So what's
the catch?"

jeffery@ziggy.UUCP (Jeff Sheese) (03/02/89)

In article <15033@cup.portal.com> Erik@cup.portal.com (Erik - Dufek) writes:

>                 So the boss had me assemble 4.77MHz machines using
>Turbo motherboards.  To cripple the turbo mode I placed a jumper on
>the motherboard where the speed switch normally connected.  I wonder
>if any of the customers ever found out that they could have a machine
>that we were selling for $100 more just by pulling the jumper?

Almost as bad - back in 81 I worked at an Apple Dealer in Dayton, Ohio
that also sold the Qume Sprint V printer.  A modification/upgrade
to the Qume was introduced on the market, where a dealer who was not
very electrically inclined could upgrade the normal 16k buffer to
a full 64k buffer for $200.

The upgrade was to remove a series of 6 jumpers, and replace them with
a plug in dip switch.

charlie@vicorp.UUCP (Charlie Goldensher) (03/04/89)

In article <2047@tank.uchicago.edu>, vevea@paideia.uchicago.edu (Jack L. Vevea) writes:
> OBJ (paraphrased from April '89 Playboy, not by permission; offensive

I'm curious.  Is there any special reason you chose to be explicit about
the fact that you didn't get permission to copy?

I've seen similar notes in other postings.  Anyone care to comment?

I78BC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Michael Polymenakos) (03/06/89)

   This string is really getting old and seems to be fading away, but
 while cleaning my place I found the following piece of paper, and thought
 it really belongs here:

 |  <Big Letterhead, heavy bond paper>                                |
 |   BIT Software, Inc.                                               |
 |   December 14, 1987                                                |

     Michael S. Polymenakos
     ... .. ....
     Brooklyn, NY, 11210

     Dear Mr. Bryce:

     This letter is...
     : <insert pitch for a software product here>
     :

     Sincerely
|    <Signature in blue ink, you know, makes it look like this       |
|     comes from a person and not a machine..... >                   |

  I kept it on my office, a daily reminder to actually read those
things that come out of my own printer, at least once in a while,
especially before anyone else gets to read them first.

-------
|| | ||| | | || || |||
|  ||  |   |||||  ||     Michael S. Polymenakos      BC-CUNY
||| || | || || | ||| |

belld@vax1.tcd.ie (03/08/89)

		I remember hearing that an early version of the Commodore
Pet would catch fire if certain addresses had certain contents. Something
about the clock being forced to run at too high a speed. (Can anyone confirm/
deny this?)
--
	Derek Bell
*************************

dbstmars@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Dan St.Mars) (03/10/89)

In article <36549@vax1.tcd.ie> belld@vax1.tcd.ie writes:

>		I remember hearing that an early version of the Commodore
>Pet would catch fire if certain addresses had certain contents. Something
>about the clock being forced to run at too high a speed. (Can anyone confirm/
>deny this?)
>--
I wouldn't be too surprised.  In school we used to fire in a few POKEs that
make the screen shake along with a high pitched squeel.  We usually got
dumped on for it (with good reason :-) ).

Dan St.Mars               University Of Waterloo          dbstmars@dahlia.
Applied Math            Waterloo, Ontario,  Canada            waterloo.edu

pt@geovision.uucp (Paul Tomblin) (03/14/89)

In article <36549@vax1.tcd.ie> belld@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>		I remember hearing that an early version of the Commodore
>Pet would catch fire if certain addresses had certain contents. Something
>about the clock being forced to run at too high a speed. (Can anyone confirm/
>deny this?)

It's true, the Fat40 (4032) would do this.  It was called the Killer Poke.
Anyone with money to burn could try this one to amaze thier friends :-)
Especially after telling them that there's no way to hurt a computer
from the keyboard.

For full points, any body remember the value?
The only one I remember from my Fat40 days was the basic instruction WAIT,
which was supposed to wait until a memory location reached a certain value
(for monitoring memory mapped i/o or ISRs).  If you typed WAIT 6502,n
it would respond "MICROSOFT!" n times.  This is evidently a way to protect
your stuff against piracy.  If somebody claimed they just mimiced your
program without copying it, you could use the undocumented quirks as evidence.
There was a word process for the Pet that would play Pomp and Circumstance if
you held down a certain 3 keys!  Very useful for a word processor, but I'd
rather have a Page Preview mode. :-)

--
Paul Tomblin,  Second Officer, Golgafrinchan B Ark      | Canada's Acid Lakes:
    UUCP:   nrcaer!cognos!geovision!pt ??               | 150,000 Points of

Zap@cup.portal.com (Tim Philip Cadell) (03/19/89)

>	My brother goes to Caltech. Awhile ago he told me of a student there
>who had come up with a way to physically destroy an IBM PC from
>software. This student told Big Blue about it, and they just couldn't
>resist.

Wayne says: (I don't take anything that Wayne says seriously)
I'm not sure about this one but the TRS-80 Model II computer from Radio Shack
had a problem that I was told about.  Never tried it (I own one but _I'm_ not
going to try it!) but supposedly if you turned off the video (control bit
on one of the ports), the power supply started building potential and a
freaking big capacitor blew apart.  Supposedly it happened one day at a
Radio Shack repair shop and the top of the cap buried itself in a cinderblock
wall.

Zap Savage
Savage Research
"Making Tomorrow's Mistakes Today"

P.S. Wayne also says (as an example of why we don't believe him) that there
	is a basketball court at the top of the Matterhorn at Disneyland.

srt@aero.ARPA (Scott "CBS" Turner) (03/22/89)

In article <15964@cup.portal.com> Zap@cup.portal.com (Tim Philip Cadell) writes:
>P.S. Wayne also says (as an example of why we don't believe him) that there
>	is a basketball court at the top of the Matterhorn at Disneyland.

I wouldn't call it a full-sized court, but there is indeed a
basketball rim and backboard in a maintenance room at the top of the
Matterhorn.  It was originally put up (in 1978) as part of an
elaborate pun that you can no doubt figure out yourself (Matterhorn,
"hoops", get it?) but turned out to be so much fun that it hung around
until at least 1984.  Not having worked at the 'Land in a while, I can't
say if it is still there or not.

							-- Scott