[net.works] A mouse with a five-speed transmission?

Henry%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA (11/02/83)

From:  Henry Lieberman <Henry%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>

I kid you not.

I recently had a demo of CMU's son-of-Zog system on the
Perq.  One thing that was impressive about it was the mouse interaction.
They had adjusted their mouse software so that the distance the
cursor moved in response to a unit distance movement of the mouse
varied with the speed of the mouse movement. If you tried to move the mouse
rapidly, it moved faster, good for getting the mouse across large screen distances
quickly. If you moved it slowly, it moved more slowly, good for fine positioning.
They used five different speeds. It made the mouse feel a lot more responsive.
How 'bout the same thing for the Lisp machines, folks?

Moon%SCRC-TENEX@sri-unix.UUCP (11/02/83)

From:  "David A. Moon" <Moon at SCRC-TENEX>

    Date: Tuesday, 1 November 1983, 22:43-EST
    From: Henry Lieberman <Henry at MIT-OZ>
    I kid you not.

    I recently had a demo of CMU's son-of-Zog system on the
    Perq.  One thing that was impressive about it was the mouse interaction.
    They had adjusted their mouse software so that the distance the
    cursor moved in response to a unit distance movement of the mouse
    varied with the speed of the mouse movement. If you tried to move the mouse
    rapidly, it moved faster, good for getting the mouse across large screen distances
    quickly. If you moved it slowly, it moved more slowly, good for fine positioning.
    They used five different speeds. It made the mouse feel a lot more responsive.
    How 'bout the same thing for the Lisp machines, folks?

This has existed on the CADR (LM-2) for many years.  Not on the 3600 yet,
unfortunately.  Probably it never got documented.  Example code that uses it
(found in my init file):

(DEFUN HAWLEY-MOUSE-HACK ()
  (MOUSE-SPEED-HACK 1 120 2))

;Aids to trying speed-dependent scaling
;Specs are scale-factor speed-break
;No attempt to treat X and Y differently
;Args of (1 120 2) seem to be about right for the Hawley mouse (10-second experiment)
(DEFUN MOUSE-SPEED-HACK (&REST SPECS)
  (LOOP FOR (SCALE SPEED) ON SPECS BY 'CDDR
	FOR I FROM 0 BY 2
	DO (ASET (OR SPEED 37777777) TV:MOUSE-X-SCALE-ARRAY I)
	   (ASET (OR SPEED 37777777) TV:MOUSE-Y-SCALE-ARRAY I)
	   (ASET (// (FIX (* 2 SCALE 1024.)) 3) TV:MOUSE-X-SCALE-ARRAY (1+ I))
	   (ASET (// (FIX (* 3 SCALE 1024.)) 5) TV:MOUSE-Y-SCALE-ARRAY (1+ I))))

rom%SCRC-VIXEN@sri-unix.UUCP (11/02/83)

From:  "Robert O. Mathews" <rom at SCRC-VIXEN>

    Date: Tuesday, 1 November 1983, 23:58-EST
    From: "David A. Moon" <Moon at SCRC-TENEX>
	Date: Tuesday, 1 November 1983, 22:43-EST
	From: Henry Lieberman <Henry at MIT-OZ>

	They had adjusted their mouse software so that the distance the
	cursor moved in response to a unit distance movement of the mouse
	varied with the speed of the mouse movement.

    This has existed on the CADR (LM-2) for many years.  Not on the 3600 yet,
    unfortunately.  Probably it never got documented.

This will be documented in the Release 5.0 Release Notes.

RWK%SCRC-YUKON@sri-unix.UUCP (11/08/83)

This message is empty.