[misc.jobs.misc] poking in other people's code

nerd@percival.pdx.com (Michael Galassi) (07/14/87)

I'v changed the subject, cross-posted to misc.jobs.misc, and directed
folow-ups there as it seems like a more likely forum for this (I do
read that group and am interested in this discusion if it takes off).

In article <17480@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <4668@grebyn.COM> karl@grebyn.COM (Karl A. Nyberg) writes:
>>Last
>>company I worked for was that way - if you spotted a problem and recommended
>>a solution, you were responsible for implementing it.

>Oh, what a clever way to discourage people from making helpful comments.

If someone is poking around in code relating to a project other than their
own, some interest in there and may as well be taken advantage of.  Besides,
if you have come up with a solution why have someone else go through the
process of re-inventing it?  Implementation is NEVER a large part of a well
thought out peice of code.

I don't know about AMD, but where I work we are all interested in promoting
the company's best interest, this may have something to do with the fact
that we all get healthy profit shares when things go well, perhaps it is
just the unity one feels when working for a SMALL (~ 40 employes) company.

-michael
--
If my employer knew my opinions he would probably look for another engineer.

	Michael Galassi, Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR
		tektronix!reed!percival!nerd