[misc.jobs.misc] Salaries of Business Ph.D.'s

marshek@ut-ngp.UUCP (11/03/87)

Ladies & Gentlemen,
I would like to know the average starting salary of a business
Ph.D. with a BS and MS in engineering. I need the salaries
both in the industry and academia. Also, how are the job prospects
for this degree. Is it better than those for a Ph.D. in Engineering
in terms of money, flexibility of work etc. etc......
Thanx,
MAt Johns

BOB_PROF_LAKE@cup.portal.com (11/07/87)

>Ladies & Gentlemen,
>I would like to know the average starting salary of a business
>Ph.D. with a BS and MS in engineering. I need the salaries
>both in the industry and academia. Also, how are the job prospects
>for this degree. Is it better than those for a Ph.D. in Engineering
>in terms of money, flexibility of work etc. etc......
>Thanx,
>MAt Johns

The Ph.D. in Business requires a major; will it be a marketing major?
accounting? finance?  The starting salaries in academe vary by
discipline.  In general, I think you would find that the average
9-month (academic year) salary in most disciplines start at about
$40,000.  I don't think the BS and MS in Engineering are too important
in determining the salary for teaching in most Business Schools.

I'm not knowledgeable about the pay in Engineering, nor the working
conditions, etc., so I can't comment on that part of your post.

|           Robert C. Lake             |     VOICE: (205) 271-9581 (Work)     |
|         School of Business           |     VOICE: (205) 279-8185 (Home)     |
|   Auburn University at Montgomery    |           CIS: [71216,560]           |
|        Montgomery, AL 36116          |      "Viva la papillon Venus!"       |
|                             rcl@cup.portal.com                              |
|     {ucbvax,decwrl,decvax,seismo,hplabs}!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!rcl      |
|       Opinions expressed above are solely my own -- not my employer's       |

marshek@ut-ngp.UUCP (MAt) (11/10/87)

In article <1330@cup.portal.com>, BOB_PROF_LAKE@cup.portal.com writes:
> The Ph.D. in Business requires a major; will it be a marketing major?
> accounting? finance?  The starting salaries in academe vary by
> discipline.  In general, I think you would find that the average
> 9-month (academic year) salary in most disciplines start at about
> $40,000.  I don't think the BS and MS in Engineering are too important
> in determining the salary for teaching in most Business Schools.
>
> I'm not knowledgeable about the pay in Engineering, nor the working
> conditions, etc., so I can't comment on that part of your post.

Thanx for the response. My question was for Ph.D. in Operations Manage-
ment and MIS. What are the salaries for these people in the industy and
academia ? What are the future job prospects in industry and academia,
(say 3-4 years from now) ?
Further, in the industry, what type of companies hire these people and
how are the projected job prospects in the industry as compared with
universities ? Further, which are the *HOT* areas of specialization
in OM and MIS ?
Thanx again and I appreciate your response.