[misc.jobs.misc] American Programmer

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (04/02/88)

Just to add another aspect to the discussion of education vs. real world
experience, the following ad appears in the positions offered section of
the Communications of the ACM, March 1988, page A-36 (spelling, grammar
and punctuation are theirs, elipses are mine):

                         INDUSTRIAL POSTIONS FOR
			 COMPUTER PROFESSIONALS

		  Positions nationally.  Fees paid by em-
		  ployers.  U.S. citizens or permanent res-
		  idents.  PhD or minimum three years,          <== Note
		  experience.  Call or write ... [etc.]

Of course, that's just one recruiter's opinion.  Makes you wonder, though.
My experience has been that CS degrees and CS competence are not closely
related.

I agree with the need to bring more of the real world into the class room.
I've had to clean up too many messes that would probably have received a
passing grade because they worked (until a boundary condition, or
something else unexpected, tripped them up).

I'm cross-posting to misc.jobs.misc because the degree question often
comes up there.  Please edit the Newsgroups line appropriately before
following up.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@TTI.COM)   Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                           Carborundum

shebs%defun.utah.edu.uucp@utah-cs.UUCP (Stanley T. Shebs) (04/03/88)

In article <2218@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidcb.tti.com (The Polymath) writes:

>		  Positions nationally.  Fees paid by em-
>		  ployers.  U.S. citizens or permanent res-
>		  idents.  PhD or minimum three years,          <== Note
>		  experience.  Call or write ... [etc.]
>
>Of course, that's just one recruiter's opinion.  Makes you wonder, though.

Based on my recent experience in jobhunting, equating a PhD with however
many years it took you to get it is quite common.  Based on observation of
PhDs in industry, if you take a job where they think that way, you will
deserve whatever you get, which generally means almost zero creative work.
The main use of your degree will be to pad proposals ("we're going to have
45 PhD researchers working on this project, if you give us the bucks").
Personally, I've sweated over my PhD too much to have it counted the same
as warming a chair for five years.

>My experience has been that CS degrees and CS competence are not closely
>related.

s/CS//g - this isn't some special defect of CS degrees.  A while back I read
some flame in an IEEE rag about how EE grads don't know the right things, and
my dad the non-degreed (not even BS) research chemist has told some amusing
stories about the ignorance of new chemistry PhDs.  A degree is more like
some minimum requirement than a glowing recommendation.  If you can't manage
to get a BS these days, you've got to be really defective somehow, like maybe
you can't tear yourself away from a terminal long enough to find out that
bubble sorts aren't the only choice!  (flames launched, sir - tracking...)

							stan shebs
							shebs@cs.utah.edu

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (04/04/88)

In article <5388@utah-cs.UUCP> shebs%defun.utah.edu.UUCP@utah-cs.UUCP (Stanley T. Shebs) writes:
>In article <2218@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidcb.tti.com (The Polymath) writes:

		  Positions nationally.  Fees paid by em-
		  ployers.  U.S. citizens or permanent res-
		  idents.  PhD or minimum three years,          <== Note
		  experience.  Call or write ... [etc.]

This is clearly a typo -- it should read "PhD and three years experience
or no PhD".  :-)

Are the graves of dreams allowed to die.
	Richard Harter, SMDS  Inc.

stank@orca.TEK.COM (Stan Kalinowski) (04/04/88)

In article <5388@utah-cs.UUCP> shebs%defun.utah.edu.UUCP@utah-cs.UUCP (Stanley T. Shebs) writes:

>Based on my recent experience in jobhunting, equating a PhD with however
>many years it took you to get it is quite common.

I think industry equates the time to earn a degree with equivilent
time in the field because it is looking for results.  Having a PhD
does not necessarily guarantee results, having a good track record of
results usually does.  Industry tends to lay blame on our educational
system.  The hiring policy makers say that PhD's with no industry
experience have difficulty making the transition from theoretical
science to applied science and that PhD's don't know how to translate
ideas into dollars.  The following observation might illustrate what
I'm getting at:

A couple of years ago I read an article in the Sunday New York Times
that said PhD's in Artificial Intelligence graduating from a leading
school could earn something like $70,000.  The article said that the
starting salary was so inflated because of high demand for, and a
small supply of Ai PhD's.  I take this to mean that industry has spent
a great deal of money on developing AI expertise.  So far, I haven't
heard of any companies reaping an acceptable gain on their investment
in AI technology.  AI has been applied mostly to internal systems
development having only limited cost saving value.  The few comercial
products that use AI technology have met with only limited success.
Perhaps it's too soon to tell, but it seems that in these days of
"quick buck" business investment the AI PhD's have not been able to
convert their knowledge into bottom line bucks.

Who's to blame?  Industry says that the fault lies with the
educational system for not teachiing students how to apply technology
profitably.  Educational institutions blame industry for not providing
enough financial support for education, for not fostering creative
application of ideas, and for expecting too much from technology.

The only conclusion I can make from all this is: IF WE DON'T CHANGE
THE WAY WE ARE DEVELOPING AND MARKETING TECHNOLOGY WE WILL ALL LOSE!

<< DISCLAIMER >>

The above opinions are my own, and are not necessarily representative
of the company I work for (Tektronix).  Please don't FLAME me if you
diasgree with my analysis.  I have merely stated my current opinion
and I am open to calm, open-minded, discussion of these issues.  I can
even be persuaded to change my opinions when given a resonable counter
argument.
--
US Mail: Stan Kalinowski, Tektronix, Inc.
         Information Display Group, Graphics Workstations Division

jmm@thoth20.berkeley.edu (04/04/88)

(Disclaimer:  I'm not any variety of engineering major, nor have I much
experience in the world of business.)

I always thought that universities were supposed to teach theory more than
practice.  There are going to be lots of different types of systems out there
in the 'real world,' and if your educational background only prepares you
to use one of them then it doesn't do you much good.  If your education
teaches you the general way that systems are built, why they're built that
way, and leads you to think about new ways they could be designed,
then your chosen place
of employment can teach you the specific way it's implemented.

Universities should not be expected to teach people the uses of any particular
set of tools.  That's what vocational schools are for.

/ James Moore		/    	|  jmm@bartleby.berkeley.edu
/ 			/	|--------------------------------------------|
/ Ma ta Gaeilge agut,	/	|   Nil aon speis ag Ollscoile na	     |
/ scriobh i!		/	|   California im bharulacha fein.           |

shebs%defun.utah.edu.uucp@utah-cs.UUCP (Stanley T. Shebs) (04/04/88)

In article <2524@orca.TEK.COM> stank@orca.UUCP (Stan Kalinowski) writes:

>I think industry equates the time to earn a degree with equivilent
>time in the field because it is looking for results.  Having a PhD
>does not necessarily guarantee results, having a good track record of
>results usually does.  Industry tends to lay blame on our educational
>system.  The hiring policy makers say that PhD's with no industry
>experience have difficulty making the transition from theoretical
>science to applied science and that PhD's don't know how to translate
>ideas into dollars.

What's the definition of "results"?  Published papers or software profits?

There are at least two assumptions here: one, that PhDs do "theoretical
science", and that a PhD is necessary to do "applied science".  Of course,
people have differing ideas of theoretical vs practical - I've been
accused of being "too theoretical" and "too practical" at the same time
(but, fortunately, not by the same person :-) ).  As I said previously,
there is a habit of companies specifying "PhD" when they really want a
good person with a master's.  So let me ask this: does anybody actually
know why companies specify PhDs when they have no intention of letting
the employees do either basic or applied research?  Or is it that the
definition of "applied research" covers anything more creative than buying
a commercial software package?

>The only conclusion I can make from all this is: IF WE DON'T CHANGE
>THE WAY WE ARE DEVELOPING AND MARKETING TECHNOLOGY WE WILL ALL LOSE!

I don't understand who is going to lose what.  Technology transfer is
already incredibly efficient, so much so that many senior people in the
field worry about loss of academic freedom because of companies insisting
on funding only short-term work with clearly-defined goals.

							stan shebs
							shebs@cs.utah.edu

ee4011ab@ariel.unm.edu (Mark P. Martin) (04/05/88)

In article <8295@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> jmm@thoth20.berkeley.edu.UUCP () writes:
>I always thought that universities were supposed to teach theory more than
>practice.

They do, greatly in  error and to the disadvantage of the student.  Employers
are not looking for people with extroardinary skills in practicing theory,
but for people with extensive experience in a multitude of systems,
languages, and environments.  NO, strike that!  They are looking for
experience on *their particular system*.  Presumeably, this experience has
been acquired elsewhere, as the employer finds it economically advantageous
to hire capable people, rather than train new people.

Some college programs seem to be realizing the fallacy of teaching extensive
theory with no practical application, but in general the effort put forth
is not effective.  Consider the course in which the senior project is to
develop and market a large software project:  the primary objective in the
course was to satisfy the instructor's emotional need for the use of
non-sexist pronouns.  :-)  The secondary objective was to produce appealing
packaging (never mind what went in) for the project.  With so much emphasis
on satisfying the instructors requirements, the true needs of the paying
client were seen as "soft requirements."  Not that packageing and user
interface are unimportant, but I believe that employers looking for engineers
would be more interested in academic work writing UNIX device drivers than
poetic prose with little technical content.

>Universities should not be expected to teach people the uses of any particular >set of tools.  That's what vocational schools are for.

I have yet to hear about a vocational school that teaches all the aspects
of the internal design, programming and operation of computers, and still
maintains a quality reputation.  Vocational schools are not recognizeable
degree granting institutions in such fields as engineering.  And
engineering is more ability to apply knowledge than the straightforward use
of tools and techniques.  The word "engineer" derives from "engenious man"
(no sexism flames please, I have a reference).

|  "People can be divided into three categories: |   Mark P. Martin           |
|  Those who make things happen,                 |   B.S.Comp.E - UNM         |
|  Those who watch things happen...              |   ee4011ab@ariel.unm.edu   |
|  and those who wonder what happened."          |                            |

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (04/05/88)

> In article <2218@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidcb.tti.com (The Polymath) writes:
>
> >		  Positions nationally.  Fees paid by em-
> >		  ployers.  U.S. citizens or permanent res-
> >		  idents.  PhD or minimum three years,          <== Note
> >		  experience.  Call or write ... [etc.]
> >
> >Of course, that's just one recruiter's opinion.  Makes you wonder, though.
>
> Based on my recent experience in jobhunting, equating a PhD with however
> many years it took you to get it is quite common.  Based on observation of

I can remember some years back seeing an ad in the LA Times that said,
"Minimum five years experience.  Will consider two years graduate work
equivalent to six months paid experience."  And from my own days as a
headhunter, a quote from a woman who was data processing manager for a
major cosmetics manufacturer, "Don't send me anyone with a M.S.  They
don't know how to DO anything."

Clayton E. Cramer

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (04/06/88)

Graduate degrees can be very valuable.  Sometimes they're worthless.  It
all depends on the position.  A research lab or university may require a
PhD for certain positions, perhaps under the assumption that the
education you received will add to your performance.  Hacker houses may
not care if you have any degree.

It's up to you to choose a job that matches your career goals.  You may
also want to consider a degree that matches.

Ken
--
New simplified tax form:
	Line 1:  how much money did you make?

al@gtx.com (0732) (04/07/88)

In article <2000@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
->
->I can remember some years back seeing an ad in the LA Times that said,
->"Minimum five years experience.  Will consider two years graduate work
->equivalent to six months paid experience."  And from my own days as a
->headhunter, a quote from a woman who was data processing manager for a
->major cosmetics manufacturer, "Don't send me anyone with a M.S.  They
->don't know how to DO anything."
->

One of the reasons for getting an advanced degree is so you don't have to
work in the data processing division of a large cosmetics manufacturer.

 ( Alan Filipski, GTX Corp, 8836 N. 23rd Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85021, USA )
 ( {ihnp4,cbosgd,decvax,hplabs,amdahl,nsc}!sun!sunburn!gtx!al  (602)870-1696 )

doug@edson.UUCP (Doug Konrad) (04/08/88)

In article <2705@charon.unm.edu>, ee4011ab@ariel.unm.edu (Mark P. Martin) writes:
> In article <8295@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> jmm@thoth20.berkeley.edu.UUCP () writes:
> >I always thought that universities were supposed to teach theory more than
> >practice.
>
> They do, greatly in  error and to the disadvantage of the student.  Employers

Compare this statement with the ones below.

> are not looking for people with extroardinary skills in practicing theory,
> but for people with extensive experience in a multitude of systems,
> languages, and environments.  NO, strike that!  They are looking for
> experience on *their particular system*.  Presumeably, this experience has
> been acquired elsewhere, as the employer finds it economically advantageous
> to hire capable people, rather than train new people.

In other words, employers want people with skills in the straightforward use
of tools and techniques.

> I have yet to hear about a vocational school that teaches all the aspects
> of the internal design, programming and operation of computers, and still
> maintains a quality reputation.

There is a reason for that. Such is the domain of an institution which
teaches theory. If you try to design something, and don't understand the
underlying theory governing that something, you aren't an engineer, you're
a parrot.

>                                  Vocational schools are not recognizeable
> degree granting institutions in such fields as engineering.  And
> engineering is more ability to apply knowledge than the straightforward use
> of tools and techniques.  The word "engineer" derives from "engenious man"
> (no sexism flames please, I have a reference).

Here you come around and agree with me. (How can we have a good argument if
you insist on agreeing with me?) However, this wasn't what you said in your
first paragraph.

I am reminded of the statement of a character from the TV program "Paper
Chase". The show centred around a law school. "You will teach yourselves the
law. I will teach you how to think." A bit pretentious, but it captures the
role of a university. When I had finished my undergraduate degree, I had
learnt how to design microprocessor hardware, and how to think like an
engineer. The latter made a lot more money for my employer than the former.
Even if he didn't think so.

By the way, I am taking a broad view of theory. I mean much more than those
interminable classroom lectures on quicksort. For software engineering, it
includes examination of large systems. And it includes looking at challenges
where the theory is incomplete.

Doug

pepper@dasys1.UUCP (Angelique Wahlstedt) (04/08/88)

In article <8295@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> jmm@thoth20.berkeley.edu.UUCP () writes:
>I always thought that universities were supposed to teach theory more than
>practice.  There are going to be lots of different types of systems out there
>in the 'real world,' and if your educational background only prepares you
>to use one of them then it doesn't do you much good.  If your education
>teaches you the general way that systems are built, why they're built that
>way, and leads you to think about new ways they could be designed,
>then your chosen place
>of employment can teach you the specific way it's implemented.
>
>Universities should not be expected to teach people the uses of any particular
>set of tools.  That's what vocational schools are for.

Good point!

HOWEVER, sometimes I feel that half the stuff that computer science
programs in many schools teach is pretty irrelevant to the Real World.
For example, at Colorado State University, I'm taking CS-201 (Discrete
Structures) (simply cuz CSU told me to. :-) that covers all sorts of
things from binary trees to boolean algebra. Some of those, obviously,
have uses in the Real World, such as binary search trees. But, to this
day, I still can't figure out what applications some of the other things,
such as monoids and isomorphisms (if you don't know what they are, don't
ask ME :-) have in the real world. I'm also taking Symbolic Computing
(LISP and Prolog) which is fun, but I doubt that most of us in the class
would ever use either language in the Real World.

Some of the courses that I think should be required in college are Software
Engineering and Technical Writing (some colleges such as Rochester Institute
of Technology already require this). Another possibility could be Database
Concepts since so many jobs seem to involve databases.

--
Angeli "Ms. Pepper" Wahlstedt

UUCP: wahlsted@handel.colostate.edu  - or -  ...!hao!handel!wahlsted
      ...!dasys1!pepper (Big Electric Cat)

ee4011ab@ariel.unm.edu (Mark P. Martin) (04/08/88)

In article <121@edson.UUCP> doug@edson.UUCP (Doug Konrad) writes:
>In article <2705@charon.unm.edu>, ee4011ab@ariel.unm.edu (Mark P. Martin) writes:
>> In article <8295@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> jmm@thoth20.berkeley.edu.UUCP () writes:
>> >I always thought that universities were supposed to teach theory more than
>> >practice.

	... deleted ...
>> engineering is more ability to apply knowledge than the straightforward use
>> of tools and techniques.  The word "engineer" derives from "engenious man"
>> (no sexism flames please, I have a reference).
>
>Here you come around and agree with me. (How can we have a good argument if
>you insist on agreeing with me?) However, this wasn't what you said in your
>first paragraph.

My original intention was in saying that there should be practical
application to accompany the teaching of theory, otherwise the theory will
have only academic value.  My earlier statements probably reflect my
somewhat jaded view if the neanderthal nature of our national job getting
system.  I have been scanning the ads searching for languages, systems and
other acronyms which match my background.  This is to say that what
employers appear to be looking for is not always the same as what they
need, and not even the same as what they will get.  And now I find at least one
individual who holds dear the same values I do which make engineering
valuable as a profession -- the desire and ability to solve problems.  I
thank you for bringing to light my ineffective presentation of our
profession.  Perhaps the lacking of this understanding in the universities
and job places indicates a vacancy which either one of us could somehow
correct, or at least use to advantage in seeking employment.

|  "People can be divided into three categories: |   Mark P. Martin           |
|  Those who make things happen,                 |   B.S.Comp.E - UNM         |
|  Those who watch things happen...              |   ee4011ab@ariel.unm.edu   |
|  and those who wonder what happened."          |                            |

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (04/09/88)

I don't have a Ph.D. in windowing graphics;  in fact I don't have a Ph.D.
at all.  Ph.D. or not, I simply don't have the background to design a
major windowing system like X-Windows.  If I wanted to do so, I'd have
to hire somebody who *did* know, like perhaps a recent MIT Ph.D. grad.

On the other hand, those same friendly X-Windows folks recently released a
faster version of "make depend".  Only one teeny problem:  if you don't
have sources to cpp, the expression-evaluation routine (the one that handles
'#if <expression>' statements) reads, in its entirety:

	return (TRUE);

As has been said before, I'd rather have correct code than fast wrong code,
thanks anyway.

The moral:  if you have a "research-y" problem, get somebody with a
research background.  If you want professional code, though, hire
somebody with professional experience;  Ph.D. or not as appropriate.  The
average new Ph.D. graduate is a beginning programmer by professional
standards, just like the average new Bachelor's/Master's graduate.

(P.S.  Please don't get your hackles up, Bob;  it's just one of many
examples I could cite from many sources.  And yes, you'll be getting a
bug report on it.)
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   {uunet,trwrb}!desint!geoff

peking@sfsup.UUCP (L.Perkins) (04/11/88)

In article <3763@dasys1.UUCP> pepper@dasys1.UUCP (Angelique Wahlstedt) writes:
>Some of the courses that I think should be required in college are Software
>Engineering and Technical Writing (some colleges such as Rochester Institute
>
>--

Yes, Yes, Yes.
However, the real world has great difficulty communicating the
necessity for good writing to faculty in Computer Science departments.
While employed at a company whose managerial problems (including LACK
of documentation of its products) was sending it down the drain, I was
simultaneously taking courses from two different instructors, both with
backgrounds in government and military systems, who said, in effect, that
documentation was unimportant and merely something that junior people
would have to put up with. Implication: as briefly as possible. Yet both
individuals were members of professional associations that identified
bad documentation as a key factor in the failure of HW and SW products
"making it" in the marketplace.

attunix!peking 		    "The few, the proud, the red-haired"

gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (04/12/88)

}->
}
}One of the reasons for getting an advanced degree is so you don't have to
}work in the data processing division of a large cosmetics manufacturer.

Yeah, but people -- even PhD's -- want the money, and business is where
most of it is, because that's where most of it comes from.  I think this
series of postings is fundamentally about whether advanced degrees are
worth their high cost.  The answer being given seems obvious.

gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (04/13/88)

In article <3042@sfsup.UUCP> peking@/doc/dmg/pekingUUCP (xt1124-AUG881-L.Perkins) writes:
>In article <3763@dasys1.UUCP> pepper@dasys1.UUCP (Angelique Wahlstedt) writes:
>>Some of the courses that I think should be required in college are Software
>>Engineering and Technical Writing (some colleges such as Rochester Institute
>>
>Yes, Yes, Yes.
>However, the real world has great difficulty communicating the
>necessity for good writing to faculty in Computer Science departments.

One of the reasons it has this difficulty is that the said Real
World won't pay for documentation or the associated skills.

Suppose you can both write well and program well: if you go where the
money is, you'll never have anything to do with documentation.

(In saying "Real World" I assume you speak about "business"; I don't
know what the story is in academia, government, or other areas, but
I'll bet it's the same.)