[misc.jobs.misc] Master's programs in Software Engineering

billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe,2847,) (02/09/89)

From article <6593@thorin.cs.unc.edu>, by coggins@coggins.cs.unc.edu (Dr. James Coggins):
> There is a good case to be made that Software Engineering is not an
> appropriate baccalaureate field of study and that the professional
> M.S. as you described Wang Institute's M.S.E (R.I.P.) is the only
> reasonable way to go.

   Even assuming this, why are there so few Master's programs in Software
   Engineering?  The numbers seem to be DIMINISHING (e.g., our old friend
   the Wang Institute); there are really damn few choices available to
   those who want such a professional degree program.  Many places will
   happily prepare you to be a CS researcher, but few will give you
   the opportunity to pursue a degree in software engineering.

brucer@drutx.ATT.COM (RobinsonB) (02/10/89)

In article <4350@hubcap.UUCP>, billwolf@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe,2847,) writes:
> From article <6593@thorin.cs.unc.edu>, by coggins@coggins.cs.unc.edu (Dr. James Coggins):
> > There is a good case to be made that Software Engineering is not an
> > appropriate baccalaureate field of study and that the professional
> > M.S. as you described Wang Institute's M.S.E (R.I.P.) is the only
> > reasonable way to go.
>
>    Even assuming this, why are there so few Master's programs in Software
>    Engineering?  The numbers seem to be DIMINISHING (e.g., our old friend
>    the Wang Institute); there are really damn few choices available to
>    those who want such a professional degree program.  Many places will
>    happily prepare you to be a CS researcher, but few will give you
>    the opportunity to pursue a degree in software engineering.

The following is a *small* sample (taken in 1985)
of software consultants' years of education,
years of work experience, and billing rates.

If you run a regression on the sum the years education
and work experience against billing rates, there appears
to be a fair correlation, indicating (perhaps)
that working years are as valuable$$$ as school years
in the long run (at least to consultants).  I know this
is a painfully iconoclastic notion.  Perhaps institutions
don't offer MSE's because people don't see the practical$$$
need.

This sample obviously doesn't include *employees* making
a lot of money, or highly degreed software engineers
who go on to become equally highly paid executives.

Does anyone else have any numbers to augment this sample;
particularly interesting would be employee data.

2	5	45.13
4	6	45.13
4	4	42.00
4	3	42.00