[sci.philosophy.tech] Anthropic Principles

rjf@eagle.UUCP (05/21/87)

In article <1181@bath63.ux63.bath.ac.uk> cc_dgdc@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Clark) writes:

>You didnt really believe that Horizon BBC2 TV program about the
>Four Anthropic (if thats how you spell it) Principles did you?
>It said that the Universe was specially designed in order that
>little man could come along and observe it to make it all real.
>That we are the point of the Universe. Send for Nikolaus Copernicus
>please.

Wha' d'ya mean believe? Call yourself open minded? Who needs to believe when
they can get out of their ruts and *think about it*?

Actually, the point I was trying to make (saying that the Anthropic Principles
reduce to 'We observe, therefore we are, therefore we observe..[repeating]')
is that they may be true without being significant. We *would* think that we
were the point of the universe, wouldn't we? Even when being, in our own terms,
absolutely objective. Unless we had some kind of would-be scientific prejudice
to the contrary? Which may have been a very useful prejudice in its time, which
is now beginning to pass?

Just a thought.

Robin      rjf@ukc.ac.uk    ..!mcvax!ukc!rjf