[sci.philosophy.tech] Topics to discuss

shaffer@operations.dccs.upenn.edu (Earl Shaffer) (05/19/87)

I would love to have a group where everyone did you send you messages
every time you made a typo or capitalized incorrectly, or etc.

I have some possible topics:

	1) Is Computer Science a science or a neatly hidden trade school
	2) If we completely wire-up our entire house control systems
	   (ie. heat,ac,security,kitchen) is a wrong number on our
	   answering machine going to torch our castle?
	3) If all of us spent our time investigating scientific knowlege
	   gaps, no one would have the time to watch Wheel of Fortune.

			cheers,

Earl Shaffer - University of Pennsylvania - Data Communications Department
"Time was invented so that everything wouldn't happen at once." Steven Wright

ccastgs@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Glenn Stone) (05/19/87)

In article <1207@super.upenn.edu.upenn.edu> shaffer@operations.dccs.upenn.edu.(Earl Shaffer) writes:
>I have some possible topics:
>
>	1) Is Computer Science a science or a neatly hidden trade school

I think computer science is a little more than a single science.  Real
CS is a well-balanced mix of EE (hardware), Psych (human factors),
Econ, philosophy, and, yes, programming.  More later... I have
(of all things) a programming lab to go to.

>Earl Shaffer - University of Pennsylvania - Data Communications Department

Interesting that a CS type would ask that... <half-serious grin>
--
                                Glenn Stone                   GGGG
BITNET: ccastgs@gitvm1 ARPA: ccastgs@pyr.ocs.gatech.edu       G TTTTT

dykimber@phoenix.PRINCETON.EDU (Daniel Yaron Kimberg) (05/19/87)

In article <1207@super.upenn.edu.upenn.edu> shaffer@operations.dccs.upenn.edu.UUCP (Earl Shaffer) writes:
>I have some possible topics:
>
>	1) Is Computer Science a science or a neatly hidden trade school
Hey, shh...keep it down.  It's a science.  No, really.  Actually, I think that
it really depends on the very specific education you're talking about.  I'd
guess from what I've heard that most college cs departments provide what amounts
to glorified trade schooling (by this I mean such practices as teaching
programming languages rather than programming, or teaching specifics rather
than using specifics to make theory clearer).

>	2) If we completely wire-up our entire house control systems
>	   (ie. heat,ac,security,kitchen) is a wrong number on our
>	   answering machine going to torch our castle?
No, no, no.  Definitely not.  People who design high tech wonders spend the
entire design process making sure that just this won't happen.

>	3) If all of us spent our time investigating scientific knowlege
>	   gaps, no one would have the time to watch Wheel of Fortune.
Or Flyers games.  But with any luck, someone will soon have their research
rewarded with the discovery of a number of extra hours in the day, and all will
be well again.

                                           -Dan

jad@beta.UUCP (05/20/87)

In article <1207@super.upenn.edu.upenn.edu>, Earl Shaffer writes:
> 	2) If we completely wire-up our entire house control systems
> 	   (ie. heat,ac,security,kitchen) is a wrong number on our
> 	   answering machine going to torch our castle?
> 			cheers,
> Earl Shaffer - University of Pennsylvania - Data Communications Department

Among other things, this group could well be the beginning of an
unmoderated version of .risks - for all of technology and not just for the
risks of using computers.

I suppose the question would be: what do you think of when thoughts of
"high-tech" come to mind?  Are they always associated with computers?
If so, how have computers affected the "thing" that was formerly not
computerized?

Zoz

shs@vanhalen.rutgers.edu (Steven H. Schwartz) (05/20/87)

In article <1207@super.upenn.edu.upenn.edu>, shaffer@operations.dccs.upenn.edu (Earl Shaffer) writes:

> 	1) Is Computer Science a science or a neatly hidden trade school

The partition is at the Master's level, with "professional" MS programs
on the "professional" trade school side, and PhD feeders on the other side.

> 	2) If we completely wire-up our entire house control systems
> 	   (ie. heat,ac,security,kitchen) is a wrong number on our
> 	   answering machine going to torch our castle?

You -live- there?  Don't you have robots to reside there for you?

> 	3) If all of us spent our time investigating scientific knowlege
> 	   gaps, no one would have the time to watch Wheel of Fortune.

Why don't you play the home version?  Close your eyes, twirl the mouse
around, then bang on the keyboard for at least twenty seconds.
Open your eyes, and see your fortune.  Lots of fun while editing your thesis.
--
If G-d had wanted man to eat shellfish,
  He would have created clams with self-opening pop-tops.

harwood@cvl.umd.edu (David Harwood) (05/20/87)

In article <1207@super.upenn.edu.upenn.edu> shaffer@operations.dccs.upenn.edu.UUCP (Earl Shaffer) writes:
>I would love to have a group where everyone did you send you messages
>every time you made a typo or capitalized incorrectly, or etc.

	Did I you send you a message, didn't I, or etc?

>I have some possible topics:
>
>	1) Is Computer Science a science or a neatly hidden trade school

	No.

>	2) If we completely wire-up our entire house control systems
>	   (ie. heat,ac,security,kitchen) is a wrong number on our
>	   answering machine going to torch our castle?

	Undecidable in general.

>	3) If all of us spent our time investigating scientific knowlege
>	   gaps, no one would have the time to watch Wheel of Fortune.

	No one has time for WofF - just Vanna White.

>			cheers,

	We have solved all important philosophical problems.

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene Miya N.) (05/21/87)

Sure I have a topic from the old comp-soc group which we were
discussing.  Computer literacy.  Not to dredge up old muck.

The weekend before doing on vacation.  I stopped by a fruit
stand/hamburger joint on the way to Tahoe.  I was awaiting for my milk
shake when some older people came into the joint.  Let me make a long
story short.  It was quite clear that these people were functionally
illiterate and had to ask to have the menu read for them.  These are
older people, not poorly dressed (as an indicator of socio-economic
class or anything like that).  I have had this situation happen before.
These people do function and survive in our society.

What I want to ask is not what computer literacy is, but what computer
illiteracy is?  Can people survive in our society as computer
illiterate?  How?  I don't mean Luddites actively trying to destroy a
system.  Why is it WE expect so much out of people (they change rather
than we make systems to fit into existing culture).

--eugene miya
  In the interest of discussion.

ma188saa@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Steve Bloch) (05/25/87)

In article <1207@super.upenn.edu.upenn.edu> shaffer@operations.dccs.upenn.edu.UUCP (Earl Shaffer) writes:
>I have some possible topics:
>
>	1) Is Computer Science a science or a neatly hidden trade school
Are those the only possibilities?  Couldn't it be an Art?
The answer, obviously, is it's all three: if you want to be a
programmer and make $30K to start, it's a trade school subject.  If
you want to build something that changes people's lives in the long
run, it's a science.  And if you follow Phaedrus and throw in a good
measure of Quality (in either case) it's an Art.