[sci.philosophy.tech] FTL Information Xfer

macleod@drivax.UUCP (05/26/87)

Why shouldn't information be able to exceed the speed of light?  It has
no mass, or anything else but significance, and that only to observers.

It does strike me, as an ignorant layman, that if you have a system that
transmits one of two states that it may be possible to rig it up to
create a boolean state machine and all that implies.

turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) (05/27/87)

In article <1664@drivax.UUCP>, macleod@drivax.UUCP (MacLeod) writes:
> Why shouldn't information be able to exceed the speed of light?  It has
> no mass, or anything else but significance, and that only to observers.

Let's not forget the theory of relativity. Superluminal message
transmission would allow us to send messages to our past or
future. Assuming that everyone has read their fair share of
science fiction, there's no need to go into the acausal paradoxes
that arise.

Russell