[sci.philosophy.tech] Aspect experiment

mark@cci632.UUCP (Mark Stevans) (05/22/87)

Just what is this "Aspect experiment" that may imply faster-than-light
information transfer?  Gravity waves 2?

					Mark "Mr. Curious" Stevans
					cci632!mark

biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) (05/25/87)

In article <1275@cci632.UUCP> mark@cci632.UUCP (Mark Stevans) writes:
>Just what is this "Aspect experiment" that may imply faster-than-light
>information transfer?  Gravity waves 2?

As far as I understood: suppose we take some small particle (I don't
know which, it doesn't matter either, so let's call it a moron).
Morons have the tendency to fall apart into two let's call them
half-wits, which always have opposite spin. So if one of them spins
left, the other one spins right. Now close your eyes (that's the
important part of the experiment) and shake a moron till it falls
apart. Since you didn't look (and you hope nobody else did), nobody
knows the spin direction of either particle. In quantum-mechanical
terms, that is: either particle is in an overlap of two states (spinning
left and spinning right, remember Schroedingers cat). Such an overlap
is described mathematically as a complex (in any sense) "wave-function".
Now jump into your car and follow one of those half-wits. After some
time you overtake it, grab your magnifying glass, and (the magic word
in QM) *observe* that the particle spins left (say). At this very same
moment, at some far distance, the wave-function for the other half-wit
collapses into the description of a right-spinning particle. So the
information that you observed your particle must have travelled in
zero time to the other half-wit. FTL information transfer. <Applause>

Now this is written somewhat jokingly, as I cannot quite see why this
reasoning is so exciting for physicists, and perhaps I don't understand
a bit of it (perhaps if my companion particle collapsed...), for me
it is just information transfer from one mental concept in my brain
to another, but the experiment (someone actually tried it out) has
caused, and still causes every now and then, lots of excitement.

Perhaps one of the philosophical physicists can comment on this?
(If they aren't already bored of it, for it keeps popping up in their
newsgroup, I believe.)
--
						Biep.  (biep@cs.vu.nl via mcvax)
	    You can distribute this iff your recipients can.

drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) (05/26/87)

Biep gave a really good exposition of this.  Has anyone figured out a
way to use this to transfer information faster than light?  Clearly,
as he described it, we get to deliver a bit to two places
simultaneously.  But, what I want is to transmit information from one
observation point to the other.

Dale
--
Dale Worley		Cullinet Software
UUCP: ...!seismo!harvard!mit-eddie!cullvax!drw

erhoogerbeet@watmath.UUCP (05/27/87)

In article <766@klipper.cs.vu.nl> biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) writes:
[some deleted]
>in QM) *observe* that the particle spins left (say). At this very same
>moment, at some far distance, the wave-function for the other half-wit
>collapses into the description of a right-spinning particle. So the
>information that you observed your particle must have travelled in
>zero time to the other half-wit. FTL information transfer. <Applause>

I don't understand. If one observer finds the spin, and the spin of the
other particle is automatically known, how is the second observer going
to know that he should look at the half-wit number two at the correct time?

Would they not need to look *simultaneously* at the particle to find out?
Which defeats a purpose somewhere, I think. Not only that, but can the spin
be controlled? If not, how can you transfer information?

Just thought I'd ask.

erhoogerbeet@watmath.uucp    "`The Guide says there is an art to flying,'
ehoogerbeets@wateuler.uucp     said Ford,`or at least a knack. The knack lies
Edwin (Deepthot)               in learning how to throw yourself at the ground
Hoogerbeets                    and miss.' He smiled weakly."