[sci.philosophy.tech] Anthropic principle

linda@brueer.UUCP (06/02/87)

In article <3011@eagle.ukc.ac.uk> rjf@ukc.ac.uk (R.J.Faichney) writes:

>Yes - me. And I would like to know if anyone agrees with me that the Strong
>Anthropic Principle (if that's the correct nomenclature) really reduces to
>
>	We observe, therefore we are, therefore we observe.. [repeating]

I didn't see this program but a friend that saw it said that it was saying
that the Universe wouldn't exist if man didn't exist.
So that would reduce the Principle to
       It is observed, therefore it is, therefore it is observed..[repeating]

If man didnt exist man couldn't observe the universe so it wouldn't exist
in the world as defined by man. It may exist in something elses world though.

What is the universe to the Earth ?

(Thoughts inspired by "In Search of the Miraculous" by P.D.Ouspensky)
--
Linda.

'Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without
losing your temper or your self-confidence.'

* Linda Birmingham.              |                                             *
* Computer Centre                | Voice: +44 895 74000 Ext 2561               *
* Brunel                         | ARPA:  linda%ee.brunel.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa    *
* The University of West London  |                                             *
* Uxbridge                       | UUCP:  ...!ukc!ee.brunel.ac.uk!linda        *
* UB8 3PH                        |                                             *
* UNITED KINGDOM                 | JANET: linda@uk.ac.brunel.ee                *