[sci.philosophy.tech] A virtue of Vacuum Genesis

rdh@sun.uucp (Robert Hartman) (06/27/87)

In article <8706261209.AA04305@brahms.Berkeley.EDU> obnoxio@brahms.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
>In article <4080@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, lagache@violet (Edouard Lagache)
>>				        However, the uncertainty
>>               principle is only known to be true of our universe (and
>>               space-time).  For Vacuum Genesis to work, that other
>>               universe would also have to support the uncertainty
>>               principle - why should it?
>
>Guth and co-workers have suggested an alternative origin for vacuum
>genesis, by a process of continuous creation of disjoint universes.
>
>Indeed it does.  So what's wrong with an infinite regress?  I think I
>asked that question before, and I don't recall any answers, let alone
>a satisfactory one.

It seems to me that when you have several theories, each of which admits
of infinite regress (why should a proto-universe produce only one like ours,
or perhaps a number of different types?), Occam's razor is the preferred
arbiter.  I don't think that physics theories are meant to explain how the
universe ACTUALLY DID originate, so much as to explain how it COULD HAVE
originated in accordance with known theory and observations.  So, in an
immediate sense, since vacuum genesis offers such an explanation, I'm willing
to accept it as the best theory going so far.

In an ultimate sense, I doubt that any cosmological explanation can avoid
infinite regress.  And so, I can either accept them all as equally plausible,
or reject them all as equally meaningless.  -bob.

In article <22236@sun.uucp> rdh@sun.UUCP (Robert Hartman) writes:
>In an ultimate sense, I doubt that any cosmological explanation can avoid
>infinite regress.  And so, I can either accept them all as equally plausible,
>or reject them all as equally meaningless.  -bob.

Well, there is the alternative of saying "that's all there is, there is no
explanation for this, it's just there" at some point.  This leaves you in
much the same state you started in, of course.

There is also the possibility of a *potentially* infinite regress.  At each
step, you can find a deeper explanation; but there is no way to tie it all
up in ball and generalize (you can't say: "each level is based on the
preceding level in the following way: ...").  This possiblity is called job
security for cosmologists.  It seems more likely to me than some more fully
explicatable regress.

Ashton-Tate          52 Oakland Ave North         E. Hartford, CT 06108