[sci.philosophy.tech] Gerbode's position as Devil's Advocate

cbo@utai.UUCP (07/07/87)

Sarge Gerbode (sarge@thirdi) writes in (<48@thirdi>:
| To summarize:  As each of us looks at what he knows in his own life, what he
| knows at a particular time is coextensive with what he believes at that time.
| Thus, for an individual at a particular time, knowledge and belief are
| equivalent.

I dont think so! When I try to do something and fail, I often believe that one
of my currently held beliefs is false, and is thus reponsible for the failure.
The dilemma, of course, is that I don't know *which* of my beliefs is false,
and since I can't give them all up, I am forced (for the time being at least)
to retain them all. The net result is that I end up believing that what
I believe and what I know is not coextensive (although of course, I cant
list the extension of either!). To believe anything else would be remarkably
presumptuous, I feel.

		Calvin Bruce Ostrum (cbo@ai.toronto.edu)
		Department of Computer Science
		University of Toronto

It is a curiousity of the philosophical temperament, this passion for
radical solutions. Do you feel a little twinge in your epistemology?
Absolute scepticism is the thing to try. Has the logic of confirmation
got you down? Probably physics is a fiction. Worried about individuating
objects? Dont let anything in but sets. Nobody has yet suggested that the
way out of the Liar paradox is to give up talking, but I expect it's only
a matter of time. Apparently the rule is: if aspirin doesn't work, try
cutting off your head.
		Jerry Fodor

sarge@thirdi.UUCP (07/09/87)

In article <3988@utai.UUCP> cbo@utai.UUCP writes:

>When I try to do something and fail, I often believe that one
>of my currently held beliefs is false, and is thus reponsible for the failure.
>The dilemma, of course, is that I don't know *which* of my beliefs is false,
>and since I can't give them all up, I am forced (for the time being at least)
>to retain them all. The net result is that I end up believing that what
>I believe and what I know is not coextensive (although of course, I cant
>list the extension of either!). To believe anything else would be remarkably
>presumptuous, I feel.

My recent posting (and Alan Wexelblat's) should cover this point.

In the above case, you would retain all of your beliefs, but assign them
an average probability less than 1.  Your belief concerning the aggregate of
your beliefs would then be the same as your knowledge of the aggregate of your
beliefs, and the degree of belief in each individual member of the aggregate
would be the same ass your knowledge of same, so the mapping remains the same.

One of the problems is in the vagueness of the terms "belief" and "knowledge",
which sometimes mean something absolute and sometimes something relative.  I
mean both to mean something that admits of degrees, ranging from 0 or near-0
probability through 1 or near-1 probability.  For the sake of consistency,
let's call the thing believed or not an "idea".  Below 0.5 are various ranges
of DISbelief of or knowledge of the *negation* of the idea.  Above 0.5 are
various ranges of belief or knowledge of the idea.  Belief and knowledge, from
the viewpoint of a single individual at a particular time, are alike
agreement, assent, or acceptance of an idea (saying "Yes"); Disbelief and
knowledge of the negation of an idea are alike rejection, dissent, or
disagreement with an idea (saying "No").  Assent and dissent admit of
degrees.
--
"From his own viewpoint, no one ever has false beliefs; he only *had* false
beliefs."

Sarge Gerbode
Institute for Research in Metapsychology
950 Guinda St.
Palo Alto, CA 94301
UUCP:  pyramid!thirdi!sarge