[sci.philosophy.tech] Modus Ponens = NIL ?

tjpak@athena.mit.edu (Tae J Pak) (07/12/87)

In article <19647@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> kube@cogsci.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Paul Kube) writes:
]  It's October 1980.  You hold the following plausible beliefs:
]    1.  If it's a Republican that will win the election, then if
]        Reagan doesn't win, Anderson will.
]    2.  It's a Republican that will win the election.
]However, you don't believe what follows from these by modus ponens,
]viz. that if Reagan doesn't win, Anderson will (everyone believed that
]if Reagan didn't win, Carter would).

An article on this dilemma (and in fact, citing this very example) appeared
in a recent issue of _Analysis_, a philosophical journal.  I would suggest
to those who are interested that they refer to this very fine journal.

In the mean time, I would like to propose a solution of my own.

Now it seems to me that there is a fundamental ambiguity in the two
statements above.  Consider Statment 2:
	"It's a Republican that will win the election."
What is one to make of this?  Is it a statement of _FACT_ (i.e. in the same
category as, say, the Law of Universal Gravitation) or is it merely a
_SENTIMENT_ (much like "Dem Bums will never win the Pennant!") ?  It is
crucial that this ambiguity be resolved, else it cannot be certain that
Statement 2 is an affirmation of the IF clause of Statement 1.  I find it
highly implausible that Statement 2 is a statement of fact, so for the moment
let us assume it is a sentiment.  If that is the case then clearly Statement
2 does not affirm the IF clause of Statement 1, for Statement 1 assumes the
factual interpretation and not the sentimental interpretation.  That is to say,
Statement 1 makes the claim that IF a Republican MUST win, then it will either
be Reagan or Anderson.  Further more, if in fact the IF clause of Statement 1
is assuming a sentimental interpretation, then I would claim  Statement 1 is
unreasonable.  A much more reasonable statement would be:
	1A: "If it's a Republican that will win the election, then if Reagan
	     doesn't win, Carter will win."
This statement is possible because now the (first) IF clause is no longer a
statement of fact and, thus, our choices are no longer restricted to the
Republican field.  For all intents and purposes, we can disregard the initial
IF clause because it has no bearing on the statements that follow.  To sum
up, one of the following three must be true:
	(a) Statment 2 and the initial IF clause of Statement 1 are both
	    facts, in which case modus ponens works fine;
	(b) Statement 2 and the initial IF clause of Statement 1 are both
	    sentiments, in which case I claim Statement 1 is incorrect and
	    should be replaced by Statement 1A (and modus ponens again works);
	(c) Statement 2 and the initial IF clause of Statement 1 are of mixed
	    type, in which case modus ponens doesn't apply.
Comments?

--Tony Pak
  tjpak@speaker.mit.edu

greg@mind.UUCP (Greg Nowak) (07/14/87)

what follows from these by modus ponens,
>]viz. that if Reagan doesn't win, Anderson will (everyone believed that
>]if Reagan didn't win, Carter would).
>

>  Consider Statment 2:
>	"It's a Republican that will win the election."
>What is one to make of this?  Is it a statement of _FACT_ (i.e. in the same
>category as, say, the Law of Universal Gravitation) or is it merely a
>_SENTIMENT_ (much like "Dem Bums will never win the Pennant!") ?  It is

It is not a statement of fact, or a sentiment  ... it is a proposition.
To the extent that we are talking about logic, its content is irrelevant;
we might as well be talking about purple cows. If this curious problem
demonstrates anything, it demonstrates that modus ponens is valid
only for the truth and falsity of propositions, not the plausibility or
implausibility of beliefs.

>unreasonable.  A much more reasonable statement would be:
>	1A: "If it's a Republican that will win the election, then if Reagan
>	     doesn't win, Carter will win."
>This statement is possible because now the (first) IF clause is no longer a
>statement of fact

Please. We are talking about logic. Remember, Carter is a Democrat;
so your statement 1A is absurd on the face of it. (Recall Einstein's dictum:
To the extent that mathematics is certain, it does not discuss reality;
to the extent that it discusses reality, it is not certain." Substitute
logic for mathematics, and politics for reality ...)

>Comments?

Please forgive me for taking less-than-kindly advantage of your invitation.

Formal logic:

P: "A Republican will win the election."
R: "Reagan will win the election."
A: "Anderson will win the election."

Formally, proposition 1 is :

P  -->  (~R --> A)

and proposition 2 is simply

There is nothing wrong with deducing (~R --> A) from the above
as a formal system; your unease comes only from the implausibility
of (~R --> A) taken out of context ...

But observe that P is a complex proposition;
we are really saying that we know there are only two Republicans
running, Reagan and Anderson, and either one of them winning will mean a
Republican will win the election.

Thus :   P  = ( R  \/  A )     [\/ = "or"]

Proposition 1 becomes

(R \/ A) -->  (~R --> A)

And 2:

(R \/ A)

so far this is just formal logic with which I hope no one
will quibble. Now, using the revised versions of the propositions, we
can address the issue of interpretation.

Why do we "Believe"  (R \/ A) ?
Clearly, because we believe R.
Thus

Bel (R) --> Bel (R \/ A).

Bel(R) is a hidden axiom of the system which starts everything off.

thus the derivation goes:

Bel(R)					[axiom]
Bel (R \/ A)				[definition of \/ ]
Bel(R \/ A) --> Bel (~R --> A)		[definition of \/]
Bel(~R --> A)				[modus ponens]

We are left with Bel (R) and Bel (~R --> A).
Bel is a weaselly function; we could have carried out the above
derivation without it by taking R as axiomatic, and ending up with
R  and (~R --> A) . Since the condition of the implication
is false, we have no problem; (R  /\ (~R --> A)) is true for any
two propositions R, A. It is the "Bel" operator which is the
source of our problem, and it is introduced because the apprehension we
felt about Reagans's impending victory was just shy of certainty.
Here is where the real world enters, and logic says, "I never
promised you a rose garden." ...

So Modus ponens may not be perfect for "beliefs", but it's still
as solid as a rock for real logic ...

--
greg	                      Since I now handle mail and news from inside
             	              emacs, 90% of my time is spent there ...