[sci.philosophy.tech] Comment on Superconductivity

obnoxio@BRAHMS.BERKELEY.EDU (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (07/21/87)

In article <2385@ames.arpa>, eugene@pioneer (Eugene Miya N.) writes:
>This is why our science can predict the new discoveries of
>superconductivity right?

Theorists had made speculations about high Tc superconductors long before
they were discovered.  But since theory people have such limited imagina-
tions, they need giant hints from nature in order to identify the correct
zeroth order approximation that will kick start their calculations.

(I seem to recall reading a survey article on this--meaning conjectures
about high Tc, of course--a few years ago in "Physics Today".)

>			   (sorry, I didn't want to sound too sarcastic,
>since we don't have a theory.)

Well, I *did* want to sound sarcastic.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

steve@hubcap.UUCP (Steve ) (07/21/87)

in article <8707210421.AA16893@brahms.Berkeley.EDU>, obnoxio@BRAHMS.BERKELEY.EDU (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) says:

> In article <2385@ames.arpa>, eugene@pioneer (Eugene Miya N.) writes:
>>This is why our science can predict the new discoveries of
>>superconductivity right?

This discussion is getting a bit out of hand.  The question before us is the
of philosophy within the scientific method.  Ad hominem arguments aside, there
is an interplay.  Let's take QM, for example.  Many basic changes to the
view of the world were required - and even folks like Einstein were not
particularly happy about it. (That's the model part).  But whether or not
one should accept the Copenhaven intrepretation is (I claim) a philosophical
issue.

Perhaps a clearer distinction is the Brouwer intuitionistic argument -
he flat wouldn't accept the idealistic view proposed by Hilbert et. al.
Having said so, he proposed to "do it all over," logic and all.  Now,
do you accept Hilbert or Brouwer?  Or both?

Steve Stevenson                            steve@hubcap.clemson.edu
(aka D. E. Stevenson),                     dsteven@clemson.csnet
Department of Computer Science,            (803)656-5880.mabell
Clemson Univeristy, Clemson, SC 29634-1906

litow@uwm-cs.UUCP (07/21/87)

In article <8707210421.AA16893@brahms.Berkeley.EDU>, obnoxio@BRAHMS.BERKELEY.EDU (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
> Theorists had made speculations about high Tc superconductors long before
> they were discovered.  But since theory people have such limited imagina-
> tions, they need giant hints from nature in order to identify the correct
> zeroth order approximation that will kick start their calculations.
The above point is very well made. I do not agree that theorists have limited
imaginations. I rather thought that 'hints from nature' combined with
theoretical calculations,etc. were,taken together,what one generally calls
Physics. However,the main contribution in the above paragraph is the idea
that significance in a derivation may only be discernable to human intellect
after just such a kick start (colorful but useful language) which gets the
iteration going so to speak.

I would like to extend the observation made by M.Wiener to computer science.
In brief his remark explains why I do not accept Church's Thesis. I think
that if CT were really the case,then the structure of the physical world
would not play a role in computing and vice versa. I am not claiming that
physics enters into computing in a first order way. The theorems of
computational complexity theory e.g. intractability of Pressburger Theory
do not depend upon thermodynamics but the actual scope of our ability to
compute may indeed depend upon thermo. I am not speaking of bigger and faster
but of conceptual changes caused by our understanding of subtle relations
between computing and physics. It is just those 'kick starts' that seem to
me to deny that computability is subsumed by Turing machines. I expect that
such 'kick starts' will shortly be identified in computer science.