[sci.philosophy.tech] Essense, determinism, and QM

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.UK (Jack Campin) (07/29/87)

[This is posted from brahms, since Jack's machine can't post at the nonce.]

>From:  gould!proxftl!bill@seismo.CSS.GOV (T. William Wells)
>...  to say that the same thing acting on the same thing under the
>same conditions may yet produce a different effect, is to say that a
>thing need not be what it is...
>[This is from "An Introduction to Logic" by H.W.B. Joseph, as quoted
>in "Atheism: the Case Against God" by George H. Smith.

I can see no earthly reason to believe this. Maybe I could if I were Aristotle
and thought that *everything* an object does comes from some sort of essence,
though I suspect this is a bad parody even of Aristotle's views; at any rate
this is just a restatement of Laplacian determinism in essentialist language
and it is certainly NOT presupposed by quantum mechanics. Does Joseph's book
have an index entry for "petitio principii"?

- jack

ARPANet: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@{ucl-cs.arpa,cs.ucl.ac.uk}
JANET:   jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs
USENET:  mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack
Mail:    Jack Campin, Computer Science Dept., University of Glasgow,
         17 Lilybank Gardens, GLASGOW G12 8QQ
British Telecon: 041 339 8855 x 6045