[sci.philosophy.tech] Zeno

ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (Peter Ladkin) (07/30/87)

In article <5845@princeton.Princeton.EDU>, ahw@notecnirp.Princeton.EDU (Arthur Watson) writes:
> [..] (though it solves Zeno's:
> the Zeno time sequence converges to the time when the hare overtakes
> the tortoise -- the rest of the race precedes from there; what could
> be more unparadoxical?)

Just in case anyone believes that Zeno's questions have been `solved',
I should mention that you need to make explicit assumptions to say
that the above piece of reasoning is a solution to the best known of
Zeno's paradoxes.  Among these assumptions are that time intervals are
infinitely divisible, and that they may have durations measurable with
arbitrarily small real or rational numbers.  Because of the relative
success of Newtonian physics for a couple of centuries, people tend to
believe that these assumptions are `confirmed', and the paradox
`solved'. If we consider that the notion of time quanta is not
inherently contradictory, we can resurrect some of the more
entertaining of Zeno's questions, such as the stadium paradox.
There's a good book on the subject, edited by Wesley Salmon.

peter ladkin
ladkin@kestrel.arpa