[sci.philosophy.tech] Russell's set... paradox... stone too big to lift

markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) (08/04/87)

The real problem with "Can God create a stone too big to lift?" is that
"lift" is ill-defined.  Lift above what?

Mark Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,akgua,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!markb

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (08/06/87)

In article <4760@sdcrdcf.UUCP> markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) writes:
>The real problem with "Can God create a stone too big to lift?" is that
>"lift" is ill-defined.  Lift above what?

While we're on the subject, I just noticed that nobody has defined
"stone" either.  What if "stone" means "object weighing 14 pounds"?
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (08/06/87)

In article <4760@sdcrdcf.UUCP> markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) writes:
>The real problem with "Can God create a stone too big to lift?" is that
>"lift" is ill-defined.  Lift above what?

And what kind of stone should it be?  Granite, shale, basalt, or
something else?  Where should the rock be created?  On earth, or some
other planet?  Should the stone be created from nothing, or should it
be built from matter that already exists?  When should he create it?
How about Friday?  Yessir, I can see lots of ways in which the problem
is ill-defined.

Get serious.

You can always find some stupid detail left unspecified in *any*
statement of *any* problem.  Do you ignore *all* problems you hear
because they are "ill-defined", or just this one?

Followups to rant.religion.misc.

--
David Canzi