[sci.philosophy.tech] Logic and Coercion

mps@duke.cs.duke.edu (Michael P. Smith) (07/26/87)

In article <68@thirdi.UUCP> sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) writes:
>The notion of what truly constitutes compulsion in the area of thought is
>somewhat unclear (to me).  Is logic a form of application of force?  Does
>demonstration enforce agreement?  Or should force be regarded as the
>application of pain and duress (or a threat of some kind)?  My inclination is
>to apply the term to the latter.  If anyone has views on the topic of what
>consititutes the use of force or coercion, I'd be interested to hear them.

You might be interested in the introduction to Robert Nozick's
PHILOSOPHICAL EXPLANATIONS (Harvard 1981).  He characterizes typical
philosophical argument as coercive, and adopts instead the mode of
"philosophical explanation" (hence the book's title).  The basic idea
is that instead of trying to *prove* philosophical position P true,
one should try to *explain* how P is possible.  Besides being nicer,
Nozick argues (explains?), the explanatory approach tends to produce
understanding, as opposed to mere conviction, and so fits better the
end of philosophy.

Note that both *proof* and *explanation* employ logic, but in
different ways.

"I do not take the skeptic seriously enough to want to teach him; I do take
 what he says seriously enough to want to learn from it."  R. Nozick

Michael P. Smith	ARPA:  mps@duke.cs.duke.edu

cliff@rlgvax.UUCP (Cliff Joslyn) (07/28/87)

In article <9962@duke.cs.duke.edu>, mps@duke.cs.duke.edu (Michael P. Smith) writes:
> The basic idea
> is that instead of trying to *prove* philosophical position P true,
> one should try to *explain* how P is possible.  Besides being nicer,
> Nozick argues (explains?), the explanatory approach tends to produce
> understanding, as opposed to mere conviction, and so fits better the
> end of philosophy.

I believe that this is very similar to something expressed by Kant in the
Prolegmonena (although it has been many years since I read it), that
explaning how something might be possible is really the task of metaphyics.
 Wish I could recall more.

--
O----------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Computer Consoles Inc., Reston, Virgnia, but my opinions.
| UUCP: ..!seismo!rlgvax!cliff
V All the world is biscuit liz1

mps@duke.cs.duke.edu (Michael P. Smith) (07/29/87)

In article <573@rlgvax.UUCP> cliff@rlgvax.UUCP (Cliff Joslyn) writes:
[regarding Nozick's favoring of *explanation* over *proof* in philosophy]:

>I believe that this is very similar to something expressed by Kant in the
>Prolegmonena (although it has been many years since I read it), that
>explaning how something might be possible is really the task of metaphyics.

Indeed it is, but Nozick tries to distinguish his method from Kant's
in a footnote on page 15.  Here's his summation:
	There is a difference between explaining *p* via *q*, and
	proving *q* is the correct explanation of *p*.  A transcendental
	argument [Kant's technique] attempts to prove *q* by proving
	it is part of any correct explanation of *p*, by proving it a
	precondition of *p*'s possibility.

"As regards those who adopt a *scientific* method, they have the choice
of proceeding either *dogmatically* or *skeptically*; but in any case
they are under obligation to proceed *systematically*.   I. Kant

Michael P. Smith	ARPA: mps@duke.cs.duke.edu

sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) (07/29/87)

In article <1541@botter.cs.vu.nl> hansw@cs.vu.nl (Hans Weigand) writes:
>Consider the sentences:
>    Please believe me! (Don't believe it!)
>    *Please know it! (*Don't know it!)
>The ungrammaticality of the latter stems from the lack of control
>of "knowing". Evidently, this does not apply to the former.

While admittedly, use of "know" in the imperative is rarer that "believe", it
is not unheard of. For instance: "Know your multiplication tables by tomorrow!"
or "Know ye that He hath come amongst you," etc..  I don't think the difference
is all that major.  A minor point.

>According to Heidegger, logic has its roots in the original Logos
>(cf. Heraclitus). This Logos is defined in a rather violent way
>("The Logos holds men together not without violence"). Compare
>also the view of violence as "ultimate reason". At the
>other hand, philosophy (science) has attempted to escape
>from violence since the days of Socrates (see in particular the
>work of the Frankfurter Schule).

I'm going to display my ignorance here, I'm afraid.  I find Heidegger rough
going, and I'm not at all sure what he means by "the Logos" and whether it has
anything to do with logic.  My philosophy dictionary gives several definitions
for "Logos", the Heracleitean one being something that sounds like "natural
law -- that which, in nature, corresponds to reasoning in persons".  I'm not
sure, though, if this is the meaning you meant to invoke.

Nor am I sure what is meant by "violence as ultimate reason".  I also don't
know what the Frankfurter Schule is.

In order to understand and discuss the issue, we need to understand what is
being said, and others (especially Americans, who are generally not steeped in
phenomenology) probably share my ignorance in this respect.

>I think that anybody will agree there is an important practical
>difference between the force of brute violence and the force
>of logic, or (in general) language.

I tend to agree, but what *is* the essential difference, I wonder?

>But the relationship
>between violence and truth has always been a fundamental and
>unresolved problem of philosophy, and it is not likely to be
>resolved in this discussion.

I have a lot of faith in the notion that fundamental truths are simple and
simple to express.  I see no reason not to discuss these matters.  Practically
everythinng that appears in *.philosophy.* is something that is a fundamental
unresolved problem of philosophy.

>Refusing to accept a logical
>argument (not believing it) obviously endangers the communication
>possibilities....

An excellent point.  It seems to me that communication is endangered in such a
case because a person cannot get a clear conception of something that is self-
contradictory or otherwise illogical.
--
"Absolute knowledge means never having to change your mind."

Sarge Gerbode
Institute for Research in Metapsychology
950 Guinda St.
Palo Alto, CA 94301
UUCP:  pyramid!thirdi!sarge

sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) (07/30/87)

In a sense, Nosick's approach is similar to that of a scientist.  The
scientist proposes various hypotheses that would explain present phenomena.
These hypotheses are then compared with existing data and with other existing
phenomena and scientific theories to see if they "fit".  A major difference
(and one that makes science empirical, where Nosick's method is not) is that
in scientific method, new, previously undiscovered phenomena are predicted
that would follow from the hypothesis.  Also, in Nosick's approach, the
conclusions or phenomena to be explained are conceived as derived by some
process of *reasoning* from different possible premisses, while in the
scientific approach, they are thought to follow at least partially through
some *causal* chain, rather than one of reasoning alone.
--
"Absolute knowledge means never having to change your mind."

Sarge Gerbode
Institute for Research in Metapsychology
950 Guinda St.
Palo Alto, CA 94301
UUCP:  pyramid!thirdi!sarge

flink@mimsy.UUCP (Paul V Torek) (08/04/87)

What is the difference between proof and explanation supposed to be?
Presumably, not in logical form:  most of what I would commonly call
explanations would take the form of modus ponens; and a proof can
certainly have this form.  Is it that with explanations one is
allowed to reject the premises; but in proofs one is (somehow, but
how?) "not allowed"?  But no proof can do more than present the choice
of either rejecting some of the premises, or accepting the conclusion.
And any explanation must assert some premises, if only tentatively.
(Further, surely those premises are asserted or entertained because
they are thought particularly probable, or plausible.)

Understanding a logical discussion provides a kind of freedom, not
coercion.  If psychologically, one feels "forced" upon reading a
proof, why is that?  Perhaps because one is attached to inconsistent
beliefs.  But one has the option to release that attachment, and
reconsider things afresh.

Arguments can be put forward with hostile or with benevolent intent,
of course, and they can hurt, or not.  But these are different issues
--right?
--
Paul Torek				torek@umix.cc.umich.edu

mps@duke.cs.duke.edu (Michael P. Smith) (08/05/87)

In article <7836@mimsy.UUCP> flink@mimsy.UUCP (Paul V Torek) writes:
>What is the difference between proof and explanation supposed to be?
>Presumably, not in logical form:  most of what I would commonly call
>explanations would take the form of modus ponens; and a proof can
>certainly have this form.

Proofs and explanations differ in *epistemic direction*.  (The phrase
and the following explanation come from Michael Dummett's "The
Justification of Deduction," although I doubt that he would claim to
be the originator of either.) Consider a proof and an explanation both
having the logical form of *modus ponens*:

		Proof:			Explanation:
	1.		A -> B			A' -> B'
	2.		A			A'
		       ---		       ---
	3.		B			B'

In a proof, the direction of *inference* coincides with that of
*logical consequence*.  That is, 1 & 2 are epistemically warranted
independently of the proof, and 3 inherits some of that warrant through
the proof.  Put simply, we know 1 and 2 in advance, we don't know 3 in
advance, and we come to know 3 by proving it from 1 and 2.

In an explanation, there may be no inference (in the sense of fixation
of belief) at all.  But often there is, and the direction of the
inference runs *counter* to that of the logical consequence involved.
That is, 3 will be better known than either 1 or 2, and these
logical premises will be warranted (or have their epistemic weight
increased) through providing an explanation of the known fact 3.

A stereotypical, if not necessarily typical, case involves subsumption
of an individual case under a general rule:

	1.	Anyone holding an emerald survives the glance of a basilisk.
	2.	I am holding an emerald.
	3.	So I survive the glance of a basilisk.

Before my confrontation with the basilisk, I may run through this bit
of reasoning to assure myself of the truth of its logical conclusion.
But we can imagine also this syllogism occurring to me after a chance
meeting with the beast, when the conclusion is evident, as a way of
confirming either of the premises.

For Charles Peirce, there were three types of inference possible above.
I may *deduce* 3 from 1 & 2.  By *induction*, I derive 2 from 1 & 3.
Finally, *abduction* allows one to ascend to general principles like 1
from particulars like 2 & 3.

Michael P. Smith	ARPA:  mps@duke.cs.duke.edu
	"Tu ne me chercherais pas si tu ne m'avais trouve."	Pascal

cliff@rlgvax.UUCP (Cliff Joslyn) (08/11/87)

In article <10001@duke.cs.duke.edu>, mps@duke.cs.duke.edu (Michael P. Smith) writes:
> In article <7836@mimsy.UUCP> flink@mimsy.UUCP (Paul V Torek) writes:
> >What is the difference between proof and explanation supposed to be?
> >Presumably, not in logical form:  most of what I would commonly call
> >explanations would take the form of modus ponens; and a proof can
> >certainly have this form.
>
> [ discussion of deduction, induction, and abduction ]

So, to summarize:

1: A->B
2: A
3: B

Deduction: { 1,2 } -> 3
Induction: { 1,3 } -> 2
Abduction: { 2,3 } -> 1

Now return to the original question.  Presumably proof is deduction.  Is
explanation induction, abduction, or perhaps either (i.e. ~deduction)?

--
| Cliff Joslyn, Computer Consoles Inc., Reston, Virginia, but my opinions.
| UUCP: ..!seismo!rlgvax!cliff  Phone: (703) 648-3346 - W (703) 524-1962 - H
V All the world is biscuit shaped