[sci.philosophy.tech] Science and Aesthetics

jeff@aiva.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton) (01/01/70)

In article <94@thirdi.UUCP> sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) writes:

>In article <2495@ames.arpa> yamo@orville.UUCP (Michael J. Yamasaki) writes:
>>All philosophy is not Western, nor is it logical, [...]
>>Please explain in the context of logic the notion of no mind in Zen
>>Buddhism or the Tao.  Are these not Philosophy?

>When you put it that way, I'd say "No. They are religion."  I think parts of
>Buddhism are philosophical and -- guess what? -- these are the rational parts,
>not the mystical parts.

To me, this seems to be almost begging the question.  If you are
willing to call only the rational parts philosophical, then you will
of course find no non-logical philosophy in Buddhism.  But the
question is whether philosophy should be so narrowly defined, not
whether Buddhism fits a given notion of philosophy ...

That is: the distinction between the philosophic and religious aspects
of Buddhism doesn't match all that neatly with that between rational
(logical) and mystical.

In article <2734@hoptoad.uucp> laura@hoptoad.UUCP (Laura Creighton) writes:
> [...]  There were a small but very vocal number of people who were
>convinced that Buddhism (any sort) was a religion, and required a
>belief in a deity, and therefore was a superstition, [...]

I wonder what they thought the deity was.  Presumably not the Buddha.

By the way, there even seem to be interpretations of Christianity that
do not involve belief in a deity in the usual sense: e.g., where "God"
means the object of "ultimate concern".

sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) (08/10/87)

In article <120@snark.UUCP> eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:

>Beauty tends to be a good heuristic for what's *interesting* in
>pure mathematics, but it doesn't tell you what's true. In other fields the
>connection is even more tenuous.

I think what you say in your submission is correct, so far as it goes -- that
we tend to see things as beautiful when we understand them (like F = ma).

However, I think beauty *is*, in fact, used as a criterion of truth.  Given two
theories that equally well explain the facts, I think anyone would pick the one
that was the most "elegant", i.e. that had the most aesthetic appeal.  I
wouldn't go so far as to *define* beauty as truth, as Keats did.  But I think
it *is* an important criterion for choosing between rival theories.

I think part of the reason for this is that, as Aristotle says, "pleasure is a
sign of the good".  Likewise, aesthetics might be regarded as a "sign of the
true".  We tend to feel good when we discover truth.  From past experience, we
have learned that discovery of truth (as in your dx/dt example) is accompanied
by an aesthetic sensation.  So now, when we have an aesthetic sensation, we
tend to regard that as a sign of being on the right track.

So I don't think it's a "typical-for-philosophically-naive=westerners
misprojection.  It could be regarded as "true by induction".

At least I get a good aesthetic feeling about it.

But then, there's no accounting for tastes.  Or is there?  :-)
--
"Absolute knowledge means never having to change your mind."

Sarge Gerbode
Institute for Research in Metapsychology
950 Guinda St.
Palo Alto, CA 94301
UUCP:  pyramid!thirdi!sarge

turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) (08/10/87)

In article <86@thirdi.UUCP>, sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) writes:
> In article <120@snark.UUCP> eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>
> >Beauty tends to be a good heuristic for what's *interesting* in
> >pure mathematics, but it doesn't tell you what's true. In other fields the
> >connection is even more tenuous.
>
> I think what you say in your submission is correct, so far as it goes -- that
> we tend to see things as beautiful when we understand them (like F = ma).
>
> However, I think beauty *is*, in fact, used as a criterion of truth.  Given two
> theories that equally well explain the facts, I think anyone would pick the one
> that was the most "elegant", i.e. that had the most aesthetic appeal.  I
> wouldn't go so far as to *define* beauty as truth, as Keats did.  But I think
> it *is* an important criterion for choosing between rival theories.
>
> I think part of the reason for this is that, as Aristotle says, "pleasure is a
> sign of the good".  Likewise, aesthetics might be regarded as a "sign of the
> true".  We tend to feel good when we discover truth.  From past experience, we
> have learned that discovery of truth (as in your dx/dt example) is accompanied
> by an aesthetic sensation.  So now, when we have an aesthetic sensation, we
> tend to regard that as a sign of being on the right track.
>
> So I don't think it's a "typical-for-philosophically-naive=westerners
> misprojection.  It could be regarded as "true by induction".
>
> At least I get a good aesthetic feeling about it.
>
> But then, there's no accounting for tastes.  Or is there?  :-)
> --
> "Absolute knowledge means never having to change your mind."
>
> Sarge Gerbode

Given two physical theories with the same explanatory power, when
do scientists claim one is more elegant or beautiful than the
other? Frequently, the criterion for "elegance" is that one
theory makes fewer unexplained assumptions about the world. Thus,
the more elegant theory is the one that explains as much with
less.

Certain kinds of assumptions also seem to be preferred over other
kinds of assumption. Suppose that two theories were (a) identical
in their explanatory power, and (b) identical in their
assumptions except for one. For this one assumption, one theory
assumes space is homogenous (physical laws are the same
everywhere), and the other theory, while not requiring
homogeneity, introduces a new force law. Most scientists would
find the latter theory less elegant.

Both of these criteria for elegance, namely parsimony of
assumptions and preference for general principles of symmetry or
invariance over the introduction of new forces, can strongly be
argued for on philosophical grounds. In short, scientists call
theories beautiful because they are more true, or at least, less
wrong.

What about two theories that have both identical explanatory
power and identical assumptions? I think most physicists would
view these theories as identical physical theories, but with
different mathematical exposition. While one mathematical
exposition might be preferred to the other, on whatever grounds
some mathematics can be judged more elegant than other, the
"physics" is the same.

Russell

kube@cogsci.berkeley.edu (Paul Kube) (08/12/87)

In article <8707@ut-sally.UUCP> turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) writes:
>Both of these criteria for elegance, namely parsimony of
>assumptions and preference for general principles of symmetry or
>invariance over the introduction of new forces, can strongly be
>argued for on philosophical grounds. In short, scientists call
>theories beautiful because they are more true, or at least, less
>wrong.

I find this paragraph a bit hard to parse, but if you're saying you
know of strong philosophical arguments for simplicity or elegance of
theories being diagnostic of truth, let's hear 'em.  People do tend to
prefer simple theories, other things being equal; but there are
reasons they may have for prefering the simpler theory other than that
they think it stands a better chance of being true.  For example,
someone might find the simpler theory easier to understand, or easier
to use to make predictions, or more pleasing to contemplate.  I can
imagine strong arguments for supposing that these kinds of properties
of theories are correlated with simplicity.  But *truth*?

--Paul kube@berkeley.edu, ...!ucbvax!kube

turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) (08/12/87)

In article <20070@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, kube@cogsci.berkeley.edu (Paul Kube) writes:
> In article <8707@ut-sally.UUCP> turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) writes:
> >Both of these criteria for elegance, namely parsimony of
> >assumptions and preference for general principles of symmetry or
> >invariance over the introduction of new forces, can strongly be
> >argued for on philosophical grounds. In short, scientists call
> >theories beautiful because they are more true, or at least, less
> >wrong.
>
> I find this paragraph a bit hard to parse, but if you're saying you
> know of strong philosophical arguments for simplicity or elegance of
> theories being diagnostic of truth, let's hear 'em...
> --Paul kube@berkeley.edu, ...!ucbvax!kube

Ockham's razor is a demand for parsimony of assumptions. Whether
or not one finds it compelling is a philosophic debate over which
much paper has been dirtied (and bits flipped.) But it is a
philosophic, as opposed to aesthetic, principle.

The term "simpler" is over-used and vague. In my original
posting, I made it clear that I was talking about two physical
theories which (a) had identical explanatory power and (b) one of
which required logically weaker physical assumptions (laws). In
short, the other theory is making physical assumptions that
provide no additional explanatory power. Since belief in physical
laws is justified (in many epistemologies) by reference to their
explanatory power (amongst other things), these extra assumptions
(putative laws) should be rejected. (This, of course, is just a
restatement of a strict version of Ockham's razor.)

Russell

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (08/13/87)

In article <8727@ut-sally.UUCP> turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) writes:
>Ockham's razor is a demand for parsimony of assumptions. Whether
>or not one finds it compelling is a philosophic debate over which
>much paper has been dirtied (and bits flipped.) But it is a
>philosophic, as opposed to aesthetic, principle.

How do you define philosophic?  In my neck of the woods, aesthetics is
philosophy.  Do you mean epistemologic?
--
(C) Copyright 1987 Laura Creighton - you may redistribute only if your
    recipients may.

	``One must pay dearly for immortality:  one has to die several
	times while alive.'' -- Nietzsche

Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura  utzoo!hoptoad!laura  sun!hoptoad!laura

yamo@orville (Michael J. Yamasaki) (08/13/87)

Greetings. Some random comments on recent issues:

All philosophy is not Western, nor is it logical, and certainly formal logic
is not the paramount of philosophy.  Please explain in the context of logic
the notion of no mind in Zen Buddhism or the Tao.  Are these not Philosophy?

Truth is not necessarily deduced truth, nor is it necessarily the result of
causality.  Beauty is as good a criteria for Truth, as deduction and
experimentation is for truth.

Science is a philosophy.  Philosophy encompasses science.  The bounds of
Truth are not found in science.  Explain what Truth
one can know from a singular unique event using science.
Is this not Nothing?

                                     -Yamo-
                                yamo@ames-nas.arpa

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (08/14/87)

In article <2495@ames.arpa> yamo@orville.UUCP (Michael J. Yamasaki) writes:

>Greetings. Some random comments on recent issues:
>
>All philosophy is not Western, nor is it logical, and certainly formal logic
>is not the paramount of philosophy.  Please explain in the context of logic
>the notion of no mind in Zen Buddhism or the Tao.  Are these not Philosophy?

Good Luck.  About 3 years ago, I spent a very frustrating time trying
to argue that there are philosophic aspects of any religion, and got
nowhere.  There were a small but very vocal number of people who were
convinced that Buddhism (any sort) was a religion, and required a
belief in a deity, and therefore was a superstition, and therefore
could be discounted.  I hope you do better.

>Truth is not necessarily deduced truth, nor is it necessarily the result of
>causality.  Beauty is as good a criteria for Truth, as deduction and
>experimentation is for truth.

I know what you mean, but you are running counter to the definitions
which I am using, where Truth is epistemological truth -- and thus
largely deduced Truth.  I have a three-legged stool model of reality,
where the first leg is (deduced) truth, and the other two are beauty
and (moral) goodness. If Truth is to mean the whole stool, do you have
another word for the deduced truth leg?
--
(C) Copyright 1987 Laura Creighton - you may redistribute only if your
    recipients may.

	``One must pay dearly for immortality:  one has to die several
	times while alive.'' -- Nietzsche

Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura  utzoo!hoptoad!laura  sun!hoptoad!laura

sarge@thirdi.UUCP (08/14/87)

I regret having to take issue with one who seems to support my assertion of the
importance of aesthetics in deciding which of alternate theories to accept.
BUT...

In article <2495@ames.arpa> yamo@orville.UUCP (Michael J. Yamasaki) writes:
>All philosophy is not Western, nor is it logical, and certainly formal logic
>is not the paramount of philosophy.  Please explain in the context of logic
>the notion of no mind in Zen Buddhism or the Tao.  Are these not Philosophy?

When you put it that way, I'd say "No. They are religion."  I think parts of
Buddhism are philosophical and -- guess what? -- these are the rational parts,
not the mystical parts.

I think it's important, too, to make a distinction between "illogical" and
"non-logical".  Just because something is non-logical doesn't mean it can't be
understood through rational means.  For instance, rabbits and planets are
non-logical, but reason and logic can be applied to understanding them (as well
as perception, which is also non-logical).  Fundamental assumptions and
perceptions cannot be argued for (ex hypothesi).  They are simply accepted for
non-logical reasons.  Since any body of knowledge rests on some sort of
assumptions, one could say that any knowledge has a non-logical base.  But that
doesn't mean its ILlogical.

I think philosophy may contain non-logical components, but I don't think it can
survive being ILlogical.

>Truth is not necessarily deduced truth, nor is it necessarily the result of
>causality.

Granted.  It may be perceived truth or -- possibly -- intuited truth.  I doubt
that that was ever in question.  I'm not sure I understand the part about
causality.  A priori truths (like mathematical truths) do not seem to be based
on causality, but you appear to be making some other point.

>Beauty is as good a criterion for Truth, as deduction and experimentation is
>for truth.

I would concur that it is a criterion; I wouldn't be so bold as to say that it
should have the same weight as experimentation and deduction, in scientific
pursuits, though it may have *greater* weight in artistic pursuits.  Is that
what you meant to imply by using "Truth" in one place and 'truth" in the
other?

>Science is a philosophy.

I don't agree with this assertion, because I see science as going after
empirical truths while philosophy goes after non-empirical truths (as in our
recent lengthy discussions of this topic).
--

turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) (08/14/87)

In article <2715@hoptoad.uucp>, laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) writes:
> > But it is a philosophic, as opposed to aesthetic, principle.
>
> How do you define philosophic?  In my neck of the woods, aesthetics is
> philosophy.  Do you mean epistemologic?
>
> Laura Creighton

Mea culpa. Thanks for correcting me.

Russell

feeder
.
.
.
feeder

ej150177@cisunx.UUCP (mukherji a) (08/26/87)

Expires:

In article <151@aiva.ed.ac.uk> jeff@uk.ac.ed.aiva (Jeff Dalton) writes:
>In article <2734@hoptoad.uucp> laura@hoptoad.UUCP (Laura Creighton) writes:
>> [...]  There were a small but very vocal number of people who were
>>convinced that Buddhism (any sort) was a religion, and required a
>>belief in a deity, and therefore was a superstition, [...]
>
>I wonder what they thought the deity was.  Presumably not the Buddha.
>
>By the way, there even seem to be interpretations of Christianity that
>do not involve belief in a deity in the usual sense: e.g., where "God"
>means the object of "ultimate concern".

I am not an expert on Buddhism, but at least in Mahayana Buddhism it
may not be very surprising for some to believe that the "deity" worshipped
was the Buddha, or at least the Bodhisattvas. In Tantric Buddhism there
are deities or at least demi-gods.

I was about to adduce the presence of jade etc. images of the Buddha
in countries such as Thailand to prove the point, when I  glanced at
the last paragrapg of Jeff's note and was reminded at the crucifixes
and Pietas I had at my R.C. [Jesuit] school in India: obviously such
evidence is far from conclusive!!

At any rate the non-deity version of Christianity probably comes from
attempts to "philosophise" the religion by grounding its religious
faith based doctrines on the pagan Greek philosophers. Clearly,
religion and philosophy, even when explicitly conbstructed to lead
to the same goal may be inconsistent : which do we take as the chara-
acterization?

Arijit Mukherji
ARIJIT@PITTVMS.bitnet