[sci.philosophy.tech] Religion and Philosophy

sarge@thirdi.UUCP (09/02/87)

In article <160200023@inmet> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:

>I seem to remember that Jim Jones's cult was actually quite secu-
>lar:  a  political movement and a utopian commune posing as reli-
>gion to get some breaks; they did not believe in any  deity.

As far as I know, they were quite Christian.  Other cults have done that,
however, so your point is well taken.

>Does  the movement's unreasonableness qualify it as a religion?
>Is any blind faith, however secular, religious? And  is  theology
>(often  logical  and rational in its methods) just a branch of
>philosophy?

No,  I think both philosophy and religion are systems that attempt to answer
fundamental questions or address fundamental issues in life, as you point
out.  So not any form of irrationality would suffice (like the "Rocky Horror
Picture Show" cult).  Perhaps Nazism could be considered a religion.  It
certainly was a cult.

>Religion tends to be more personal and more emotional

I don't think this will really work either.  Nietsche and Schopenhauer were
intensely emotional, while some forms of Hinduism and Yoga are quite
unemotional.  Also, the phenomenologists, as well as such notables as Pascal
and Descartes are intensely personal in their observations.  For me, philosophy
is very personal, because I think that it has bearing on my life.  But I don't
think that that makes philosophy a religion for me, any more than an emotional
or personal devotion to science makes one any less scientific.  Rather the
reverse.

>It  is  a  difference of degree and of style. Most important dis-
>tinctions cut across both religion and philosophy:  e.g.,  dogma-
>tism vs. independent inquiry; mysticism vs. rationalism; optimism
>vs. pessimism; theism as against deism,  pantheism,  atheism  and
>agnosticism.

I don't really think philosophy is dogmatic.  The philosophic spirit, as I
understand it, is one of free inquiry.  And I believe it tends to be rather
anti-mystical, so I don't think these really cut across.  Also, I think we
should decide more on the substance than on the style.  Both religionists and
philosophers have many styles.

>A comprehensive, emotionally satisfying philosophical  worldview,
>imbuing  a  community of followers - such as Marxism, Objectivism
>or Buddhism - has the properties of a religion, and, in the  case
>of  Buddhism,  has acquired the name, too.

Now I tend to agree with you about Buddhism.  It is much more of a philosophy
than a religion, and certainly more of a philosophy than Marxism.

>Lucretius expounds his
>materialism with a truly religious rapture, and  speaks  of  Epi-
>curus  as  one does of a prophet and a savior. True, Epicureanism
>never grew into an organized religion, but Stoicism,  Cynicism
>and Platonism, in a way, did - they were incorporated into Chris-
>tianity.

I admit there are borderline cases, where a mixture of rationality and
non-rationality abound.

I'm not at all sure that the criterion of rational-non rational is correct, but
I don't think, if not, that we have discovered what *is* correct.
--
"Absolute knowledge means never having to change your mind."

Sarge Gerbode
Institute for Research in Metapsychology
950 Guinda St.
Palo Alto, CA 94301
UUCP:  pyramid!thirdi!sarge