[sci.philosophy.tech] Foxes and Hedgehogs

janw@inmet.UUCP (01/18/88)

[firth@sei.cmu.edu.UUCP ]
>/* ---------- "Re: prickles and goo" ---------- */
>In article <1832@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>>An interesting passage from Alan Watts:
>>
>>"I have sometimes thought that all philosophical disputes could be
>>reduced to an argument between the partisans of 'prickles' and the
>>partisans of 'goo'...

>Joe, you might find this book useful

>	Isiah Berlin: The Fox and the Hedgehog

>	"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing"

>It is ostensibly an essay on Tolstoy's view of history, but most of its
>insights address exactly this division between categorists and syncretists,
>whom Berlin refers to as Foxes and Hedgehogs

>May your prickles never grow less...

I welcome this reminder of Berlin's interesting essay, but I  be-
lieve  the  distinction there is quite different from that in the
(no less welcome) Watts quote. It was the "hedgehog" side of Tol-
stoy that was "gooey" - or syncretist. However, Dante was the ar-
chetype of hedgehogs, according to  Berlin,  Dante  -  the  arch-
categorist,  a  definitely  "prickly" thinker. Shakespear was the
archetype *fox* (again, according to Berlin) - but he does not  fit
easily into the prickly-gooey dichotomy.

The "one big thing" of Dante was a  dogmatic,  strongly  categor-
ized,  rigidly  subdivided  picture of the moral universe. The "one big
thing" of Tolstoy was a syncretistic belief that all  people  and
faiths are, at bottom, the same, and all  knowledge  superfluous.
Tolstoy could fit in *.newage, Dante would've consigned it to In-
ferno.

On the other hand, Shakespear's (and Tostoy's in his *fox* aspect)
taste  for the richness of individual, unsystematized, disorderly
things of the world - overlapping but not reducible to each other
-  is  neither gooey nor prickly. Laughter and tears get mixed in
Shakespeare, bad guys like Shylock suddenly  grab  our  sympathy;
life  is  sometimes  called  a dream, or a theater play; but that
doesn't make him gooey.

The "fox" knows *many* things, knows them  to  be  *different*  -
therefore  is not gooey; but also knows *too many* to fit neatly
into categories - therefore isn't prickly.

			Jan Wasilewsky