[sci.philosophy.tech] Another flame from greg

greg@mind.UUCP (greg Nowak) (02/13/88)

In article <24268@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Barry Kort) writes:
}In article <264@pedsga.UUCP> lae@pedsga.UUCP (Leslie Ellis) writes:
}>>The good Christian should beware of mathematicians and all those who make
}>>empty prophecies.  The danger already exists that the mathematicians have
}>>made a covenant with the Devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in
}>>the bonds of Hell ...	    --Saint Augustine	   (heh heh heh)
}
}I bet he was being prophetic about Georg Cantor.

How times change. Hilbert said Cantor gave us Paradise.

--

                              greg

markh@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark William Hopkins) (02/14/88)

In article <1805@mind.UUCP> greg@mind.UUCP (greg Nowak) writes:
>In article <24268@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Barry Kort) writes:
>}In article <264@pedsga.UUCP> lae@pedsga.UUCP (Leslie Ellis) writes:
>}>>The good Christian should beware of mathematicians and all those who make
>}>>empty prophecies.  The danger already exists that the mathematicians have
>}>>made a covenant with the Devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in
>}>>the bonds of Hell ...	    --Saint Augustine	   (heh heh heh)
>}
>}I bet he was being prophetic about Georg Cantor.
>
>How times change. Hilbert said Cantor gave us Paradise.

One thing confuses me: I thought the Devil was Christian.

gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (02/18/88)

In article <4579@uwmcsd1.UUCP> markh@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark William Hopkins) writes:
}In article <1805@mind.UUCP> greg@mind.UUCP (greg Nowak) writes:
}}In article <24268@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Barry Kort) writes:
}}}In article <264@pedsga.UUCP> lae@pedsga.UUCP (Leslie Ellis) writes:
}}}}}The good Christian should beware of mathematicians and all those who make
}}}}}empty prophecies.  The danger already exists that the mathematicians have
}}}}}made a covenant with the Devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in
}}}}}the bonds of Hell ...	    --Saint Augustine	   (heh heh heh)
}}}
}}}I bet he was being prophetic about Georg Cantor.
}}
}}How times change. Hilbert said Cantor gave us Paradise.
}
}One thing confuses me: I thought the Devil was Christian.

Based on his deeds or his professed beliefs?

IU6@PSUVMA.BITNET (02/18/88)

In article <4579@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, markh@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark William Hopkins) says:

>In article <1805@mind.UUCP> greg@mind.UUCP (greg Nowak) writes:
>>In article <24268@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Barry Kort) writes:
>>}In article <264@pedsga.UUCP> lae@pedsga.UUCP (Leslie Ellis) writes:
>>}>>The good Christian should beware of mathematicians and all those who make
>>}>>empty prophecies.  The danger already exists that the mathematicians have
>>}>>made a covenant with the Devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in
>>}>>the bonds of Hell ...           --Saint Augustine      (heh heh heh)
>>}
>>}I bet he was being prophetic about Georg Cantor.
>>
>>How times change. Hilbert said Cantor gave us Paradise.
>
>One thing confuses me: I thought the Devil was Christian.

Who cares?  Pascal pointed out that "What goes beyond geometry goes beyond
man."

greg@mind.UUCP (greg Nowak) (02/20/88)

Here's a new idea some of you might like to toss around:

*To the extent that you are willing to accept Kant's classification*
of propositions as synthetic or analytic, a priori or a posteriori, do
you consider the Axiom of choice to be a synthetic a priori
proposition?

(I included my initial qualification to rule out a discussion of the
continuing validity of Kant's classification, a discussion that would
more properly belong in talk.philosophy.misc. Have the libertarians
left yet?)

--

                              greg