[sci.philosophy.tech] Classifying the Axiom of Choice

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (02/23/88)

My choice is to classify the Axiom of Choice as synthetic and
a posteriori.

--Barry Kort

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (02/23/88)

In article <25011@linus.UUCP>, bwk@mitre-bedford (Barry W. Kort) writes:
>My choice is to classify the Axiom of Choice as synthetic and
>a posteriori.

I favor analytic a posteriori, myself.  "analytic", since all mathematical
truths are, and "a posteriori", since AC is based on our derived perceptions
of sets.

[Oh Greg, I originally missed your article, thanks to the joys of `K'.]

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (02/23/88)

In article <7123@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
>In article <25011@linus.UUCP>, bwk@mitre-bedford (Barry W. Kort) writes:
>>My choice is to classify the Axiom of Choice as synthetic and
>>a posteriori.
>
>I favor analytic a posteriori, myself.  "analytic", since all mathematical
>truths are, and "a posteriori", since AC is based on our derived perceptions
>of sets.

Do I understand this correctly then that the Axiom of Choice is acceptable
to Christians, who are not bound by the Law, but not to Jews, since a posteriori
knowledge is proscribed in Leviticus?

Sorry about that :-)

.
.
.

Are the graves of dreams allowed to die.
	Richard Harter, SMDS  Inc.

greg@mind.UUCP (greg Nowak) (02/23/88)

}
}I favor analytic a posteriori, myself.  "analytic", since all mathematical
}truths are, and "a posteriori", since AC is based on our derived perceptions
}of sets.

I'm about to violate my own proscription against discussing the
Kantian philosophy behind the question. Most people agree that the
"analytic a posteriori" class of propositions is empty. Do you have
grounds independent of your consideration of AC for considering the
class non-empty?

Your argument is nonspecific to AC and can easily be extended to the
rest of mathematics. To the extent that Kant himself considered
geometry to be synthetic a priori, you may be using the terms
differently than Kant did. Are you?

--

                              greg

rapaport@sunybcs.uucp (William J. Rapaport) (02/23/88)

In article <7123@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:

>I favor analytic a posteriori, myself.  "analytic", since all mathematical
>truths are, and "a posteriori", since AC is based on our derived perceptions
>of sets.

I guess you've not read Kant.  All mathematical propositions are
synthetic apriori for him.  By that, I'd take the Axiom of Choice as
synthetic apriori, too.

					William J. Rapaport
					Assistant Professor

Dept. of Computer Science||internet:  rapaport@cs.buffalo.edu
SUNY Buffalo		 ||bitnet:    rapaport@sunybcs.bitnet
Buffalo, NY 14260	 ||uucp: {ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!rapaport
(716) 636-3193, 3180     ||

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (02/24/88)

In article <24871@cca.CCA.COM> g-rh@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Richard Harter) writes:
>Do I understand this correctly then that the Axiom of Choice is acceptable
>to Christians, who are not bound by the Law, but not to Jews, since a
>posteriori knowledge is proscribed in Leviticus?

Perhaps Richard believes that the Chosen People cannot also be the
Choosing People.  I choose to believe otherwise.  :-)

--Barry Kort

greg@mind.UUCP (greg Nowak) (02/24/88)

In article <8768@sunybcs.UUCP> rapaport@gort.UUCP (William J. Rapaport) writes:
}In article <7123@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
}>
}>I favor analytic a posteriori, myself.  "analytic", since all mathematical
}>truths are, and "a posteriori", since AC is based on our derived perceptions
}>of sets.
}
}I guess you've not read Kant.  All mathematical propositions are
}synthetic apriori for him.  By that, I'd take the Axiom of Choice as
}synthetic apriori, too.

This is taking the question perhaps too literally. After Kant,
developments in non-Euclidean geometry made it clear that geometry was
not synthetic a priori in the way that Kant thought it was. It's
pretty clear, pace Matthew's support of analytic a posteriori, that
mathematical propositions are either synthetic or analytic a priori.
Now that further research has moved geometry up to the level of
analytic propositions, the search for synthetic a priori propositions
moves on. If anyone is really interested, there's an article by
Michael Friedman in the 1985 volume of Philosophical Review on "Kant
and Geometry" that discusses the synthetic/analytic distinction quite
well.

--

                              greg

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (02/24/88)

In article <25121@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Barry Kort) writes:
>In article <24871@cca.CCA.COM> g-rh@CCA.CCA.COM.UUCP (Richard Harter) writes:
>>Do I understand this correctly then that the Axiom of Choice is acceptable
>>to Christians, who are not bound by the Law, but not to Jews, since a
>>posteriori knowledge is proscribed in Leviticus?
>
>Perhaps Richard believes that the Chosen People cannot also be the
>Choosing People.  I choose to believe otherwise.  :-)

	Nay, I was referring to the two forms of carnal knowledge,
a priori and a posteriori.  Upon reflection, it occurs to me that Jewish
physicists may not accept the axiom of choice because of the exclusion
principle.  However this would depend, I suppose, on whether they were
bosons or fermions.  Strangely enough, this point was neglected in my
education -- perhaps someone can enlighten us on this point.

:-)

hbe@math.ucla.edu (02/25/88)

In article <8768@sunybcs.UUCP> rapaport@gort.UUCP (William J. Rapaport) writes:
>I guess you [weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu} have not read Kant.  All mathematical
>propositions are synthetic apriori for him.  By that, I'd take the Axiom of
>Choice as synthetic apriori, too.

Kant's classification of mathematical truths as synthetic a priori seems
in light of Godel to be more wrong than right.  The a priori statements
form merely a recursively enumerable set, and hence cannot include even
all the true statements of arithmetic.  I think that the analytic
a posteriori is an unjustly neglected category in the philosophy of
mathematics.  I am not sure, however, that I want to put the axiom of
choice into it.

--Herb Enderton, hbe@math.ucla.edu

rar@DUCHAMPS (Bob Riemenschneider) (02/26/88)

=>   The a priori statements form merely a recursively enumerable set, ...
=>
=>   --Herb Enderton, hbe@math.ucla.edu

I don't see why this must be the case.  Mightn't (some) people come
equipped with knowledge of a more complicated set of truths, or with
knowledge of a non-effective rule of inference?

							-- rar

jserembu@sjuvax.UUCP (J. Serembus) (02/26/88)

Analytic a posteriori statements have received serious consideration in
philosophical circles.  Two philosophers of interest here would be
Saul Kripke and Hilary Putnam.  Check out Kripke's "Naming and Necessity".
--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------JOHN SEREMBUS
PHILOSOPHY DEP'T

greg@mind.UUCP (greg Nowak) (02/26/88)

In article <9734@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> hbe@math.ucla.edu (H. Enderton) writes:
>In article <8768@sunybcs.UUCP> rapaport@gort.UUCP (William J. Rapaport) writes:
>>I guess you [weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu have not read Kant.  All mathematical
>>propositions are synthetic apriori for him.  By that, I'd take the Axiom of
>>Choice as synthetic apriori, too.
>
>Kant's classification of mathematical truths as synthetic a priori seems
>in light of Godel to be more wrong than right.  The a priori statements
>form merely a recursively enumerable set, and hence cannot include even
>all the true statements of arithmetic.  I think that the analytic
>a posteriori is an unjustly neglected category in the philosophy of
>mathematics.  I am not sure, however, that I want to put the axiom of
>choice into it.

The "analytic a posteriori" category is neglected because it is EMPTY.
Anything which is analytic, i.e. true for semantic reasons, is a
priori (independent of experience) -- even if the terms refer to
objects we usually encounter with experience. Thus "all bachelors are
male" is an analytic a priori statement, because it is true by the
meanings of the words -- even though we DO have real-world experience
of males and bachelors, we NEED not to judge the truth of the
statement. "The sky is blue" is a synthetic a posteriori proposition,
because nothing in the definition of what a sky is requires it to be
blue. The suggestion about enumerating the set of propositions would
seem to be more applicable to the *analytic* propositions than the a
priori ones, thus strengthening the claim that there are synthetic a
priori propositions.

--

                              greg

hbe@math.ucla.edu (02/26/88)

In article <8802251655.AA06216@duchamps.ads.arpa> rar@DUCHAMPS (Bob Riemenschneider) writes:
>=>   The a priori statements form merely a recursively enumerable set, ...

>I don't see why this must be the case.  Mightn't (some) people come
>equipped with knowledge of a more complicated set of truths, or with
>knowledge of a non-effective rule of inference?

For us to *know* a truth of arithmetic, we'll need to see some
effectively verifiable supporting argument--a proof.  If the set
of acceptable proofs is decidable (or even r.e.), then the set
of provable statements is r.e.  Here we are considering not simply
proofs according to some fixed rules, but arguments that could
*ever* be accepted (in theory) by human mathematicians.  Even so,
this still seems to lead to an r.e. set.

To "know" that Fermat's last theorem is true, it's not enough to
believe it and state it.  You need a supporting reason I can check.

--H. Enderton, hbe@ucla.math.edu

markh@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark William Hopkins) (02/26/88)

In article <8802251655.AA06216@duchamps.ads.arpa> rar@DUCHAMPS (Bob Riemenschneider) writes:
>=>   The a priori statements form merely a recursively enumerable set, ...
>=>
>=>   --Herb Enderton, hbe@math.ucla.edu
>
>I don't see why this must be the case.  Mightn't (some) people come
>equipped with knowledge of a more complicated set of truths, or with
>knowledge of a non-effective rule of inference?

Yes, me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What difference does it make what we call the axiom of choice?  All sets
are finite anyway.

jserembu@sjuvax.UUCP (J. Serembus) (02/29/88)

    Greg,

	How would you classify the following the following proposition:

	"Water is H2O."?

	It certainly seems to be one gotten from experience and thus
a posteriori; yet there also seems to be something necessary about it, hence
analytic.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------JOHN SEREMBUS
PHILOSOPHY DEP'T

rar@DUCHAMPS (Bob Riemenschneider) (03/01/88)

=>   For us to *know* a truth of arithmetic, we'll need to see some
=>   effectively verifiable supporting argument--a proof.  If the set
=>   of acceptable proofs is decidable (or even r.e.), then the set
=>   of provable statements is r.e.  Here we are considering not simply
=>   proofs according to some fixed rules, but arguments that could
=>   *ever* be accepted (in theory) by human mathematicians.  Even so,
=>   this still seems to lead to an r.e. set.
=>
=>   To "know" that Fermat's last theorem is true, it's not enough to
=>   believe it and state it.  You need a supporting reason I can check.
=>
=>   --H. Enderton, hbe@ucla.math.edu

Although this sort of foundationalist view of knowledge has been
pretty thoroughly discredited, I can see how it might remain
attractive when restricted to mathematics.  I can also see that the
"socially knowable" arithemetic truths are r.e., given some unstated
assumptions having to do with the possible future evolution of
mathematics and mathematicians (and, of course, Church's thesis).

Perhaps my memory's faulty, but I thought you had claimed that the set
of all a priori truths was r.e.  Do you belive that your argument
generalizes, or that all a priori truths are mathematical?

Finally, I found the use of `us' and `we' in the reply interesting.
Was this meant to exclude the possibility of private mathematical
knowledge?  E.g., suppose Godel walked into your office--it turns out
that he didn't die, he just wanted people to leave him alone--and
claimed that, on close inspection of the natural numbers, he perceived
that Fermat's last theorem is true.  On questioning him, it turns out
that he can supply no supporting reason that you can check--he says
that he knows it on the basis of observation.  (Mystical Platonists of
Godel's ilk--for some reason, a lot of the set theorists of my
acquaintance seem to fall into this category--draw a clear distinction
between "I know" and "I can prove".)  Do you really want to claim that
it cannot be the case that he knows it because he cannot prove it?

							-- rar

markh@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark William Hopkins) (03/02/88)

In article <1186@sjuvax.UUCP> jserembu@sjuvax.UUCP (J. Serembus) writes:

>    Greg,
>
>	How would you classify the following the following proposition:
>
>	"Water is H2O."?

As a mere consequence of a convention concerning the naming of chemical
compounds.  It's all conventional.

greg@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Gregory Nowak) (03/03/88)

writes:
> Greg,
>	How would you classify the following the
following proposition:
>	"Water is H2O."?
	It certainly seems to be one gotten from experience and thus
>a posteriori; yet there also seems to be something necessary about it, hence
>analytic.

H2O is a chemical compound of three atoms; water is a substance I'm
familiar with from everyday experience. If I introduce a spark into a
combination of hydrogen and oxygen, a substance will be produced, but
I have no way of knowing that it's "water" unless I check. Conversely,
none of my experiences of water lead me to conclude that it HAS to be
formed of molecules which have two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom
each. I would consider this statement to be synthetic a posteriori.  I
suppose I question the assertion that necessary truths are necessarily
analytic, and there are some people who have the same doubts about
Kripke.  (He's in Princeton; maybe I'll go ask him.) I would take as
an example of a necessary analytic truth the fact that I am not a
nonexistent colorless green dream; as an example of a necessary
synthetic truth the fact that the speed of light is 298XXX (I forget
the last three digits) meters per second. (We've defined the meter so
this is true.)

torkel@sics.se (Torkel Franzen) (03/04/88)

In article <9759@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> hbe@math.ucla.edu (H. Enderton) writes:

>For us to *know* a truth of arithmetic, we'll need to see some
>effectively verifiable supporting argument--a proof.  If the set
>of acceptable proofs is decidable (or even r.e.), then the set
>of provable statements is r.e.  Here we are considering not simply
>proofs according to some fixed rules, but arguments that could
>*ever* be accepted (in theory) by human mathematicians.  Even so,
>this still seems to lead to an r.e. set.

  It makes little sense to say or suppose that "the set of acceptable
proofs" is or is not decidable or r.e., for there is no such set. The same is
true of "the set of provable statements". "Acceptable proof" is
not a concept with a determinate extension, any more than "definable
set". (As opposed to "proof in the formal system S", "definable in the
formal language L".)

  The idea expressed in the quoted passage crops up here and there in the
philosophical literature. Thus e.g. Putnam:

      ...the statements that can be proved from axioms which are
      evident to us can only be a recursively enumerable set
      (unless an infinite number of irreducibly different
      principles are at least potentially evident to the human
      mind, a supposition I find quite incredible).

Why are such arguments inconclusive? Well, first, if a principle is not
formal, its consequences do not form a recursively enumerable set.
Informal principles have no definite set of consequences at all, but
only applications (formal principles among them) which are more or less
direct, far-fetched, imaginative, convincing, etc. Mach's principle and
the set-theoretic reflection principle ("anything true in the universe is
true in some set") are examples of such informal principles. In the same
vein one may object that there is no definite number at all of principles
potentially evident to the human mind, any more than there is a definite
number of potential scientific theories or works of art. Finally, it
seems only too likely that any principle at all is potentially
a c c e p t a b l e to the human mind. The distinction between what is
evident and what is merely accepted is dubious when applied to
hypothetical principles.

  It is of course possible to take the view that there nevertheless i s
a determinate concept of "proof", "valid argument", "conclusive
reasoning" in terms of which it makes good sense to suppose that
"the set of provable statements" is or is not recursively enumerable.
This very problematic view is held by some in the philosophy of
mathematics.

george@scirtp.UUCP (Geo. R. Greene, Jr.) (03/19/88)

>     Greg,
>
> 	How would you classify the following the following proposition:
>
> 	"Water is H2O."?
>

> 	It certainly seems to be one gotten from experience and thus
> a posteriori; yet there also seems to be something necessary about it, hence
> analytic.

I would classify it as false.  One pair of counterexamples leaps
immediately to mind.  Ice is not normally called water; neither is steam.
"Water" is a colloquial term, H2O a technical one.
To those who would object that since, even colloquially,
ice is frozen water,  ice must be water, I would answer simply that
in any situation where both frozen and non-frozen water are
alternatives, nobody except MAYBE your neighborhood hyper-pedantic
philosopher is going to ask you to choose between frozen and
non-frozen water.  You are going to be asked to choose between
ice and water.  As though never the twain had met.
Water is non-frozen and non-heat-vaporized BY DEFAULT.

"Is" is one of the most overloaded words in the language.
Sometimes it means equality, sometimes it means subsetting
(Bats are mammals), sometimes it means set membership
(My pet is A Bat); sometimes it's about holes & pegs
(My house is at 5 Fifth St.); sometimes it's just
an auxiliary verb (The temperature is rising).

The prototypical analytic statement is
(A & B) ==> A	,
i.e., its truth is deducible just from analyzing its parts
and noticing that what is concluded is "part of" what has
"already" been hypothesized.

An interesting consequence of this is that all statements
regarding explicitly exhibited substrings are analytically
true or false (i.e., by inspection).

There is a second class of analytic statements
involving stipulated definitions and abbreviations
(Bachelors are unmarried men).  "'Water' means liquid H2O"
is clearly one of those.

An interesting consequence of the analyticity of statements
like "The first letter of the string 'AB' is 'A'" is
that they invite us into the analytic a posteriori; I mean,
it is kind of ridiculous to say that we knew the first
letter of 'AB' would be 'A' prior to observing or experiencing
'AB', or that we understood strings as a concept prior to
experience or theorizing.

There is an excellent case to be made for the position
that while some things have to be stipulated prior
to other things' being discussed (e.g., an alphabet
in which to conduct the discussion, a number of truth-
values that sentences can have), there is
NOTHING that has to be a priori.
--
Benchley's Distinction:
	There are two types of people in the world--

rmpinchback@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Reid M. Pinchback) (04/05/88)

In article <1190@scirtp.UUCP> george@scirtp.UUCP (Geo. R. Greene, Jr.) writes:

>>     Greg,
>>
>> 	How would you classify the following the following proposition:
>>
>> 	"Water is H2O."?
>>

>> 	It certainly seems to be one gotten from experience and thus
>> a posteriori; yet there also seems to be something necessary about it, hence
>> analytic.
>
>I would classify it as false.  One pair of counterexamples leaps
>immediately to mind.  Ice is not normally called water; neither is steam.
>"Water" is a colloquial term, H2O a technical one.

  Is this, perhaps, a confusion between the sense and reference of a
term?  "Water" and "H2O" may not connote the same thing, but they do
denote the same thing.

  Aside from that, if you want some really disgusting confusion of the
a priori/a posteriori distinction (which has been chucked out for quite
some time as a false dichotomy), try Kant's approach.  He proposed a
system where by there existed not only purely analytic and synthetic
knowledge, but analytic/synthetic and synthetic/analytic.  (Maybe this
was partly why philosophers are inclined to discount this dichotomy?).

       Reid M. Pinchback