[sci.philosophy.tech] Suggested Reading: Analytic/Synthetic Dichotomy

B2H@PSUVMA.BITNET (Brian W. Hart) (04/06/88)

   I was browsing this news group when I noticed a discussion about whether
"Water is H2O" is an analytic or synthetic statement.

   I have recently been reading many of Ayn Rand's books, and I thought that
perhaps some of you might like to read what L. Piekov (sp?) has to say on
the subject of the Analytic/Synthetic Dichotomy.  His essay on the problem
can be found in Rand's book _An Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology_.

   Piekov (sp?) contends that there is no such Dichotomy since all definitions
actually cover all characteristics of a concept in the context of man's
knowledge.  He states that since definitions cover *all* characteristics, not
just the general characteristics found in dictionaries, etc., a dichotomy is
not possible within the context of man's knowledge.

   For example, the statement "Water is H2O" would be analytic, since one of
the characteristics of water (in the context of man's entire knowledge) is
that it is formed by the combination of two H atoms and one O atom.  Thus,
the statement evaluates effectively to "H2O is H2O" which is obviously
analytic.

   Piekov (sp?), however, presents his argument in a much more detailed and
structured manner, and I recommend that you read it before you crucify me
for leaving out details, etc.

turpin@ut-sally.UUCP (Russell Turpin) (04/07/88)

In article <38334B2H@PSUVMA>, B2H@PSUVMA.BITNET (Brian W. Hart) writes:
>    I have recently been reading many of Ayn Rand's books, and I thought that
> perhaps some of you might like to read what L. Piekov (sp?) has to say on
> the subject of the Analytic/Synthetic Dichotomy. ...

>    Piekov (sp?) contends that there is no such Dichotomy since all definitions
> actually cover all characteristics of a concept in the context of man's
> knowledge.  He states that since definitions cover *all* characteristics, not
> just the general characteristics found in dictionaries, etc., a dichotomy is
> not possible within the context of man's knowledge.

>    For example, the statement "Water is H2O" would be analytic, since one of
> the characteristics of water (in the context of man's entire knowledge) is
> that it is formed by the combination of two H atoms and one O atom.  Thus,
> the statement evaluates effectively to "H2O is H2O" which is obviously
> analytic.

What Piekov does (as you describe) is simply to change the
question under discussion, unfortunately without stating that he
is doing so or why he thinks the classical question(s) shouldn't
be answered. By shifting the meaning of definition away from
"defining characteristics" and toward "all we know about
something", he bypasses (and misses the point of) the
analytic/synthetic distinction. But ignoring the question doesn't
cause it to go away. There is a difference in kind between
the following two pieces of knowledge:

	"A triangle's angles sum to 180 degrees", and

	"Reagan was elected US president in 1980",

even though "the man who was elected US president in 1980" is, in
some sense, a sufficient defining characteristic of Ronald Reagan.

It is true that many philosophical advances are often the result
of changing the questions that are asked. But before this is
considered an advance, what is desired is an explanation of why
the old question is misleading, futile, or misconcieved and why
the new question is more appropriate. Simply shifting the
question, without addressing the old concerns, is nowadays
considered shoddy philosophy.

In bypassing, rather than addressing, various philosophical
questions, Leonard Piekov (isn't there an "h" somewhere in his
name?) is following in the footsteps of his teacher, Ayn Rand.
(He is also riding on her coattails, but that is another story.)

For example, at least since Descartes's "cogito", people have
wondered about any statement which seems to undermine the basis
of or purpose for making the statement.  These are sometimes
called performative contradictions. Ayn Rand "solves" this
problem by creating a new "logical fallacy": the "fallacy of the
stolen concept". The problem with this is that there is no such
logical fallacy, and I seriously doubt that a successful logic
can be formalized that highlights such a "fallacy". The whole
issue is tied to self-reference, which has been a knotty problem
in the development of logic, and also to the meaning and purpose
of dialogue, a problem that is (currently) outside the realm of
formal logic.

Before Rand even escaped Russia, Russell was working on the
problem of self-reference. Why did Rand not read his work
(amongst others'), enabling her to add to the serious dialog on
the problem? There are many reasons, of which I will mention two.

(1) Rand didn't really take most philosophers, or most
philosophical questions, seriously. She was only interested in
philosophizing to the extent necessary to justify her "sense of
life" and her egoistic ethics. Thus, when she claims that her
philosophical thought is influenced only by Aristotle and
Aquinas, she is almost speaking the truth. She simply didn't read
much philosophy. (I say "almost speaking the truth" because she
was also influenced by Nietzsche, but later decided she didn't
like him, so stopped acknowledging his influence. This is ironic,
since his influence is much more visible in her work than that of
Aquinas.)

(2) She never developed the technical skills required to add to
the corpus of serious philosophy. Despite early mathetical
prowess, and a great concern with "logic", she never really
developed the ability to deal with formal questions.

Often the followers of Rand, or even just those of us who have
seen something worthwhile in her writings, are puzzled by the
fact that she is almost totally ignored by the philosophical
community. (Yes, I know about Rasmussen's book, and Nozick's
acknowledgements, but two books and a few mentions in prefaces to
books hardly constitutes much attention.) The reason for this
lack of attention is not any cabalistic stance on the part of
philosophers, but rather the fact that Rand just completely and
utterly failed to do the things that would bring her into the
community. One could credit this as a sign of exceptional
individual achievement, except that it is not clear that she
achieved much as a philosopher, as opposed to her obvious
achievements as a novelist and a visionary. To those who would
contend otherwise, I ask one question: what new knowledge has she
wrought?

Russell