[sci.philosophy.tech] request for philosophic reactions to connectionism

maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) (04/21/89)

From article <370@eurtrx.UUCP>, by hans@eurtrx.UUCP (Hans Schermer):

> Can anyone out there give me a hand?
> I am looking for philosophical papers, books or articles, with reactions
> to connectionism as a model for the mind.

The revised (paperback) edition of _Mind Over Machine_ by Hubert & Stuart
Dreyfus would be a good place to begin.  It's published by the Free Press,
which is a division of Macmillan.  The original (hardcover) edition of this
book appeared before connectionism was a hot item, but the revised edition
takes connectionism into account.

--
CSNet   : maner@research1.bgsu.edu             | 419/372-8719
InterNet: maner@research1.bgsu.edu (129.1.1.2) | BGSU CS Dept

zqli@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Zhenqin Li) (04/21/89)

A whole issue (Vol. XXVI, 1987) of "The Southern Journal of Philosophy"
(published by the Philosophy Dept of Memphis State Univ, Memphis, TN 38152),
is dedicated to philosophical discussions of Connectionism. Having not
spent time on the subject, I can not make judgements. The lists of references
there, however, seem to be extensive.

rapaport@sunybcs.uucp (William J. Rapaport) (04/21/89)

In article <370@eurtrx.UUCP> hans@eurtrx.UUCP (Hans Schermer) writes:

>I am looking for philosophical papers, books or articles, with reactions
>to connectionism as a model for the mind.

Try:

Horgan, Terence, & Tienson, John (eds.), _Connectionism and the
Philosophy of Mind:  Spindel Conference 1987_, in _Southern Journal of
Philosophy_, Vol. 26 supplement (1987).

Available from SJP, Dept. of Phil., Memphis State U., Memphis, TN 38152.

			William J. Rapaport
			Associate Professor of Computer Science
			Co-Director, Graduate Group in Cognitive Science
			Interim Director, Graduate Research Initiative
                       	                  in Cognitive and Linguistic Sciences

Dept. of Computer Science||internet:  rapaport@cs.buffalo.edu
SUNY Buffalo		 ||bitnet:    rapaport@sunybcs.bitnet
Buffalo, NY 14260	 ||uucp: {decvax,watmath,rutgers}!sunybcs!rapaport
(716) 636-3193, 3180     ||fax:  (716) 636-3464

myke@gatech.edu (Myke Rynolds) (04/21/89)

Hans Schermer writes:
>I am looking for philosophical papers, books or articles, with reactions
>to connectionism as a model for the mind.

I think that BAMs (bi-direction associative memories) and it's conceptual
parent, ART (adaptive resonance theory) give a profound critique of the
connectionist models. Grossberg, the inventer of ART way back in '76, goes
into great detail about how nothing anyone in the connectist school of thought
has said is new, or even as powerful as what already exists! ART is proven
to converge on any complexity of input, no connectionist model can claim this.
They can learn only by limiting the complexity of the input, thus the failure
of bp to deal with large and complex systems.
For all its greater power, it is much much simpliar than these other models
that cloud the issue with ad hoc hockus pockus. Grossberg's model is nothing
more than matrix multiplication. You take a vector forward through a weight
matrix, then take it backwards through it. When it resonates on the correct
answer you're done. The most obvious way to get a weight matrix to satisfy
this problem on a series of such vectors is to stack them in a matrix and
do linear algebra. Walla!
An article on BAMs can be found in a Byte from last year.
BTW, Grossberg has three Ph.D's, two of which are in math and neurophysiology.
Connectionists are generally psychologists and computer scientists who do not
appreciate the deeper simplicity of math under the outer tremendous diversity.
--
Myke Rynolds
School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

jha@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Jamie Andrews) (04/21/89)

In article <4034@bgsuvax.UUCP> maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) writes:
>The revised (paperback) edition of _Mind Over Machine_ by Hubert & Stuart
>Dreyfus would be a good place to begin...
>...  The original (hardcover) edition of this
>book appeared before connectionism was a hot item, but the revised edition
>takes connectionism into account.

     You mean they added a couple of chapters simplistically
trashing connectionism the way they simplistically trash the
rest of AI?  Terrific.

--Jamie, who has been in a bad mood all day
  jha@lfcs.ed.ac.uk
"Gonna melt them down for pills and soap"

kortge@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Chris Kortge) (04/21/89)

In article <18496@gatech.edu> myke@gatech.UUCP (Myke Rynolds) writes:

>I think that BAMs (bi-direction associative memories) and it's conceptual
>parent, ART (adaptive resonance theory) give a profound critique of the
>connectionist models. Grossberg, the inventer of ART way back in '76, goes
>into great detail about how nothing anyone in the connectist school of thought
>has said is new, or even as powerful as what already exists! ART is proven
>to converge on any complexity of input, no connectionist model can claim this.
>They can learn only by limiting the complexity of the input, thus the failure
>of bp to deal with large and complex systems.

Hold on a second!  Why is it, then, that people are using
back-propagation learning on most practical applications?  I agree that
bp has trouble with large systems, but it's important to look at the
*results* of the learning process, too.  BP can learn distributed
representations, which have advantages over strictly categorical ones,
which is what ART learns.  More importantly, since BP does supervised
learning, its internal representation is automatically suited to the
task at hand; ART is unsupervised, and thus it's categories are not
necessarily useful for facilitating the required outputs.

>For all its greater power, [ART] is much much simpliar than these other models
>that cloud the issue with ad hoc hockus pockus. Grossberg's model is nothing
>more than matrix multiplication. [...]

Then why can't I understand his papers?  (Don't answer that :-))
Most likely, it's because I'm a connectionist, and

>Connectionists are generally psychologists and computer scientists who do not
>appreciate the deeper simplicity of math under the outer tremendous diversity.

Well, be patient with us, okay?

Chris Kortge
kortge@psych.stanford.edu

dhw@itivax.iti.org (David H. West) (04/22/89)

In article <370@eurtrx.UUCP> hans@eurtrx.UUCP (Hans Schermer) writes:

>Can anyone out there give me a hand?
>I am looking for philosophical papers, books or articles, with reactions
>to connectionism as a model for the mind.

Huh?  Connectionism can't *be* a model for the mind.  It might be a
good way to *implement* certain models of the mind, or even a
heuristic criterion for evaluating such models ("must map easily to
hardware of this general nature").  But it doesn't relieve us of the
task of coming up with the models separately.

-David West            dhw@itivax.iti.org
		       {uunet,rutgers,ames}!sharkey!itivax!dhw
COMPIS, Industrial Technology Institute, PO Box 1485,
Ann Arbor, MI 48106

mbkennel@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Matthew B. Kennel) (04/22/89)

In article <18496@gatech.edu> myke@gatech.UUCP (Myke Rynolds) writes:

>I think that BAMs (bi-direction associative memories) and it's conceptual
>parent, ART (adaptive resonance theory) give a profound critique of the
>connectionist models. Grossberg, the inventer of ART way back in '76, goes
>into great detail about how nothing anyone in the connectist school of thought
>has said is new, or even as powerful as what already exists! ART is proven
>to converge on any complexity of input, no connectionist model can claim this.
>They can learn only by limiting the complexity of the input, thus the failure
>of bp to deal with large and complex systems.
>For all its greater power, it is much much simpliar than these other models
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>that cloud the issue with ad hoc hockus pockus. Grossberg's model is nothing
>more than matrix multiplication. You take a vector forward through a weight
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>matrix, then take it backwards through it. When it resonates on the correct
>answer you're done. The most obvious way to get a weight matrix to satisfy
>this problem on a series of such vectors is to stack them in a matrix and
>do linear algebra. Walla!
    ^^^^^^
    Voila!

That's exactly the point.  For linear problems, than I have no doubt that
classical algorithms (linear systems of equations) should work better than
gradient descent (BP), with the whole shebang of nice rigorous results, but
the whole point is that back-prop tries to learn general non-linear
transformations that AREN'T matrix multiplications.
For some kinds of associative memory something like ART
may be fine, but associative memory isn't the whole story.  It's
generalization (i.e. high-dimensional interpolation) which is the the most
interesting aspect of multi-layer perceptrons.

Can something like a BAM network be more efficient than an "encoder"
type of perceptron in terms of the number of connections?

>An article on BAMs can be found in a Byte from last year.
>BTW, Grossberg has three Ph.D's, two of which are in math and neurophysiology.
>Connectionists are generally psychologists and computer scientists who do not
>appreciate the deeper simplicity of math under the outer tremendous diversity.

I've never been able to discern the deeper simplicity of math in any ART paper
that I've seen (which is very few, I must admit); back-prop is

>--
>Myke Rynolds
>School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
>uucp:	...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!myke
>Internet:	myke@gatech.edu

Matt Kennel
mbkennel@phoenix.princeton.edu

myke@gatech.edu (Myke Rynolds) (04/22/89)

At portia?! Hey, do you know Paul Gunnels?
Chris Kortge writes:
|Myke Rynolds writes:
||I think that BAMs (bi-direction associative memories) and it's conceptual
||parent, ART (adaptive resonance theory) give a profound critique of the
||connectionist models. Grossberg, the inventer of ART way back in '76, goes
||into great detail about how nothing anyone in the connectist school of thought
||has said is new, or even as powerful as what already exists! ART is proven
||to converge on any complexity of input, no connectionist model can claim this.
||They can learn only by limiting the complexity of the input, thus the failure
||of bp to deal with large and complex systems.
|Hold on a second!  Why is it, then, that people are using
|back-propagation learning on most practical applications?
Good question. Maybe its fad?

|I agree that
|bp has trouble with large systems, but it's important to look at the
|*results* of the learning process, too.  BP can learn distributed
|representations, which have advantages over strictly categorical ones,
|which is what ART learns.
False! ART learns internal reps. Both BP and ART generate their own internal
reps (for no good reason in my opinion), but BAMs simply associate input
vectors with output vectors.

|More importantly, since BP does supervised
|learning, its internal representation is automatically suited to the
|task at hand; ART is unsupervised, and thus it's categories are not
|necessarily useful for facilitating the required outputs.
But unless the superviser is omniscient, it doesn't know when to stop being
plastic to prevent memory washout. ART does not suffer from this. The lack
of need for a superviser is not a weakness, it is a tremendous advantage!

||For all its greater power, [ART] is much much simpliar than these other models
||that cloud the issue with ad hoc hockus pockus. Grossberg's model is nothing
||more than matrix multiplication. [...]
|
|Then why can't I understand his papers?  (Don't answer that :-))
|Most likely, it's because I'm a connectionist, and
Cuz the man is lost in his own little world. However, hes not being swept along
by any mobs either.

||Connectionists are generally psychologists and computer scientists who do not
||appreciate the deeper simplicity of math under the outer tremendous diversity.
|
|Well, be patient with us, okay?
Ok, as long as y'all see the light soon!
--

aarons@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Aaron Sloman) (05/01/89)

hans@eurtrx.UUCP (Hans Schermer) writes:

> Date: 20 Apr 89 10:40:46 GMT
>
> Can anyone out there give me a hand?
> I am looking for philosophical papers, books or articles, with reactions
> to connectionism as a model for the mind.
> I would be interested in texts discussing representationalism, (sub)symbolic
> representations, materialism, and other philosophical subjects that could be
> influenced by a connectionist theory of the mind.
> .....etc.....

Here's my pennyworth.

I am amazed when people try to produce philosophical arguments to
show that connectionist models are superior, or inferior, to other
kinds of AI models of mental processes.

Instead of getting involved in these silly disputes, people should
try to understand the rich multiplicity of function of the human
mind and try to see what kinds of architectures might account for
that multiplicity, and what kinds of mechanisms are capable of
fitting in to those architectures in order to fulfil the roles
required.

For example the mechanisms required for low level vision are likely
to be somewhat different from the mechanisms used in multiplying 395
by 11 in your head. Both are likely to be different from (though
they may overlap with) the mechanisms involved in associative
retrieval of stored memories on the basis of partial matches ("Suzie
had a little goat" Yes? No? who had what then?) Then there is our
ability to store and retrieve intricate detail exactly, as when we
memorize a long poem or a piano sonata.

Different again must be the mechanisms by which new motives
(desires, fears, wishes, and the like) are generated (by physical
needs, by perceiving something in the environment, by thinking about
past events or future possibilities etc). These motives, in turn,
interact in many intricate ways with other motives, beliefs,
percepts, personality traits, etc. Some, but not all,
motives(desires) become intentions. ("Yes, I will try to get ...."
or "That is very tempting, but I mustn't...").

Planning processes sometimes arise out of intentions ("Now, how can
I get that box open. Perhaps I can borrow a crow-bar from Jim,
though I'll have to offer him something in return, he's so
mean...Now where can I find him. His wife will know..."). But
sometimes intentions directly interact with percepts to generate
behaviour controlled by tight feedback loops (like bringing your car
to a gentle stop just at the traffic lights).

Some kinds of abilities seem to encompass a finite or fixed
dimensional range of possibilities (e.g. the set of ways of moving
your arm so that your forefinger moves quickly in a smooth path from
touching one thing to touching another?) whereas other abilities
involve a kind of generative competence that implies unbounded
complexity, at least in principle, (e.g. the set of algebraic
expressions you can evaluate).

There are very many different kinds of learning, training,
development, improvement. Some kinds of actions can be achieved
perfectly once you know what to do (long division). Others require
training or tuning of low level mechanisms, in ways that are very
hard to understand (coaxing a beautiful tone out of a violin).

Some things are inaccessible to consciousness normally yet can
become accessible after appropriate training, such as the use of
grammatical categories in producing or understanding language. (One
kind of philosophical training is concerned with this kind of
heightened awareness. Compare learning phonetics.)

We can do some things in parallel (walking and talking, listening
and looking, enjoying a meal and a view, or seeing the different
ballet dancers that form an intricate and changing pattern), yet
others are difficult or impossible, like reciting two poems in your
head at once.

Some things are easily reversed (sing a high note and swoop down to
a low note - then do it in reverse) but others not (recite a poem
then say it backwards).

Some kinds of mental processes are transformed by alcohol and other
drugs, and some not. E.g. alcohol (in relatively small doses) may
alter what you will agree to do, but it probably won't change the
semantic interpretation you give to "The cat sat on the mat".

There are many far more detailed requirements for explanatory
mechanisms. It seems to me absurd to argue over whether either
connectionist models or conventionalist AI models provide better
theories of the nature of mind when it is patently clear both are
still miles away from accounting for more than highly simplified
versions of tiny fragments of human ability.

Instead of silly squabbles we need to work both top-down (collecting
requirements for adequate models and explanations), and bottom up
(trying to investigate different kinds of mechanisms and finding out
what can and cannot be achieved by putting them together in
different ways).

It seems very likely that the final story (if we ever find it) will
involve many different kinds of mechanisms put together in a complex
variety of ways. Attempts to do it all using one kind of technique
(Production systems, Logic, PDP mechanisms) will then just look
silly.

Aaron Sloman,
School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences,
Univ of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9QN, England
    INTERNET: aarons%uk.ac.sussex.cogs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
              aarons%uk.ac.sussex.cogs%nsfnet-relay.ac.uk@relay.cs.net
    JANET     aarons@cogs.sussex.ac.uk
    BITNET:   aarons%uk.ac.sussex.cogs@uk.ac
        or    aarons%uk.ac.sussex.cogs%ukacrl.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
    UUCP:     ...mcvax!ukc!cogs!aarons
            or aarons@cogs.uucp

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) (05/03/89)

All of this discussion on 'models of mind' already presupposes that
the question of 'what mechanisms underlie the workings of the mind?'
is a coherent one.  I would like to ask: precisely what question could
possibly be answered by the 'discovery' of the actual mechanism by
which 'the mind' operates, and just what makes us think that 'the
mind' or psychological predicates 'refer' to mental processes?

Now, yes, I know that there is a very deep-rooted tradition in
psychology (generally carried on by cognitive science) that treats
psychological verbs as referring to actual mental processes, but
evidence do we have for treating them as such?  Intuition?  Empirical
evidence that is unmitigated?  Careful philosophical scrutiny of the
very concepts these psychological verbs deal with?
--
York University       Department of Philosophy       Toronto, Ontario, Canada
 "Don't, _for_heaven's_sake_, be afraid of talking nonsense!  But you

coggins@coggins.cs.unc.edu (Dr. James Coggins) (05/03/89)

> Can anyone out there give me a hand?
> I am looking for philosophical papers, books or articles, with reactions
> to connectionism as a model for the mind.
> I would be interested in texts discussing representationalism, (sub)symbolic
> representations, materialism, and other philosophical subjects that could be
> influenced by a connectionist theory of the mind.
> .....etc.....

My assessment of the neural net area is as follows:
(consider these Six Theses nailed to the church door)

1. NNs are a parallel implementation technique that shows promise for
making perceptual processes run in real time.

2. There is nothing in the NN work that is fundamentally new except
as a fast implementation.  Their ability to learn incrementally from
a series of samples nice but not new.  The way they learn and make
decisions is decades old and first arose in communication theory,
then was further developed in statistical pattern recognition.

3. The claims that NNs are fundamentally new are founded on ignorance
of statistical pattern recognition or on simplistic views of the
nature of statistical pattern recognition.  I have heard supposedly
competent people working in NNs claim that statistical pattern
recognition is based on assumptions of Gaussian distributions which
are not required in NNs, therefore NNs are fundamentally different.
This is ridiculous.  Statistical pattern recognition is not bound to
Gaussians, and NNs do, most assuredly, incorporate distributional
assumptions in their decision criteria.

4. A more cynical view that I do not fully embrace says that the main
function of "Neural Networks" is as a label for money.  It is a flag
you wave to attract money dispensed by people who are interested in
the engineering of real-time perceptual processing and who are
ignorant of statistical pattern recognition and therefore the lack of
substance of the neural net field.

5. Neural nets raise lots of engineering questions but little science.
Much of the excitement they have raised is based on uncritical
acceptance of "neat" demos and ignorance. As such, the area resembles
a religion more than a science.

6. The "popularity" of neural net research is a consequence of the
miserable mathematical backgrounds of computer science students (and
some professors!).  You don't need to know any math to be a hacker, but
you have to know math and statistics to work in statistical pattern
recognition.  Thus, generations of computer science students are
susceptible to hoodwinking by neat demos based on simple mathematical
and statistical techniques that incorporate some engineering hacks
that can be tweaked forever.  They'll think they are accomplishing
something by their endless tweaking because they don't know enough
math and statistics to tell what's really going on.

Dr. James M. Coggins          coggins@cs.unc.edu
Computer Science Department   A neuromorphic minimum distance classifier!
UNC-Chapel Hill               Big freaking hairy deal.
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175                -Garfield the Cat
and NASA Center of Excellence in Space Data and Information Science

hkhenson@cup.portal.com (H Keith Henson) (05/20/89)

This may be entirely redundant to these groups, but two books which
strongly support Aaron Sloman's views (aarons@cogs.sussex.ac.uk) are
_The Social Brain_ by Micheal Gazzaniga, and (of course) _Society of
Mind_ by Marvin Minsky.  If there are others, or articles, I would
appreciate email or postings.  Keith Henson (hkhenson@cup.portal.com)