[sci.philosophy.tech] What the Chinese Room is

marty@althea.UUCP (Martin B. Brilliant) (02/01/90)

In article <1990Jan27.004920.28355@agate.berkeley.edu> johnb@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (John L. Bergquist) writes:

>So what happens when you have the person in the chinese room internalize the
>rules and the books? Meaning, suppose you have someone who had a photographic
>memory and memorized all the chinese input symbols and their corresponding
>output symbols? Imagine you are that person. Now the whole system is in your
>own mind; in essence you ARE the system. Do you understand Chinese? You would
>probably feel you do not, even though you could respond intelligently in
>Chinese to any question that was asked.

I think we are getting to the heart of the matter.  Let me first
dispose of some of Searle's nonsensical questions.  He described a
SYSTEM consisting of a person, some rulebooks, etc.  The he asked
whether the PERSON understood Chinese.  No, the SYSTEM that might or
might not understand Chinese is exactly the SYSTEM he described, not
any part of it, such as the person, or the books, or the room.  To
insist that a part of the system must contain the properties of the
whole is to create a homunculus argument.  The SYSTEM is assembled from
parts, and it is the fact of assembling it that gives it properties
that the parts alone do not possess.  That's probably what the term
"imposed order" refers to.

Now let's get to Searle's other question.  Does success in the Turing
test imply thinking?  No, of course not.  Turing's suggestion, as I
understand it, was that his test was a necessary, not sufficient,
condition.  If it can't pass the test, it's not thinking.  Whether it
is thinking, depends on how long you keep on testing and how skillful
the tester is.  I think, however, that Searle and others underestimate
the ingenuity of human testers.  No stupid rulebook parser could pass.

                                                      Marty
M. B. Brilliant   (201)946-8147  marty@althea.UUCP
--

cliff@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Cliff Chaput) (02/04/90)

In article <466@althea.UUCP> marty@althea.UUCP (Martin B. Brilliant) writes:
>No stupid rulebook parser could pass.
>
>                                                      Marty

Ah!  But according to Searle's statement of the criteria, the rules of the
book are designed to be *indistinguishable* from a native Chinese speaker!
This means that every response you would expect from a Chinese person you
could get from this book.  That's some book, if you ask me.

So if you're looking for intelligence in the Chinese room, I'd examine the
book.  Given the current definition of the problem, they guy in the room
doesn't know chinese, the symbols don't know chinese, but the BOOK DOES!
Otherwise, how else could it be indistinguishable from a native Chinese
speaker?  This explains the anomalous "memorizing the book" problem: if the
book knows Chinese, then a man memorizing a book does nothing more than
change the medium.  The information remains the same.

I realize I'm not being that clear, be let me give an analogous example
(god save me!).  There's a program out there called Mathematica, which does
an awful lot of mathematics from top to bottom (Integrations, Equation
solving, all sorts of neat stuff).  The program includes most of the known
rules of mathematics.  Is it safe to say that this program "knows"
mathematics?  I would think so.  I can't expect any other person who knows
mathematics to do much more that Mathematica.  Now, this is not saying that
people won't do more; some are better at math insights, some are better at
passing math tests, some are better at showing their work.  But I would
claim that these are not central to the knowledge of mathematics proper.
Even if we want to reduce it some and ask, "Does Mathematica know algebra?"
one would surely be forced to answer positively.

Now can I say that my NeXT knows mathematics?  Kinda, but not in the same
way.  I know that through the computer I can access the mathematical
information that Mathematica provides, but I am also aware that Mathematica
is but a part of the NeXT.  I cannot claim that the Interface Builder knows
mathematics.  Nor can I claim the same for Webster's Dictionary, WriteNow,
etc.

Now say I got a source listing of Mathematica.  Can I now say that this
source listing knows mathematics?  Again, what is it to know mathematics?
Will it perform the mathematical feats that a human would?  Suppose you
took ascii codes for the string "D[x^3,x]" and fed it to the input routines
of the program.  You could trace from there the operations that took place
and followed it all the way to the output routines which gave you "3 x^2".
Clearly this source listing has the same information the the running
program has, or even a human (in this particular area).

Okay.  Now we take some guy with a remarkable memory, know-how of computer
programming, and no knowledge of ascii codes.  He memorizes the source code
for Mathematica.  Now, you take the string "D[x^3,x]" and convert it into
ascii codes by hand, and tell this mnematic wonder to feed this code into
the input routines of his memorized mathematics source, trace the program
through completion, and report the code that is given by the output
routine.  Will this code, when translated back into text, be "3 x^2"?  Most
certainly!  Though we can not say with any reassurance that the man knows
mathematics.  Even if he did, he wouldn't know to use it because he is
being told ascii numbers which, as stated above, have no meaning to him.

Why do we run up against this wall?  We commonly misplace the first person.
When we talk about ourselves, what do we mean?  If I were to say, "I am
injured," does this mean that my entire body injured?  My vocal cords are
certainly not injured, my mind seems to be relatively intact.  No,
certainly I must mean that a part of me is injured.  If I say, "I am
happy," it is not reasonable to say that my knee is happy, my eyes are
happy, or my hair is happy, though it is clear that these are intrinsically
parts of my whole.  So when I say, "I know mathematics," which part of me
do I mean then?  Well, of course, I mean my brain.  "My brain knows
mathematics," would then be a sentence with identical meaning to "I know
mathematics."  Right?

Well, what happens if I say, "My brain knows how to pump blood through my
body," or "My brain knows how to replicate human life," or "My brain knows
how to block out pain if it gets too intense."  These are all true
statements, but are they really the same as "I know how to pump blood
through my body, replicate human life, and block out pain."?  There seems
to be a level of understanding that we are missing.  Surely our brain can
accomplish these tasks, but do we know how it's done?  These are usually
referred to as unconscious activities.  So it is possible to say that a
person knows how to do something without being conscious of the mechanism
involved.  As a result, it is possible that a person could know mathematics
without being aware that he knows mathematics, or, even if he is aware, to
understand the mathematics.  Continuing on the same pattern, any body of
knowledge could be said to have the same property, including Chinese.

I hope this sheds a light or two on what I'm trying to get at.  We should
be careful when we say the computer knows Chinese, or the room knows
Chinese.  And we should understand that storing knowledge is not the same
as knowing.  So Searle hasn't done much but to point out this false
assumption through contradiction.  However, the knowledge is still there,
no matter how it is accessed.  Just because we are not conscious of the
methods by which blood is pumped through our body does not imply that this
doesn't happen.  If WriteNow doesn't know mathematics, that doesn't mean a
NeXT cannot add two and two.  And if we do not know Chinese, we may very
well be able to respond like a native Chinese speaker given the right
information.

Cliff Chaput
Mneme Project, Northwestern University Psychology Dept.
cliff@mneme.psych.nwu.edu, cliff@eecs.nwu.edu

gilham@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Fred Gilham) (02/06/90)

In article <3488@accuvax.nwu.edu> cliff@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Cliff Chaput) writes:

>Ah!  But according to Searle's statement of the criteria, the rules of the
>book are designed to be *indistinguishable* from a native Chinese speaker!
>This means that every response you would expect from a Chinese person you
>could get from this book.  That's some book, if you ask me.
>
>So if you're looking for intelligence in the Chinese room, I'd examine the
>book.  Given the current definition of the problem, they guy in the room
>doesn't know chinese, the symbols don't know chinese, but the BOOK DOES!
>Otherwise, how else could it be indistinguishable from a native Chinese
>speaker?  This explains the anomalous "memorizing the book" problem: if the
>book knows Chinese, then a man memorizing a book does nothing more than
>change the medium.  The information remains the same.
>
>I realize I'm not being that clear, be let me give an analogous example
>(god save me!).  There's a program out there called Mathematica, which does
>an awful lot of mathematics from top to bottom (Integrations, Equation
>solving, all sorts of neat stuff).  The program includes most of the known
>rules of mathematics.  Is it safe to say that this program "knows"
>mathematics?  I would think so.  I can't expect any other person who knows
>mathematics to do much more that Mathematica.  Now, this is not saying that
>people won't do more; some are better at math insights, some are better at
>passing math tests, some are better at showing their work.  But I would
>claim that these are not central to the knowledge of mathematics proper.
>Even if we want to reduce it some and ask, "Does Mathematica know algebra?"
>one would surely be forced to answer positively.

No!  Mathematica does not know algebra or mathematics.  To see why
this is so, we just have to look at the human analogy of Mathematica,
namely "cookbook" math. Mathematica is a sophisticated system for
doing cookbook math.  Many people can do calculus from the integral
tables without really knowing calculus.  I remember taking a class
where I was taught just that.

Someone who knows calculus can go outside the cookbook.  Such a person
can apply his knowledge to problems that are not covered by any of the
rules he already knows.  Besides this, such a person can see
applications for the rules that are not immediately obvious.

To use a simpler example, take long division.  Most of us know the
standard algorithm for long division.  I taught it to kids in
elementary school.  But I could tell that some of these kids were
following the rules without knowing why they worked, or really, what
the use of it all was.  Yet they could do the algorithm reliably.  I
would say that they did not know division, even though they could
execute the steps of the algorithm so as to produce the result.  If
I had asked them to think of some other algorithm for doing long
division, they would have looked at me as if I were crazy.  They
probably would have thought "This IS long division."

The "book", then, contains the steps of the algorithm.  It is at least
two steps removed from knowledge, in that something needs to execute
the algorithm and some mind needs to interpret the results..  The
whole trick behind the Chinese Room argument is that it is possible to
handle symbols in two ways, mechanically and semantically.  The
Chinese Room argument claims that a mind can assign meaning to symbols
that are produced by an entity to which the symbols have no meaning.
Making the entity very complicated does not change this.

-Fred Gilham   gilham@csl.sri.com

cliff@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Cliff Chaput) (02/07/90)

In article <1990Feb5.193530.13545@Neon.Stanford.EDU> gilham@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Fred Gilham) writes:
>No!  Mathematica does not know algebra or mathematics.  To see why
>this is so, we just have to look at the human analogy of Mathematica,
>namely "cookbook" math. Mathematica is a sophisticated system for
>doing cookbook math.  Many people can do calculus from the integral
>tables without really knowing calculus.  I remember taking a class
>where I was taught just that.
>
>Someone who knows calculus can go outside the cookbook.  Such a person
>can apply his knowledge to problems that are not covered by any of the
>rules he already knows.  Besides this, such a person can see
>applications for the rules that are not immediately obvious.
>
>To use a simpler example, take long division.  Most of us know the
>standard algorithm for long division.  I taught it to kids in
>elementary school.  But I could tell that some of these kids were
>following the rules without knowing why they worked, or really, what
>the use of it all was.  Yet they could do the algorithm reliably.  I
>would say that they did not know division, even though they could
>execute the steps of the algorithm so as to produce the result.  If
>I had asked them to think of some other algorithm for doing long
>division, they would have looked at me as if I were crazy.  They
>probably would have thought "This IS long division."
>
>The "book", then, contains the steps of the algorithm.  It is at least
>two steps removed from knowledge, in that something needs to execute
>the algorithm and some mind needs to interpret the results..  The
>whole trick behind the Chinese Room argument is that it is possible to
>handle symbols in two ways, mechanically and semantically.  The
>Chinese Room argument claims that a mind can assign meaning to symbols
>that are produced by an entity to which the symbols have no meaning.
>Making the entity very complicated does not change this.
>
>-Fred Gilham   gilham@csl.sri.com

Does one have to be aware of a fact to know it?  It is clear that we know
how to breathe.  We are rarely aware of our breathing (though we would
surely be aware if we stopped).  We know how to talk, to speak in coherent
sentences.  But do we know the rules by which thought is produced?  Planets
circle the Sun according to the laws of physics.  But do the planets know
physics?

The fact is that knowledge can exist without human awareness.  Even if all
people were to die, the Earth wouldn't stop revolving about the Sun.  Even
if you remove human knowledge from the human, the knowledge is still there.
This is how we can store knowledge in history books, encyclopedias, and
Mathematica programs.

As for "a mind interpreting the results,"  this is in no way part of
knowing "math."  It is part of knowing how to interpret results.  The two
are very separable.  Knowing how to interpret results, escaping the system,
or "consciousness" is an act we can apply to any intellectual discipline.
But that doesn't make it an intrinsic part of those areas, including math.
Once again, it is possible to know something and not be aware of it, thus
being unable to interpret it.  This is something that Sartre called
"transcendence."  We can reflect on ideas that we are aware of, but most
ideas we have are our "axioms," things we take for granted.

So for a computer to do math as well as a human, yes, it will need
"consciousness" of the math, or an ability to escape the system.  But this
is not the issue.  This fact is already pre-supposed by the Chinese Room
puzzle, stating that there is a book which can give responses just like a
native Chinese speaker.  This would require awareness.

I feel, though, that my analogy still stands.  Awareness is not a
requirement of knowing.  So knowing math doesn't imply being able to escape
the system.

weeks@ssbell.IMD.Sterling.COM (John Weeks) (02/07/90)

In article <3567@accuvax.nwu.edu> cliff@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Cliff Chaput) writes:
>Does one have to be aware of a fact to know it?  It is clear that we know
>how to breathe.  We are rarely aware of our breathing (though we would
>surely be aware if we stopped).  We know how to talk, to speak in coherent
>sentences.  But do we know the rules by which thought is produced?  Planets
>circle the Sun according to the laws of physics.  But do the planets know
>physics?
>
>The fact is that knowledge can exist without human awareness.  Even if all
>people were to die, the Earth wouldn't stop revolving about the Sun.  Even
>if you remove human knowledge from the human, the knowledge is still there.
>This is how we can store knowledge in history books, encyclopedias, and
>Mathematica programs.

I guess I've got to get my 2 cents in here.  I think that throughout this
Chinese Room thread there has been a systematic ambiguity in the use of the
terms "to know" and "knowledge."  There are at least three uses involved,
two major and one minor use.  The minor one is of knowledge in the sense of
a body of facts or wisdom.  I don't think that this sense has much relevance
to the CR.

The other two senses have been distinguished at least since Plato: techne and
episteme, techne being an ability - knowing how to breathe or how to ride
a bicycle, episteme refering to a propositional attitude - knowing *that*
such and such is the case.  (This distinction is preserved in some languages
other than English: kennen and wissen in German, for example.)

There are arguments for saying that the Chineses Room knows, in the sense
of having the ability to "speak", Chinese although these arguments would not
support the thesis that the Chinese Room has any propositional attitudes at
all (knowing, believing, doubting ...)
--
John Weeks    				Phone:	(402) 291-8300
Sterling Software FSG/IMD 		e-mail: uunet!btni!ugn!ssbell!weeks