[sci.philosophy.tech] Chess, Reductionism, Truth

smiller@ral.rpi.edu (Scott Miller) (03/23/90)

In article <492e6ff2.1a4d7@cicada.engin.umich.edu> zarnuk@caen.engin.umich.edu (Paul Steven Mccarthy) writes:
>(Chris Malcolm) writes:
>>In chess it is not possible to checkmate a king with _only_ two knights.
>>If you regard this as a property of reality how is it a consequence of
>>the laws of physics?
>
>I am a Reductionist.  These kinds of reductions are terribly tedious, but
>the basic format is:
>
>     The given property is a consequence of the rules of the game.
>     The rules of the game are the consequence of human perceptions
>         of pleasure.
>     Human perceptions of pleasure are the consequence of human
>         nuero-chemistry
>     Human nuero-chemistry is the consequence of the laws of chemistry.
>     The laws of chemistry are the consequence of the laws of physics.

It seems to me that Paul could have avoided a weak response by
properly defining the scope of reductionism, thereby showing that it
does not apply to the chess question.

"Truth", as far as I can tell, is a property of a proposition within
the context of a formal system.  A proposition is true if it is
provable within the system.  The proposition does not necessarily have
any meaning (or interpretation) in any other system. Thus, for
example, the proposition "a king cannot be checkmated with just two
knights" is true within the system of definitions and rules called
chess, but it does not have any bearing on "the real world" because
chess is not meant to be a model of the real world.

You may object, "What about physical truths, such as the
conservation of energy, or the speed of light being the absolute speed
limit?"  Well, first of all, the propositions that the universe has
these respective properties are always subject to doubt, despite our
constant confirmation of them.  Secondly, these and all other
"universal truths" are propositions, composed of symbols, simply by
the fact that they are communicated in symbolic form.  (Is it possible
to communicate in nonsymbolic form?)  To analyze the truth of these
statements, you must provide a formal system of axioms and inference
rules in which there exist interpretations for these statements.
I submit, therefore, that "P is true in the real (physical) world"
should be defined as "P is provable in a formal system S which is a
model of reality".  By model I mean a system which is consistent and
complete with respect to whatever it is modelling.  All scientists are
trying to build models of the particular domains they are exploring,
e.g., physics, biology, chemistry, and maybe even psychology.  The
essence of the reductionist thesis, in these terms, is that a formal
system which models the domain of physics can, given the proper
definitions, simulate the systems which model all other domains of
reality.  (Sort of a Church-Turing thesis for physics!)  None of this
has anything to do with chess.

One thing bothers me about the discussion of models above: the observation
that, if a model of physics could exist, I think it would probably be
powerful enough to generate arithmetic, which would imply that the model
cannot exist, because a model is consistent _and_ complete.  It follows
that we can never know the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the
truth about physics, but I suppose that's not saying anything new.  I
could be wrong about a model of physics generating arithmetic.
However, the real problem is that the definition of "truth in the real
world" must be modified to account for the possibility that a model
cannot exist.  That is, "P is true in W" might be redefined as "If
there exists a system S which models W, then P is a theorem in S."  A
better definition might be
    P is true in W  iff  there exists a system S consistent with W
			 such that P is a theorem in S
This is all fine and dandy, but it still leaves my definition of
reductionism utterly meaningless if a model of physics is a logical
impossibility.  It also leaves truth unanalyzable w.r.t. the real
world, since we can never know if a given formal system is consistent
with a system we did not create. Nevertheless, this definition does
answer the chess question.

If any of you netters discover a glaring example of naivete in this
article, please edify me.

Scott Miller

--
Scott A. Miller