[rec.music.gdead] Here's how to CONTROL YOUR JUNK MAIL

jb3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon Allen Boone) (01/23/91)

cameron@argosy.UUCP (Cameron Spitzer) writes:
> 1.  *CALL* the DMA's Mail Preference Service at their secret, unlisted
> number (212)768-7277 and ask to be listed in their Suppression File.
> Stay on the phone while the computer operator types your address in.
> If you leave a message they may just discard it.
> Call them a month later and ask if you're listed.

I called just now - the operator told me that she couldn't enter my
information over the phone - she told me to either write in requesting
this or she could send me a form.  I asked for the form; I hope that
it gets a better response than the letters did.

	-=> iain <=-
    "a sysadmin kinda guy"

zap@savage.UUCP (Zap Savage) (01/24/91)

In article <856@argosy.UUCP> cameron@argosy.UUCP (Cameron Spitzer) writes:
%8.  When they ask for my name and address at Radio Shack, I tell them
%firmly but politely, "For the purpose of your data base, my name is Joe
%Tandy and my address is GPO, Fort Worth, Texas."  Radio Shack is one of
%the few large junk mailers who can't be bothered to maintain a suppression
%file.

I've been told one great thing about Tandy but I can't confirm it.  Can anyone?
Tandy/Radio Shack does NOT sell its mailing list and from what I've heard they
have the largest in the States.

%(c) 1991, Cameron Spitzer, San Jose, California
%cameron@maspar.com  or  uunet!decwrl!argosy!cameron

Great article, Cameron!  Thank you!

Zap
--
Zap Savage, Savage Research, Inc.
"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like a fool."

"It'll never fly, Orville."
	-Wilbur Wright