[comp.society] Writing or Otherwise

SHEIZAF@HBUNOS.BITNET (Sheizaf Rafaeli) (05/07/87)

Ray Chen writes:

> Written information has one advantage ... the assimilation of the
> information can be controlled by the .. receiver.

and Brian Ogilvie replies:

> A written format ... where responses are transmitted quickly, has most of
> the advantages of both media and few of the disadvantages...

     Clearly this is not a horse race between media. Each have functions
     and dysfunctions. I liked the point about relationship between
     bandwidth and amount of interpretation. Is this relation curvilinear,
     in the sense that too much bandwidth results in
     noise, uninterpretability? Any other examples or counter examples?

     I would like to suggest that written media have the advantage (function)
     of being under the ***communicator's*** complete control. The point here
     is that written communication, archaic as it may be, will not disappear
     because of the continuing demand on the part of sources, not receivers.
     Perhaps Brian and Ray prefer written to spoken modes 'cause they get
     **SLOWER** retorts or response.

     I know I've written this here rather than talk or write directly to
     Ray and Brian hoping they would never see it. Any questions?

Sheizaf Rafaeli

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (05/07/87)

Sheizaf Rafaeli writes:

> I would like to suggest that written media have the advantage (function)
> of being under the ***communicator's*** complete control. The point here
> is that written communication, archaic as it may be, will not disappear
> because of the continuing demand on the part of sources, not receivers.
> Perhaps Brian and Ray prefer written to spoken modes 'cause they get
> **SLOWER** retorts or response.

Looks like I confused some people.

A) As an information/idea assimilator, there are times when I prefer a written
format because I have complete control over the rate and the circumstances
under which I examine the information.  This makes it easier for me to
strip out the basic idea(s) being presented and judge it only on its merits.

B) As an information/idea disseminator and creator, there are times when
I prefer a written format because that medium seems least amenable to
a "snow job" due to point A.  Since I believe this, this forces me to
work harder to examine all facets of any ideas I present, which in turn
makes them stronger (I hope).

Now some more points.  As far as communications media go, overall, I do
prefer talking in person.  The rapid feedback, non-verbal communication,
etc. make it a much richer interaction.  I think it's the best medium
to use when generating and modifying ideas.  (Not to mention other,
more social circumstances.)

But it just seems to me that, in general, ideas should stand on
their own merits.  And the best medium I've found for communicating ideas
and making them stand on their own merits is the written word.  In this
case, I think the abstract, relatively spartan nature of the written
word works to our advantage.

	Ray Chen
	chen@gatech