[comp.society] Information editing via telephone...

taylor@hplabs.HP.COM (Dave Taylor) (05/03/87)

An interesting article from RISKS-Digest volume 4 #79:

PNB CANCELS 976 NUMBER FOR PERSONAL-DATA COMPANY

Seattle (AP) -- Pacific Northwest Bell has canceled the 976-prefix toll-call
number of a Seattle company that obtains and sells information about
individuals.  The company had sent post cards to thousands of Seattle
residents, offering to delete data about them from company files if they
called the telephone number--a call that cost $7.50.  After PNB attorneys
alleged that the post cards could involve extortion, the phone company
canceled Profile Service Corp.'s 976 number Monday, the first time such
action had been taken in the Seattle area, said PNB spokesman Bruce Amundson.

But Jan Sakamoto, Profile's president, said the company did nothing wrong and
would appeal the phone company's action to the Washington State Utilities and
Transportation Commission.  "I don't think it's blackmail or fraud," Sakamoto
said.  Instead, he said, his company was "catching the brunt of people's ire
at not being able to control information about themselves."

Commission spokesman Raymond Day said PNB apparently was within its rights in
canceling the number.  The commission allows PNB to cut off service "without
prior notice, for unlawful use of service or use of service for unlawful
purposes," Day said.

Seattle news media, the state attorney general's office, the Utilities and
Transportation Commission, the Postal Service and PNB have received numerous
complaints about the cards, which were mailed to 20,000 Seattle residents.
The card read:

	"Profile Service Corp. knows some personal things about you
	that other people might like to know.  Our company's computer
	files contain names, telephone numbers, complete addresses,
	credit reports and other important pieces of information about
	you.  We have purchased this information from a variety of
	public and private sources."

The card then advised consumers to call its 976 number to have the
number deleted from its computer files.  The $7.50 charge for the call
would be billed to caller's phone numbers, with most of the charge
being remitted by PNB to Profile.  People who called the number will
have the charge deleted from their phone bills, Amundson said.

- - -

touch@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Joseph Touch) (05/08/87)

Along these same lines, how do we feel about a company (TRW) which
both maintains such credit information, and offers a service (for a fee,
of course) to tell you when someone accesses your information.

Are they (or we) not aware that we have a right to inspect such information
(in many states) at will, without paying their subscription fee?

Should the commercial for such be banned from airing on TV?

Just a thought.

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (05/12/87)

Joseph Touch writes about credit information bureaus:

> Are they (or we) not aware that we have a right to inspect such
> information (in many states) at will, without paying their subscription fee?

    It is certainly true that some of us are not aware that we have
a right (in many states) to see this information at will.  I am aware
of my right to see information used in denying me credit.  I did not
(and do not) know of any right to see information about me that some
company has gathered and wishes to sell.  Would someone please
elaborate on the nature of such laws and the states in which they
are applicable?

			-- Jim Davis