[comp.society] On giving out your social security number.

spaf@gatech.UUCP (Gene Spafford) (07/29/87)

[The following originally appeared on the SECURITY mailing list ...]

As a matter of principle, I'm one of those people who won't give out my
social security number when applying for utilities or credit cards.
The reasons why have been discussed numerous times in various
security-related groups.   It is my understanding that it is against
the law to force someone to give his/her social security number unless
it is a government agency; although I've often run into occasional
resistance, a few moments of explanation has usually resulted in things
working out okay.

Then there's today.  I'm moving to W. Lafayette Indiana in two weeks
and I called to establish my phone service there.  Indiana is
served by GTE for phone service.  I did not anticipate any problems
since I have an excellent credit history, as could be verified by
a quick check with the local Southern Bell folks.  After the rep
at GTE took all my information down, she asked for my SS#.  I explained
that I don't give that out.  She informed me that I would be required
to pay a $75 deposit if I refused to give my SS#.  So, I asked to
talk to her supervisor.

Her supervisor repeated that I would have to give my SS# to waive the
deposit.  I asked if they could simply call Southern Bell or take a
credit card #, or they could call Purdue and verify my employment.  He
said that wasn't enough -- I had to supply my SS#, no other option.  I
enquired as to why they needed it -- he said it was for a credit check
and to verify future disconnect requests.  I explained that they could
do that self-same credit check without the SS# *and* I don't give out
my SS# precisely because I don't want it used as a verification number
on my account.   He insisted I either supply the number or pay the
deposit.  He also asked why I was being so stubborn -- it was even on
my driver's license, wasn't it?  (It isn't -- and hasn't been.  In
Georgia, you have always had the option of having a different ID, and
now the licenses are being issue with those as default.  The guy at GTE
claims that the Indiana licenses are *required* to have the SS# on them
-- anyone know if this is true?  It shouldn't be...) I explained that
having done some work in computer security, and personal experience, I
know how that number can be abused.  He said I was the only person he'd
ever run into to refuse to give the SS# (!).

I then asked him if the requirement for a SS# was written policy -- I
wanted a copy to examine.  He informed me that such information was
private to the company and I couldn't have a copy -- didn't I trust
him?  I then asked if that policy was on file with the state Public
Service Commission.  At that he (rather loudly) asked if I wanted
service with GTE or not?  I asked him very calmly if he was threatening
to deny me service -- he quieted down.  I next explained that I wanted
to see a copy of the written policy because it would be interesting to
include in an article I might write on improper use of SS#s.  He became
very quiet.  I offered to find the name and number of someone at
Southern Bell who could verify my 9 years of service here.  He said to
call back with that information (thankful to get rid of me, I guess).

The lady I talked to at Southern Bell was very helpful.  She informed
me that all the Southern Bell operators are told not to force a SS#
because it is against both policy and law, but if someone won't provide
it they are to get a bank account # or credit card number (both of
which I am willing to give in circumstances such as this).  She was
more than willing to talk to the supervisor at GTE and give him a
credit reference, if only he'd call.  She said she'd also fill him in
on policy.  *AND*, most interestingly, Southern Bell had somehow
obtained my SS# through other means and it was on file, but she
marked it so that it was not to be given out to anyone, specifically
not anyone with GTE Indiana. :-)

Back to GTE.  I called the supervisor (collect, of course) and gave him
the name and number of the lady at Southern Bell.  He was very curt and
said he'd probably still require a deposit.  He hung up on me.

20 minutes later the original GTE operator called me back and
cheerily informed me that my service would be turned on August 4
with *no* deposit required!

Questions
---------

1) Do many of you (net-readers) withhold your SS# in similar circumstances?
Do you have these kinds of confrontations too?

2) Anyone know if other people at GTE Indiana are such jerks, or is
this an isolated instance?

3) Anyone know if Indiana does, in fact, *require* that the SS# be
on the driver's license?

4) Should I bother to follow-up on this further?  That is, should
I bother contacting the Public Service commission in Indiana
about the treatment I received? (I'm currently not sure it is
worth the effort).

Too bad we don't have a choice of phone companies as well as long
distance carriers -- I'd keep Southern Bell.

Gene Spafford

taylor@hplabsz.UUCP (08/06/87)

> I also dislike giving out my SS#. Schools want it, hospitals and doctors
> want it, just so they can have a unique number to classify me under.

No biggy, but SSNs aren't unique.  Years back I worked for Occidental
Life (a Transamerica co) and found that they didn't use SSNs alone as a
primary key due to collisions.

	Ken Shrum
	hplabs!hpldola!kens

tedm@hpldola.HP.COM (Ted Manahan) (08/06/87)

I also don't give out my SSN except for financial transactions (stock
sale, bank accounts, etc.). I have had problems with people
like the manager you refer to. When I wanted to pay for an oil change
with a check, my SSN was required. It took over 15 minutes to convince
them to take my VISA number instead!

That garage doesn't get my business any more.

Ted Manahan
hplabs!hpldola!tedm