[comp.society] Technology, Media, and Social Interaction: The Phone System

taylor@hplabs (Dave Taylor) (11/22/87)

An interesting thing has been happening to our telephones throughout
the world - they've been transitioning from being a person-to-person
communications device to being a full-blown information provider.

Consider, without leaving my chair I can not only call up people
I know (the easy part) but I can also track down people through
dealing with information (obtaining their addresses as well as
their phone numbers), can get stock quotes, my horoscope, the
racing results, summaries of the latest installments of various
popular television series but, much more interestingly, can
actually meet NEW people too.

The phone has been extended to be the ultimate in safe social
interaction systems -- with the rallying cry of "profit" the phone
company and the FCC has been licensing not just 976 numbers, but also
is now offering 900 service with a vengence.

[976 numbers, for those that don't know, are a special class of
 phone numbers leased to individuals for just about any legal
 purpose.  The person calling is charged typically a connect
 cost (usually about $1.75) and then a per-minute charge too.
 The phone company pockets a significant percentage of this
 revenue, and the owner of the specific service gets the rest.

 A 900 number is similar to an 800 number (e.g. the toll free phone
 number area code) but the caller is charged a flat $.50 per call
 to access it.  The numbers operate throughout the continental US
 and the person who owns the equipment pockets 5 cents for each
 call placed.]

Somewhat suprisingly, though, I was in England and France a while
back and noticed that they're catching on there too!  There are big
colourful adverts all over the Tube in London advertising a teen
party line, for example.

What's also interesting is that not only do they have 'call a
recording' systems (also known by the name 'dial-a-porn' due to
the prevalence of that type of recording being available) and
systems where you can call up and leave a 'personal ad', also
hearing someone elses (randomly), but it's been extended to
party lines, like they had in the early days of telephones.

A friend of mine runs a 976 'chat' line where he leases 12 phone
lines from the phone company and people calling can connect to
up to five other people all in one big conference call.  (there
are some built in limitations on the system - by law they all must
terminate within 3 minutes of connect, and by technology - boosting
the signal to go to more than four or five other telephones makes
it sound awful).

I think that this development is significant for a number of
different reasons above and beyond the further utilization of
the telephone, however.  It's also an excellent example of
the sometimes insidious growth and encroachment of technology
on our everyday lives.

But most of all, it's rather a sobering statement on the social
lives of people in our fast paced society.

I've sat with my friend when he listens to his own line, or calls
other lines to hear how they sound, and most of all I'm struck with
the tones of despair and loneliness that all the callers seem to
have.  Underneath their babble (and indeed it's suprising that
people pay so much to say so little) is a group of people who are
fundamentally unable to succeed socially in our society.

I know of a woman, quite attractive, personable, and fun to spend
time with, who has used the 976 personals recording numbers to
meet men.  She's actually enjoyed spending time with the people
she's ultimately met in person, but they all seem to vanish within
a week or two.

Yet another person I know claims that I'm the only friend he has
that he hasn't met through 'phone conferencing', and that he finds
it quite difficult to make friends at parties and such.

So, in a rather circuitous way, I wonder if we're not seeing the
usage of these new phone services (and they are used an astounding
amount, in excess of a billion dollars worth of phone revenue per
year in the US) as indicative of the gradual changes that are
transforming our culture and society.

In some sense, they're a direct parallel to computer 'BBS'
machines (BBS = Bulletin Board System) where a few years ago when
they started to become popular a group of people sprung up that
used them as their primary place for making new friends.  The
parallels are really quite striking.  (and the current computer
conference systems, like the USENET, are an outgrowth of these
early BBSs too, with similar demographics).

The other question that arises, and I believe is the crux of all
of this, is *where did this clique come from*?  Is it a new group
of people, these that use technology as a vehicle for social
interaction, or is it a natural outgrowth of other factors?

My suspicion is that it's an unsuprising result of the expansion
of media and the consequent strengthening of the media's 'perfect
person'.

The expectations in society really have changed quite dramatically
in the last few years, I believe.  One must either be part of
the popular culture (e.g. the so-called media stereotypes) or will
have a difficult time succeeding socially.

As Clive Barker (director of the new film "Hellraiser") says in
the magazine "Sight and Sound";

	[a minor character in the original has been turned
	into the second lead in the adaptation and polished
	up as a more or less conventional heroine]

	``I liked the fact that in the novella the girl was a
	total loser.  You can live with someone like that
	for the length of a novella.  You can't for a movie.''

What exactly is this saying about our culture?

	I've strayed a bit off the beaten path, but I would be most
interested in hearing about other peoples thoughts on this, especially
those outside of the United States.

						-- Dave Taylor

jack@fabien.UUCP (Jack Waugh) (11/24/87)

A possiblity is that many of those who use the methods of making
social contact you cite do so because those methods are newly
available and the people had social difficulties anyway before the
methods were available.

Jack Waugh

taylor@hplabsz.UUCP (11/28/87)

Agree with your observations.  It's too easy in some ways to access such
power.  The numerous handicapped people attest to the power of this form
of communications.  One thing which disturbs me are all the quotations out of
context: the posting without permissions.  Of this latter, I think this
has to stop, not because of copyright, but because the interaction gives
a better picture in some cases.

But getting back to people.  It is also notable that pictures are not so
desireable to transmit.  This also says something, perhaps, our
reaction to television working with our communications with the phone.

--eugene

shane@deepthot.UWO.CDN (Shane Dunne) (12/06/87)

Dave Taylor writes:
>[...discussion of phone services such as 900 & 976 profit-making
>    ventures, leading into discussion of BBS's and net-news...]
>The other question that arises, and I believe is the crux of all
>of this, is *where did this clique [of users -sd] come from*?
>Is it a new group of people, these that use technology as a vehicle
>for social interaction, or is it a natural outgrowth of other factors?
>
>My suspicion is that it's an unsuprising result of the expansion
>of media and the consequent strengthening of the media's 'perfect
>person'.
>[...]
>What exactly is this saying about our culture?

The "perfect person" notion hits it right on the head.  People in TV
shows, movies and plays are bound to be perfect; their every utterance
has been carefully scripted.  How can "ordinary" people compete with
that?  By using media such as the phone services, CB radio, BBS's and
net-news, which allow them to conceal their own "imperfect" identity and,
in the latter two cases, spend nearly unlimited "scripting" their
contributions.  Where did this clique come from?  They're just ordinary
folks, grabbing onto an opportunity to be like their media heroes.

Well, nobody's perfect, as the saying goes, and so to become perfect I
must become someone other than myself.  The most obvious way is to use
a false name, or at least withhold my real one.  BBS's and similar
systems facilitate this by presenting new users with a prompt like
"Enter name:".  It disturbs me somewhat that this net-news/mail facility
is inconsistent about including users' real names with news postings.
It seems that although my local system automatically includes my real
name, some distant systems will remove it.

A popular argument against using real names is that anonymous media can
help shy people reach out to others in a "safe" way.  I cannot believe
that sitting in front of a terminal engaging in such "safe" anonymous
interaction can help anyone learn real social intercourse skills.  (It
might be of value in pathological cases, but then the situation should
be much better controlled.)  If our goal is to help the shy ones, we
must not force them to hide behind assumed identities for protection against
a hostile social environment; rather we must strive to make the environment
gentler.  This means, primarily, giving up the childish practice of
flaming, and remembering the little things we used to call "politeness".

- Shane Dunne, UWO Computer Science, Canada