[comp.society] Computers and the Stock Exchange

taylor@hplabs.HP.COM (Dave Taylor) (01/26/88)

The following is based on an article off the Associated Press newswire
that appeared in todays Santa Cruz Sentinel.

- - - - -

Shearson Lehman Brothers Inc. Hailed in Limiting Computer Program
Trading on Wall Street

New York - A Wall Street assault on one form of computer-driven stock
trading intensified Friday when one of the biggest stock brokerage
firms, Shearson Lehman Brothers Inc., announced a limit on their use
of computer program trading.  The company blamed it for fanning what
they call `post crash volatility' and weakening investor confidence in
the stock market.

Many brokers hailed the announcement as a step towards limiting what
is widely seen as the harmful impact of `index-arbitage program
trading' [this is defined in the article as the use of computers to
simultaneously buy and seel large quantities of stocks and stock-index
futures].

An institutional stock manager at another firm put it this way; ``I think
Shearson wants to show that we as an industry group are not going to
let one tool destroy the confidence the investing public has enjoyed
for so many years.  I think it's an extremely good move.''

The blame for the October 19th crash of the stock market has been placed
on this index-arbitage program trading system by many analysts, with even
more agreeing that the resultant wild swings and panicked buying and
selling of stocks were caused by this system.

There was even a presidential commission created to study the collapse,
their report stating that this program trading `certainly played a
role' in what happened.

A member of a firm that is boycotting brokerages that use index-arbitage
trading states; ``The institutions that aren't involved in index-arbitage
program trading are bringing their muscle to the plate to try and stop
it.  That's what causes the violent fluctuations in the marketplace,
and that's running people out of the market, both the instutions and
individual.  They just don't want to be involved in a market that moves
that much.''

The New York Stock Exchange, in an attempt to allay investor concern,
has also taken steps to limit index-arbitage program trading via its
main computer system when the Dow Jones industrial average moves more
than 75 points in a single day.  They are also considering temporary
trading halts in volatile stocks which would make it more difficult
for program traders to calculate prices accurately [which would result
in the system being considerably less useful].

Other exchanges, including the Chicago Stock Exchange, are considering
similar limitations.

Shearson, in their statement to the press, said that ``index arbitage
program trading  had been suspended in response to concerns expressed
by clients that program trading may exacerbate market volatility.''

- - - - -

So it appears that the speed and power of the computer indeed has
finite limitations in certain areas...anyone care to surmise what
the ultimate long-term effects of this sort of limitation will
have?

						--- Dave Taylor

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (01/29/88)

First, a general disclaimer on what follows.  I know absolutely nothing
about the stock market other than I lost a few bucks on a company a few
years ago.  So all that I have to say is speculation on the situation
and not an informed opinion.  Corrections to any assumptions made are
appreciated.

I think that the limitations are due to the inability for human beings
to become involved in the decision making process.  The trading decisions
are made and executed so fast that manual overrides may not be possible.
The human being is taken out of the loop.

If there is anything that one learns from a human factors point of view
it is the need for providing manual overrides for any automated system.
However, if the process does not allow enough time for human reaction to
the situation, it may be too late.

The other angle on all this is just what factors go into making a buy or
sell decision?  Are all them quantifiable?  Decision support systems can't
emulate some human qualities that go into a decision making process like
gut feelings, emotions, etc.......

George W. Leach

Gloger.es@Xerox.COM (Paul Gloger) (02/02/88)

regarding "Computers and the Stock Exchange"...

Arbitrage trading really consists simply of buying and selling
essentially identical securities or packages thereof, at closely matched
times, but in different markets or different forms, where the spread
between the buying and selling prices is sufficient to make the effort
profitable.  For example, I would buy an index future based on the Dow
Jones Industrial Average, and separately sell all the individual stocks
comprising that average, if I had an opportunity to do so at a profit.
Notice that this opportunity could only exist if the index were undervalued
and the individual stocks overvalued relative to each other; that the
arbitrage trade tends to drive the prices into relative alignment;
and that the arbitrage trading is therefore inherently both self-limiting
and stabilizing of the market.

Arbitrage trading is essentially the same activity as retailing /
wholesaling / dealing / brokering / distributing / trading, except that
these latter terms are usually applied where the underlying commodity is
a tangible item rather than a financial security.  However, the activity
in all cases lubricates the market, makes the market more efficient; and
it is in all cases inherently stabilizing and productive.

The widespread "agreeing that the resultant wild swings and panicked buying
and selling of stocks on Oct. 19 were caused by this system (arbitrage
trading)" is totally unjustified and unfounded.  The most elementary
understanding of the economics of the situation shows that it has beneficial
effects exactly opposite those for which it is blamed.

Therefore we have a most interesting issue regarding "Computers and Society,"
namely that this entire issue is a massive exercise by society in pure
scapegoating of computers, falsely blaming computer trading for the
unsettling behavior of the financial markets.

However, I was provoked to this response, not by the newspaper article quoted
by Dave Taylor, which sort of media trumpeting of massively fraudulent
political allegations is too common to admit of a reply; but by Dave's
own closing paragraph:

	So it appears that the speed and power of the computer
	indeed has finite limitations in certain areas...
	anyone care to surmise what the ultimate long-term
	effects of this sort of limitation will have?

I would ask Dave to either please explain just what these "finite limitations"
are and offer evidence of their operation; or else to please admit that what we
have here is our own Computers and Society moderator casually buying into this
massive scapegoating of computers by society.

Paul Gloger <Gloger.es@Xerox.com>

I would like to take this opportunity to combat the myth that program
trading was responsible for the stock market crash.  It may have
exacerbated the problem, but if so, it was not by very much.

The biggest cause of the crash, as far as I can tell, is the practice by
various big institutions of a technique misnamed "portfolio insurance".
The idea of portfolio insurance is that if the stock market goes down a
bit, you sell some of your stock, and invest the proceeds elsewhere.  The
idea is that if you sell quickly enough, your losses are limited.

It should be obvious that if enough of the investment capital in the market
is playing this strategy, it will stop working.  All will try to sell at
once, and the market crashes.

This is what happened in October.

Program trading comes in as follows.  The people who engage in portfolio
insurance have adopted the practice of selling futures on stock market
indexes as the fastest way of getting rid of their stocks.  There is another
group of traders, who use computers to watch the relationship between the
futures market and the underlying stocks.  When these get out of line, they
sell one and buy the other.  (These people are known as arbitrageurs using
the original meaning of the word, which has nothing to do with takeovers.)
Now, when the institutions responded to falling prices by selling futures,
this made the futures price drop.  The program traders' response was to buy
futures, and sell the stocks.

Note what happens if the program traders don't exist.  The futures market
crashes even more heavily than it did.  Eventually (read, later that day),
the institutions stop selling futures at such a big loss, and sell the
stocks instead.  Thus the same crash happens, delayed only a few hours.

Frank Adams

demers%beowulf@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (David E Demers) (02/19/88)

George Leach writes:

> The other angle on all this is just what factors go into making a buy or
> sell decision?  Are all them quantifiable?  Decision support systems can't
> emulate some human qualities that go into a decision making process like
> gut feelings, emotions, etc.......

There are a number of different types of programs.

One of the major ones is designed to hedge index futures.  Although it
may not be possible to correctly predict the motion of a securities price
(other than the famous maxim "It will fluctuate" - J.P. Morgan?), the
relationship between a security's price and the price of an option on
that security CAN be predicted, in so far as they bear an optimum relation
to each other (some of the ingredients in the formula are empirically
derived numbers, thus only known to some error tolerance.).  Thus if the
option price is too high, RELATIVE TO THE SECURITY PRICE, the option
should be sold and the security purchased.  Both will go up or down,
closely paralleling each other, but eventually the option price will
decrease with respect to the security's price.

Since the S & P index is a good approximation to the market as a whole, such
analyses are often done on the S & P and its index future contract, which
is traded as a security.  When the program kicks in a "buy stock - sell
future" message, each of the securities underlying the S & P is purchased
in its pro-rata quantity.  That can add up to a lot of "buy" orders,
especially when programs from a number of houses all act nearly simultaneously.

Speed is of the essence, since you have to get the proper prices.  Once all
the orders come in, supply & demand operates and the prices rise.  The sudden
rise in prices may cause other programs to issue orders...  hence the
volatility.

This is not the only thing going on, & sorry for the length - just wanted
to point out that some things CAN be fully quantified (given the right
assumptions!) in the market.

Dave DeMers, J.D., M.B.A.

{My methods may not be the best, but they had me sell in August...}

kurt@tc.FLUKE.COM (Kurt Guntheroth) (02/19/88)

Frank Adams writes:

    I would like to take this opportunity to combat the myth that program
    trading was responsible for the stock market crash.  The biggest cause
    of the crash...is the practice of..."portfolio insurance".

Both these names are symptoms of the same problem.  Big institutions can
transact a great deal of business suddenly by trading stocks, options,
futures, and other financial instruments with computers.

The price of a financial instrument (say a share of stock) is based on the
market's perception of the financial health of the underlying company plus
the market's perception of the financial health of the general marketplace.
As this perception changes gradually with time, the price of the share
changes.  At any given moment, shares of a stock go for a particular price,
and the market makers keep an inventory of that stock to sell at that price.
When orders come in at a reasonable rate, for individual stocks, this all
works pretty well.

When a computer trade dumps a whole bunch of stocks on the market, individual
market makers don't see the entire trade right away.  Even though the
emergence of a bunch of shares for sale indicate a change in the perception
of the marketplace, this information is hidden from the individual market
makers, who buy up shares of stock AT THE PRE-PROGRAM PRICE.  Within a few
minutes, the traders notice the sudden increase in selling volume and
decline in broad indices.  By then it is too late.  Shares have already
changed hands at "too high" a price.  Of course the human-assisted part of
the program is to set the trade in motion when things are busy, or when a
period of upward motion will mask the program trade's effect for awhile.

What has happened is that the trading system is too efficient.  The trading
system runs faster than the trader's ability to keep up with the trades and
set prices accordingly.  This imbalance in the system causes a sort of
ringing; faster-and-higher-than-expected rises and falls in price.  If the
system becomes unstable, you get 500 point down days.

Eliminating program trading practices, whether it is program stock
transactions or futures transactions would partially rebalance the system.
Slowing order entry would slow the system down to the point where the human
market makers could set the price effectively.  People who say program
trading is the cause of the crash probably are misinformed as to the
nomenclature, but I think they are right that it is the computerized trading
system that permits the disaster to happen.

Kurt

>>   I would like to take this opportunity to combat the myth that program
>>   trading was responsible for the stock market crash.  The biggest cause
>>   of the crash...is the practice of..."portfolio insurance".
>
> Both these names are symptoms of the same problem.  Big institutions can
> transact a great deal of business suddenly by trading stocks, options,
> futures, and other financial instruments with computers.
>
> When a computer trade dumps a whole bunch of stocks on the market, individual
> market makers don't see the entire trade right away.

Whatever speed transactions take place at, the market makers don't see the
entire trade "right away".  Markets get on fine in spite of this.

Faster reactions by traders just make the market better.  It doesn't matter
if it's a human trader or a computer trader.

The problem is that certain major trading institutions have been engaging in
destabilizing trading practices.  (The people who have been doing so are the
ones who took the biggest losses in the crash, by the way.)  It is probably
the case that access to computers tempted those people to think they could
get away with those practices -- indeed, as long as they could react faster
than anybody else, and there weren't too many of them, they could.  But this
is the only way in which computer trading is the problem.

Frank Adams