[comp.society] Computers, Science, and Civil Society

JCOGGSHALL@HAMPVMS.BITNET (Jeff Coggshall) (04/04/88)

First of all: There already exists a huge disenfranchisement in
society between scientists and non-scientists.

The scientific community has been, and continues to be, a sectarian
culture, which views itself as autonomous from the concerns of the
larger civil society within which it operates. The development and
production of technological innovations is, to a large extent,
ideologically (and artifically) divorced from societal and ethical
concerns.

I see this as the primary area which is in need of change: scientists
and technicians must integrate societal and ethical responsibility as
part of their work - and then everything else will follow idyllically.
Maybe. In any case, that sort of consciousness-raising, and view of
the cultural role of the scientist must change.

> What will happen to our society as a larger and larger section
> of the populace is disenfranchised?

Some guesses:

Between the scientific & nonscientific communitiy you will find
increasing Rumour, Mutual Suspicion, Fear, & Hatred.

I have heard (and I wish someone would come forth with real information
on this) that in the Netherlands somewhere, there are "technology
centers," or "science centers," which provide extremely easy, reaching-
out type of access to the kind of information which is becoming
increasingly necessary to "make it" in these technological times.

Jeff

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (04/07/88)

Jeff Coggshall writes, in response to Ralph J. Marshall:

> I see this as the primary area which is in need of change: scientists
> and technicians must integrate societal and ethical responsibility as
> part of their work - and then everything else will follow idyllically.
> Maybe. In any case, that sort of consciousness-raising, and view of
> the cultural role of the scientist must change.

Unfortunately, you are assuming that scientists will agree on the
ethical consequences of the various alternatives.  This is false.
Furthermore, scientists are likely to take into account more of the
consequences of the action.  Thus we have scientists totally polarized
on nuclear energy, genetic engineering, space activities, SDI, and even
on such things as nuclear war.  To give a somewhat extreme example:
should we provide food to the growing populations is the
drought-stricken parts of Africa?  At first it seems obvious that we
should feed starving people.  However, are we perpetuating and
exascerbating the famine by doing so?

I do not see any situation where one cannot argue that apparently
ethical actions can have such bad consequences that they cannot be
considered, and conversely that apparently unethical actions can have
such consequences that possibly one should consider them ethical.  I
personally have much more difficulty with the latter, but there are
situations in I would find myself forced to go along with them.  The
former occur most of the time.

We also are quite ignorant of important properties of nature.  Thus, an
ethical judgment must take into account _all_ consequences of the action
in all remotely reasonable states of nature.  There are no simple
solutions to the world's problems, and there are no simple comparisons
of value systems.

Herman Rubin