[comp.society] To Use or Not to Use, But I Don't: The Computer-Writer

JZEM@MARIST.BITNET (Henry M. Grouten c/o) (04/05/88)

                   "TO USE OR NOT TO USE, BUT I DON'T"
                          (THE COMPUTER-WRITER)

                           BY HENRY M. GROUTEN

     The use of computers and computer technology has, directly and
indirectly, infiltrated virtually all sectors of society.  In the arts,
writing in particular, is no exception to this computer revolution.

     There are many ways in which personal computers aid writers in
their work.  The most obvious and prevalent is in the area of word
processing, but first picture this scenario:

          A writer is creating a short story, and in the process
     uses the old "hunt and peck" method on her typewriter.  She
     finishes, proofreads and finds many typos.  Now comes the
     "fun part", fixing mistakes.  It's either correction fluid,
     tape, or cartridge-correcting ribbons.  At worst, it may even
     require retyping an entire page(s).  Besides this being a
     laborious and messy task, if enough correction fluid is used,
     the work may turn out to be a "real piece of art".

     Writers were blessed when special-purpose computers, or word
processors came to be.  "I use my (word) processor to write, to store
notes, to create, to edit, to organize ....  It's the most important
tool writers have been given since Gutenburg created movable type.",
says Christopher Cerf, consultant to "Sesame Street."

     The great advantage of having a computer with word processing
capabilities is that it renders retyping obsolete.  "The material can
be manipulated, edited, and formatted on the screen before being printed
out as hard copy, or committed to memory."

     In addition, there is a time savings consequence of literary
composition by computer.  "By freeing the writer of technical concerns
about editing, spacing, error correction, and other time-consuming
tasks, the writer can use the available free time more creatively and
productively."

     The boom in the computer industry has also created a market for
writers (as well as electronic publishers, another aid to writers).
"There is a demand for materials --- even some poetry, fiction, and
puzzles with a computer slant."  This certainly is a help to the writer
in the economic sense.

     Electronic publishing, another spinoff of the computer technology
revolution, has come to the aid of writers.  When their finished product
is ready for "print", and if the writer is set up with a modem, the
completed "paper" can be transmitted to the publisher, with speed and
efficiency found only in these electronic networks.

     The rapidly growing area of computer networking has helped these
artists write more effectively.  "Networking is catnip for people who
communicate best by the written word.  Good writers have charisma,
mediocre writers improve.", says Art Kleiner, a Berkeley, Calif., writer
who runs conferences on CompuServe and EIES (Electronic Information and
Exchange System).

     Yet, in another area, the computer can be an educational tool as a
teacher's aide to the writer.  The Software Teacher, Inc. is one such
entity.  Started in l984, the Teacher's software authors consist of
prize-winning poets and some of the best novelists anywhere.  This
software includes "Fiction Writing" (designed to teach writing students
techniques of narration, description, characterization, point of view,
dialogue and plotting), and "Poetry Writing" (covers techniques and
poetic form).

     Despite the advantages and benefits of using computers to assist in
composing literature, not all writers are enthusiastic.  Some writers,
for a variety of reasons, choose not to have a computer assistant to aid
them in their work.

     Perhaps these writers are bent on traditional methods and look upon
computers as just another "machine", or they're reluctant to introduce
anything between themselves and the finished product.

     Computers might make greater advances in the arts, if first they
could deal with artists' prejudices.  "Most artists regard computers
with wariness at best, and outright hostility at worst."  That's another
motive for those writers who choose not to use computers to compose
their work.

     For the occasional writer, the small amount of work dealt with may
not warrant the purchase of a computer.  Also, lack of funds or personal
preference may not support such a purchase.

     Most members of society hold some beliefs and attitudes when it
comes to computers.  If these attitudes have no basis in the working
knowledge, or training and education concerning computers, they will
undoubtedly influence the writer's decision to not employ a computer.

     There's also the question of authorship when a computer is the
author.  This, and the legalities concerning copyrights of information
stored in computers, or networks, may also steer writers away from the
computer.

     Personally, I believe that any prolific (probably wouldn't be if
it wasn't for computer technology) writer would be doing herself an
injustice by not taking advantage of a computer's word processing
capabilities.  With this technology comes efficiency, and doesn't that
mean time, and to a prolific writer, isn't time money!

     I have created some writings, and am a published poet (a few times
over).  Besides a handful of songs I've written and had copyrighted,
basically, poetry has been the extent of my creative writings.

     Although there exists software that can generate poetry, I have
never explored this avenue, and believe in the artist creating her own
writing.  My view is really a middle-of-the-stream one.

     The real substance of writing lies within the artist's innate
talents and abilities, and not in a machine.  On the other hand, using
a computer as an aid in formatting (the layout, of course, coming from
the artist) to make the final product "nice and pretty looking" is fine.

     The bottom line is, I don't use a computer (have an IBM XT setting
at home not being used at all -- I still can't justify the purchase) to
compose, create, format, nor as an aid of any sort when it comes to my
writings.  A typewriter (without any "bells and whistles") is the extent
of my outside assistance.  This may be due to the fact I held a former
job as a typist ("Speedy Gonzalez") for the State of Connecticut.  But,
my number one preference, like the bards of old, is still the pen/pencil
and paper.  Besides, I use a computer all day at work and welcome any
break away from it.

                                NOTES

1.     JOHN SAVAGE, ET AL., "WORD PROCESSING," IN THE MYSTICAL MACHINE,
       1986, P. 75.

2.     TOM FORESTER, "THE ELECTRONIC OFFICE", IN HIGH-TECH SOCIETY,
       1987, P. 201.

3.     JEFF FRATES AND WILLIAM MOLDRUP, "COMPUTERS IN THE HUMANITIES,"
       IN COMPUTERS AND LIFE, 1983, P. 113.

4.     THE WRITER, "PLUGGING INTO THE COMPUTER MARKET," VOL 97, APRIL,
       1984, P. 21.

5.     PHILIP ELMER-DEWITT, "HERE COME THE NETWORKERS," IN TIME,
       NOVEMBER 25, 1985, P. 100.

6.     SHARON BEGLEY, ET AL., "THE CREATIVE COMPUTERS," IN NEWSWEEK,
       JULY 5, 1982, P. 58.

                             BIBLIOGRAPHY

     BEGLEY, SHARON, ET AL., "THE CREATIVE COMPUTERS," NEWSWEEK.
          JULY 5, 1982.

     FORESTER, TOM, HIGH-TECH SOCIETY, CAMBRIDGE, MA: THE MIT PRESS.
          1987.

     FRATES, JEFFREY AND MOLDRUP, WILLIAM, COMPUTERS AND LIFE.
          ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, NJ: PRENTICE-HALL, INC., 1983.

     THE WRITER. "PLUGGING INTO THE COMPUTER MARKET," APRIL, 1984.

     SAVAGE, JOHN, ET AL., THE MYSTICAL MACHINE. READING, MA:
          ADDISON-WESLEY PUBLISHING CO., INC., 1986.

     ELMER-DEWITT, PHILIP, "HERE COME THE NETWORKERS," TIME, NOVEMBER
          25, 1985.

     TANGORRA, JOANNE, "OF WRITERS, BY WRITERS, FOR WRITERS,"
          PUBLISHERS WEEKLY, OCTOBER 25, 1985.

     DERTOUZOS, MICHAEL AND MOSES, JOEL, THE COMPUTER AGE:A TWENTY-YEAR
          VIEW. CAMBRIDGE, MA: THE MIT PRESS. 1983.

jimb@pogo.gpid.tek.com (Jim Bailey) (04/10/88)

The use of computers by writers is a mixed blessing, the
first drawback is the tendency to overedit.  I find myself
doing this.  Every time I read a paper there are revisions.
Looking back, some of them are changes back to the original.

The worse problem is bloated writing.  I find authors writing
books that could have been stated in half the words.  It can't
be proven that the use of computers causes it, the relationship
could be coincidental.  The computer does make writing easier
and this could be a contributing factor to less well thought
out and concise writing.

Jim

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (04/10/88)

Henry M. Grouten wrote about The Computer-Writer, saying:

>     Despite the advantages and benefits of using computers to assist in
> composing literature, not all writers are enthusiastic.  Some writers,
> for a variety of reasons, choose not to have a computer assistant to aid
> them in their work.

The same can be said of synthesizers being introduced into music.  Just
a few weeks ago I saw a demonstration of a Yamaha machine that allowed
the young man playing it to sound like an entire symphony orchestra!  To
some this technology means that the individual is capable of extending
themselves further.  On the other hand, the purist in that art will
scoff that it makes it too easy to compose music.  There is much to be
said for both arguments.

>     Perhaps these writers are bent on traditional methods and look upon
> computers as just another "machine", or they're reluctant to introduce
> anything between themselves and the finished product.

That depends upon what role the computer takes on.  If it is simply a
replacement for the typewriter, then it can speed up the production of
the final manuscript.  If it is involved in the composition stage,
perhaps there are different issues to be explored.  The composition
process may be influenced by the medium used to aid in composing text:
pencil and paper, a typewriter or a computer.  In the ideal case, one
would like to be able to utilize the benefits of the advanced
technology, while not interfering with the composition process.  In
practice, I doubt this is the case today.

>     Computers might make greater advances in the arts, if first they
> could deal with artists' prejudices.  "Most artists regard computers
> with wariness at best, and outright hostility at worst."  That's another
> motive for those writers who choose not to use computers to compose
> their work.

We are a long way from achieving this.  A tailorable user interface will
be there in the future.  I believe that Henry mentioned the Electronic
Information Exchange System (EIES) in his article.  There is a second
generation version of that system that has been worked on over the past
several years called Tailorable Electronic Information Exchange System
(TEIES) that will appear in the near future (or so I think).  Perhaps
someone at NJIT can comment on the progress of this system.

>     Most members of society hold some beliefs and attitudes when it
> comes to computers.  If these attitudes have no basis in the working
> knowledge, or training and education concerning computers, they will
> undoubtedly influence the writer's decision to not employ a computer.

I think this is just a part of one's personality.  Some people are
always leary of something new.  Others will be able to take on the
beast, master it, and utilize it to it's potential.  Before my father
retired he was starting to learn how to use UNIX.  And he had absolutely
no previous experience with computers.  He simply was curious.

>     Personally, I believe that any prolific (probably wouldn't be if
> it wasn't for computer technology) writer would be doing herself an
> injustice by not taking advantage of a computer's word processing
> capabilities.  With this technology comes efficiency, and doesn't that
> mean time, and to a prolific writer, isn't time money!
>     The real substance of writing lies within the artist's innate
> talents and abilities, and not in a machine.  On the other hand, using
> a computer as an aid in formatting (the layout, of course, coming from
> the artist) to make the final product "nice and pretty looking" is fine.

The computer is nothing more than a tool.  I think that there is
some sort of mystic surrounding the machine that people must get over
before they can start to see how the tool may be utilized.

I think that an area where computers may aid certain types of writers in
the future will be in the ability to communicate with other machines and
aid in the research phase of writing.  Many envision a future where
information access via computer over some communications link (dial-up,
ISDN, etc....)  will be common place.  The availability of information
to writers provided by this capability would increase their productivity
just as much, if not more than the word processor.

George