[comp.society] Urban legends -- gyroscopic drum memory

deh0654@sjfc.UUCP (Dennis Hamilton) (04/27/88)

Jonathan Eckrich wrote:

> Larry Kollar wrote about a CDC disk flipping over a trailer truck...
> I don't believe it.  Here's why.
> In order for the truck to tip over in a turn due to the spinning disks,
> there is only ONE axis in which the disks could be spinning.  That
> axis would have to be lateral to the dimensions of the truck.

Prior to the development of compact removable disk packs (with the
introduction of the IBM System/360, essentially), disk stacks were
large *and* non-removable.  Although the first one was vertical
(the IBM RAMAC unit), there were also some large units designed
with horizontal axis of rotation.

However, the story about disk stacks doesn't sound too credible:
the moment of inertia of a disk stack is not nearly so impressive
as that of a horizontally-axised *drum* with its large outer
surface.  The Fastrand I and II drum units were much more imposing
in this regard, and the problem of shipboard use not something to
be taken lightly.

Concerning the story about shipboard 1108's, that is a mix of the wrong
technology.  Fastrand may have been considered for use aboard ship,
though I can't imagine their placement on anything smaller than a
cruiser or aircraft carrier.  The computer technology would have been
defense equipment out of Univac St. Paul, probably something between
the CDC 1604 and Univac 49x in architecture.

Although there is certainly a high degree of "urban legend" to these
stories, the shipboard case is actually quite plausible.  Whether
the problem of gyroscopic effect was very difficult to remedy or not
is a different matter.  Someone who knows the masses involved in
gyrostabilizers might want to indicate how hard or easy it is to
interfere with the steering of a vessel.  It would certainly be the case
that motion of the ship would be a problem for the drive unit, and
some sort of steps would have to be taken to minimize the resulting
stresses.  Fortunately, disk technology was revolutionized before
there would have been much need to solve such problems on a regular
basis.  The current vertical-axis units must still present problems
with respect to roll of the ship.  I wonder what kind of special measures
are taken, especially to prevent head crashes as the result of such
forces interacting with the drive unit.

Dennis E. Hamilton