[comp.society] Manipulation of Courtroom Evidence

wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) (02/23/90)

> Any question on the quality of the picture is a question about the
> quality of the witness.

Don't you have to sign photos, tapes, videos, etc.?  If it is doctored,
the person who signed it goes to jail for purgery, no?  It was always
possible to air-brush or retouch photos.  Computers don't make it that
much easier.  It was always possible to synthesize taped testimony.  Since
all this stuff needs a person behind it, computers won't hurt or hinder
the current courtroom system.

Mitchell

stuartw@tove.umd.edu (Stuart M. Weinstein) (02/23/90)

> I do not know how it is in the real world, but here in Wisconsin the law
> on photographs is quite clear.  A Photo is admitted as a part of the
> evidence submitted by a witness.

Does this mean that if the photograph was manipulated, the witness
can be charged with perjury, as if s/he lied on an affidavit?

Stuart

philip@pescadero.Stanford.Edu (Philip Machanick) (02/23/90)

I was doing a demo of DTP concepts a year ago, and happened to be using
Image Studio. I hadn't used the program before, and was jut using it to
illustrate a point, when someone in the audience said, "Can you make
that tree disappear?" This I accomplished in about a minute. Imagine
what a skilled person could do.

Also, remember that the courtroom is but one context where this may be a
problem. A corrupt TV station/politician etc. could do a great job of
inventing "mud" for an opponent with a bit of creative editing.

Don't tell me this isn't happening already. The issue is not the
availability of tools, but checks on corruption inherent in a specific
form of society (including the way courts operate), surely.

Philip Machanick

bp@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) (02/23/90)

Walter Nirenberg writes:

> .. investigating the impact of recent computer graphics technology
> advances on the use of video and photographs as courtroom evidence.

There was an apocryphal story going around the NYIT Computer Graphics
Laboratory when I started working there in 1982. At that time we had a
24-bit paint system with NTSC scanners and high-resolution photo
output, similar to what you can do on a PC today.

It was said that a manager who wanted to void a traffic ticket had one
of our painters alter a photograph to put a tree in front of a stop sign.
The forgery wasn't good enough to fool the judge, who told the manager
to pay up or go to jail.

Now this could just be an entertaining story that someone there cooked
up, especially since this particular manager was sort of unpopular with the
research staff. I have no evidence that it ever happened.

					Bruce Perens
					ucbvax!pixar!bp

> So.  What we need is information of a technical and intellectual
> nature pertaining to this topic.  Is there software available for
> these inexpensive machines to enable average people to do this?
> Has anyone seen examples of this kind of manipulation?  etc.

There is a very relevant issue of the "Whole Earth Review" you
should track down, sorry I can't find my copy to tell you which,
but it was sometime last year I believe (maybe?).  Has flying
saucers on the cover (faked of course).

Kee Hinckley

gahooten@orion.arc.nasa.gov (Gregory A. Hooten) (02/24/90)

This type of deception has gone on for a long time, and there is a whole
battery of tests that can be run to see if the photo is real.  One is to
check for the consistency of background lighting, or the abrupt changes
in shading.  Remember that to make a forgery, you had to scan it in
in the first place, edit it, and then get it back to a photo.  All of
this can be done by an investigator.  As closely as you can look at
the photo, they can too.  There will always be bits that were not changed
to the correct pattern, or that were cut out of one photos background, and
placed into another.  These bits can be read.  It is easy to fool many
people, but it is more difficult  to fool them for long.

Greg

len@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Leonard P Levine) (02/25/90)

Stuart M. Weinstein asked whether a manipulated or doctored photograph
being admitted as evidence could result in the witness being charged
with perjury, "as if s/he lied on an affidavit"?

Sure does.

Leonard P. Levine

buckland@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Tony Buckland) (02/25/90)

There's a thread in this discussion that says more or less
"yeah, but you have to sign it and face possible perjury charges".
This won't work for two classes of people; perpetrators who
would face severe enough penalties if convicted that they have
in their judgement nothing to lose; and the amoral types who
would coldly calculate the odds of being caught and the rewards
of getting away with it, and then cheerfully perjure themselves
every day of the week if the numbers came out right.

Tony

jsb@panix.UUCP (J. S. B'ach) (02/26/90)

Alan Sanders comments that "ImageStudio and Digital Darkroom can manipulate
scanned or direct video input in a seamless fashion. And Adobe Systems has
just released PhotoShop, which takes the capabilities of this type of
software to new heights. Of course, none of these programs are intended to
be used for fraudulent image manipulation. But I agree that the possibilities
are scary."

Alan, if by "fraudulent" you include ad agencies making products look better
than they are, they most certainly are intended to be used that way.

Interestingly enough, the CIA has shown interest in ColorStudio and ImageStudio,
not, so they claim, because they would ever try to doctor photographs in this
way, but because they want to be able to understand the doctoring process well
enough to be able to detect the fraudulent images created by others.

J.S.

jgk@osc.osc.COM (Joe Keane) (03/18/90)

Ludovic van B writes:

> Maybe the only way to make sure a photograph is valid as courtroom evidence
> is to ask for the negative. I feel this is - still - impossible, I mean
> tampering with negatives or creating entirely false ones.

If you can create a perfect fake photograph, complete all the artifacts you'd
have in a real photograph, it should be easy to make a negative from that.  I
don't see how you could tell this from an authentic negative.  Maybe there's
some aging process in the negative which lets you date when it was exposed or
developed?  I don't know of any.

> On the other hand, proving that a tape recording is 'modified' or entirely
> false might be easier, I don't really know. Does anyone know whether computers
> can say with total accuracy that a voice is artificial? (Imitated is a piece
> of cake to detect) Even though the recording might be 'corrupted', i.e.
> 'noisy'? I'd like to know.

If you have a large amount of authentic recordings of some person's speech,
you can make a recording of him saying anything you want.  And if you're good,
there would be no way to tell that he didn't actually say it.  In many ways,
this is even easier than making a false photograph.  The only hardware you
need is a PC with A->D and D->A converters.  It might take a week of number
crunching, but that's not a big problem.

Joe