= ========================================================================

From: Perry Morrison MATH <pmorriso@gara.une.oz.au>

A colleague and I have recently published with MOT Press and Basil
Blackwell a new book on computer ethics.

[Forester, T., Morrison, P. (1990). Computer Ethics. Basil Blackwell,
Oxford, UK  ISBN: 0-631-17242-4]

If you are interested, I could provide you with a copy.

= ========================================================================

From: reggie@pdn.paradyne.com (George Leach)

[Stuff deleted]

       I teach part-time for the Engineering Technology Department at
St Petersburg Junior College, in St Petersburg, Florida here in the US.
Our department offers a course in ethics that is a requirement for a
Associate's Degree.  I am not sure if it is a required course or not
for students who will transfer to a four year engineering program at
another university (we are a two year program).  I have Cc'd Brad Jenkins,
who is the department head.  Perhaps he can either mail you some info
or provide it to me.

      I have also Cc'd Gene Spafford, who is an Assistant Professor in
Computer Science at Purdue University, in West Lafayette, Indiana.  I
believe he teaches a course in Computer Ethics.  He might be able to
provide you some info.

[Stuff deleted]

= ========================================================================

From: "Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <PMW1@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>

There are various university policy statements archived at
listserv@unmvm.unm.edu (University of New Mexico, USA).  You may send
a NOTE To: listserv@unmvm.unm.edu with the body of text of

      GET fn POLICY

Included here is an INDEX of the various documents including the
x POLICY ones, though I think you'll be interested in INTERNET LIBRARY, too.

[Stuff deleted]

= ========================================================================

From: Dennis Davis <D.H.Davis@gdt.bath.ac.uk>

[Stuff deleted]

I haven't searched very hard, but the only book I've seen on
Computer Ethics is the following:

Title:     Computer Ethics
Author:    Deborah G Johnson
Publisher: Prentice-Hall
ISBN:      0-13-164005-4
Date:      1985

= ========================================================================

From: Ramayya Kumar <Kumar@iraul1.ira.uka.de>

You should also post this message to comp.society. Furthermore, you could try
to contact Rob Kling at UC Irvine who has been running an undergraduate course
in this area for many years. His email address is - kling@ics.uci.edu
He has been very helpfulin sending the contents of his course to me.

= ========================================================================

From: alpert@cs.bu.edu (Richard Alpert)

  This is the policy on computer use promulgated by the Boston Univeristy
Office of Information Technology, the group which provides computing services
to the University community at large.

Here in the Department, we have our own policies, and our own philosophy, which
contrasts somewhat from that stated below.  Within the Department, we have been
successful presenting ethical issues to our students in introductory classes.
Rather than prohibiting everything, we allow maximum access to our facilities,
then handle transgressions on an individual basis.

 .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .

Boston University                                       Last Modified: 03/26/90

               Conditions of Use and Policy on Computing Ethics

[The body is available from gunnar@cs.uit.no]

= ========================================================================

From: berman@yoko.rutgers.edu

I will send you, via air mail, a copy of the document we use
called "Policies and Procedures for Computer Use."  We are a
small undergraduate institution so it is probably not the
document you would write, but it may be interesting to you.

= ========================================================================

From: caasi@ucselx.sdsu.edu (richard)

[Stuff deleted]

You might try to anonymous ftp to ariel.unm.edu (129.24.8.1) which contains
a collection of ethics and security policy documents of various universities.

= ========================================================================

From: huff@acc.stolaf.edu

The ACM's SIG on Computers and Society just had its first meeting in
September in Washington and there was an entire day devoted to these
issues.  You should get the proceedings of that conference from the
ACM Order Department, P.O. Box 64145, Baltimore, MD, 21262.  The price
for non-members id $18, for members is $13.50

= ========================================================================

From: Michael G Koopman <mgkst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu>

   Any extension of this report into Industrial Ethics - especially with
regard to the employee's use of computing time for personal use - would
be of interest to me and others.  Please consider this in your future
work.

= ========================================================================

From: "Chris.Reynolds" <reynolds@syd.dit.csiro.au>

I have been doing work on the effect of data protection legislation on
computer conferencing and other matters relating to education.

You may find my paper "Computer Conferencing and Data Protection"
published in the March/April issue of the Computer Law and Security
Report of interest.

If you haven't a copy in your library, and would like one, plus some of
the other related material I have published, please let me know and I will
post it to you.

= ========================================================================

From: shapiro@sor.inria.fr

This response is not specific to Computer Science, but has to do with the
ethics of research in general.

Here at INRIA we have had a problem of conflict of interest.  Many researchers
have positions in start-up companies.  These companies use the results of
research which was paid by public money and the results goes into their private
pockets.  Personally I find this unethical.

There is also the problem of research contracts.  For instance one Esprit
contract involved a start-up comapny and an INRIA research group.  The leader
of the research group had responsibilities and financial interests in the
company.  He was accused of using the Esprit contract to pipe money into the
company.  The accusation was apparently disproved, but the situation is
recognized as unhealthy.

Therefore INRIA has edicted the following rule: researchers are not allowed to
take positions of responsibility, or own stock, in companies with which INRIA
deals.

= ========================================================================

From: John W. Smith <smith@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

quidelines for computer science departments, I am sending you three
statements that have been accepted as "official" policy for the
Computer Science Department at Indiana University.  There exists a
university-wide ethical use statement (which I am trying to get in
electronic form so that I can pass that on), which serves as an
umbrella policy.  The statements that follow represent computer
science exceptions to the general policy.

********

CSCI Facilities Operational Guidelines

[The body is available from gunnar@cs.uit.no]

CSCI Policy on System Administrator Access to Information

[The body is available from gunnar@cs.uit.no]

CSCI Policy on USENET feeds

From:  Graham Tritt <wgtr@cgch.uucp>

[Stuff deleted]

Have you seen my play on the topic of ethics in software development.
It was published in the Computer Risks forum and newsletter, and
presented in vaious places including DECUS Europe and the U.S.,
Drexel university and also by your own computer society
at I think a security conference.

= ========================================================================

From: Gerhard Weber <weber@dia.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>

There has been an article in the german magazine "Informatik-Spektrum"
about Ethics in Computer Science. In case you need further bibliographic
reference please let me know.

There is also a german organazation called FIFF which has published
some books on military applications as well as problems with ISDN.
All of this is in german, but ther is a sister organization in the US
that might have material too. I know also of a bulletin of the ACM
special interest group on Computers and Society, that covers this
aspect of education in computer science.

= ========================================================================

From: eas@munmurra.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Liz Sonenberg)

We at the University of Melbourne Computer Science Department
recently prepared the following document which may be of interest
to you. The first is a declaration which, if not signed and submitted
to the Department by a certain date will lead to loss of accounts etc.
The second is the substantive document.

I was primarily responsible for developing this document, and based it
on other similar statements I found - eg material from cacm in recent
(c. 1989) issues following the Morris Worm, and a statement fro
Rensselaer Polytechnic. I view it as a "first approximation" and
would like to improve it over time.

[Stuff deleted]

The University of Melbourne
Department of Computer Science
Student Behaviour Declaration

[The body is available from gunnar@cs.uit.no]

The University of Melbourne
Department of Computer Science
Principles of Responsible Student Behaviour

From: David Miller <dem@harlqn.co.uk>

In all seriousness, what is your definition of 'ethics'?
Obvious things like 'computer fraud' may relate.
Are (C.S. particulally) students not intended to push certain limits?
What about local personal bias?  I knew a CS lecturer who physically
ejected a student from the unix lab for speaking the word FORTRAN.
Not neccesarilly extreme..

I would be interested in a 'definition' of the term.

= ========================================================================

From: tmp@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Tom Putnam)

Use of Computing Center Facilities and Services

From: Carolyn M. Kotlas <kotlas@uncecs.edu>

[Stuff deleted]

As the result of a workshop I gave at a national conference here in the
U.  S., I am setting up a group electronic mailing list on our system to
discuss computers and ethics issues and to share campus policies and
other information.

Would you like your name included in the e-mail list so that you can
also receive this information and be able to contact others interested
in these topics?

= ========================================================================

That's all response I got..

Thanks to all who responded.

Gunnar Hartvigsen
Department of Computer Science
University of Tromsoe
N-9000 Tromsoe, NORWAY

eugene@nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (11/27/90)

Add:

See the latest Communications of the Association of Computing
Machinery.  The little quiz (Professional what-cha-ma-call-it).

e. nobuo miya